Gretsch Garage Sale

Any copies of Strat In The Attic available?

Hi all, I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I really would like to get a hold of a copy of The Strat In The Attic, for a Christmas gift. Prices for used copies on Amazon/Ebay are pretty out of control at the moment. Does anyone know of any store that may have any copies, or an individual that might have an extra copy for sale?

I saw a post not too long ago from Deke Dickerson that even he was amazed at what people were asking for Strat In The Attic online.

I have no idea what his publishing situation is but I'm surprised he hasn't started printing more (but as I said, I have no idea what the situation is for rights/publishing, etc).

What a great book that is!! And it's sequel as well!

Volume 2 does seem to be cheaper -- a bit.

Ya, I'm also surprised these books haven't been given a 2nd run yet. I even messaged Deke himself on the FB. Oh well.

Kindle version is still $12

Hi all, I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I really would like to get a hold of a copy of The Strat In The Attic, for a Christmas gift. Prices for used copies on Amazon/Ebay are pretty out of control at the moment. Does anyone know of any store that may have any copies, or an individual that might have an extra copy for sale?

– mikep13p

I just found my copy, which I was planning on listing in my quest toward being a minimalist, lol. If you're interested, send me an email at bakerstreet1972@hotmail.com and we can work something out. Thanks!

Awesome! Another dream realized with the help of the GDP!

There's gold on them there shelves! LOL

I can't bring myself to read it just because of the title. In 1982 I bought an "in the attic" '62 SB Strat along with a matching Princeton for $125 in the local Thrifty Nickel. I sold the amp for $125, and then 5 years later I sold the Strat for $600 when times were lean. It feels good to get that off my chest.

dlaf_2: Somewhere out there is the mirror image of that story!

dlaf_2: Somewhere out there is the mirror image of that story!

– nielDa

Wow! I thought you were kidding. The years are only slightly off and $25 difference, but otherwise it is scary dead-on.

Here's mine not long after I bought it...

I got my copy as a Christmas gift a couple of years back. I'd never even heard of it at the time so it really was a nice surprise.

There are quite a few of these rather quirky (and all the better for it) guitar related books that pop out from time to time and then disappear back down publishing's great rabbit hole in double quick time.

I have two particular favourites. One is Seventeen Watts, Mo Ostin's wonderfully funny account of British kids (like me) in the late '50s trying to get a handle on skiffle and rock'n'roll when a Watkins Dominator was sonic nirvana for a whole band ("but do we really need 17 watts?). The other is Chris Rea's The Fabulous Hofner Bluenotes, a magical mix of three cds, two ten-inch vinyl albums, several of Chris's paintings (Caravaggio's Hofner V3 anyone?) and some great period photographs, all all wrapped around the story of The Delmonts, a '50s instrumental group named after a brand of canned fruit, that transforms itself into a '60s blues band. It's all good stuff to have around, particularly at a time like this when I'm told I shouldn't even leave the house unless I really have to.

Register Sign in to join the conversation