Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1980 White Falcon - One of the lasts of this era?

I came across this. Besides the steep price I wonder how many Falcons were built and sold that time. Can't be too many. Is that one of the lasts? No serial number in sight.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/1980...

I'm impressed by the quality of the photos. It certainly seems to be in great shape---it's not perfect, but it's not been abused. Even has the original Bud box stereo adapter and cable with molded connectors. I'm not too sure of what the exchange rate is these days, but it is a nice guitar with original case and parts.

Here's a question for the Falcon experts. When production moved to Booneville, did the White Falcon's gold binding material stay the same?

Wow, that is truly impressive!

I've always wondered about the switch where the master volume knob is supposed to be - is that a "volume switch?"

Wow, that is truly impressive!

I've always wondered about the switch where the master volume knob is supposed to be - is that a "volume switch?"

– Itchin For Gretschin

If I recall correctly, that's the closing switch, which functions essentially as a stereo/mono switch. More info HERE, go to about page 3.

I once owned a 1991 White Falcon. It was pretty cheaply built and the pickups were kind of weak but it looked gorgeous on stage.

I just sold my 1980 White Falcon 7595 for $4k a few weeks ago it was in pristine condition. Next up is My '64 Country Gent.

Regards,

Tom

That's a beauty! I've always thought the last Booneville Falcons were elegant.

I once owned a 1979-80 White Falcon exactly like the one shown . It was pretty cheaply built and the pickups were kind of weak but it looked gorgeous on stage.

(Same experience I had, "guitarcapo")

Yes!

I had one back in 1980 that I traded up for, plus some cash, in a store that they recently got in.

Sometimes the switches would act funny and not do what they were supposed to do and kind of "cheap".

Kind of cheap wiring it seemed like it had too.

Thin strands.

Nice colors though (Radio Shack like wiring)

This is way before you could get pickup replacements easily, rewiring and all that and I didn't know much back then to re-do or modify it.

It was a looker but not that great a player.

Kind of bulky, heavy but solid.

Didn't really have that "Great Gretsch Sound" but was OK.

Sort of a novelty piece, had a mystique but definitely "Baldwin" features.

The case was neat. lined with blue ,,

Sometimes it would sound better then at other times being at the mercy of the switches.

A hit and miss.

The Stereo option with the junction box did work well though.

Fun to play and needed two amps.

Bass strings on one, Treble strings on the other.

If I could Travis pick as well as I do now, it would be very cool!

Not a bad axe in general and got a few looks on the gig but the new Falcons really have the Sound, Mojo, etc.

Register Sign in to join the conversation