Gretsch Garage Sale

Another Goodwill find.

as tempting as it is i am not bidding. I got one

cool find, and yeah --how does a refurbed 40s 400 end up here???

I have some sympathy - if you've ever had to settle an estate it will def cross your mind to just call goodwill and be done with it.

The refin brings the price down as well as the binding issues. Looks legit from the early '40's but I can't tell either if it's a 300 or 400. The 400's are very rare & worth serious money. IMO, this is already past the price of a super clean 300.

If it were a Gibson Super 400, it would be the steal of the decade!

How's a guitar so fine wind up in the Goodwill dumpster?

– crowbone

Answering my own question, I've trash picked an old Gibson SG, several amps, and some acoustic guitars, all needing a little tlc, but never something like that

Well it sold for $6002.00 Wow!

My senses told me it was a 300. There is something unmissable about an 18'' body and I didn't get that sense with this one, but it could be the dearth of photos and unhelpful angling. The market seems to think 400 based on the $6k price I guess.

Why so sure this is a refin? Gretsch did weird sunburst finishes like that although I'm not sure I've seen one from that era.

What suggested refin to me if anything was the photo with what looks like a good plug job of an added output jack--the paint on it matched perfectly which I expect would have been hard to do if the plug and paint had been done by itself.

She's back Evidently someone's finances didn't go through.

Someone here should own this one. Just sayin'

She's back Evidently someone's finances didn't go through.

Someone here should own this one. Just sayin'

– Suprdave

I noticed some loose binding issues, but, that is a beauty. $6K does seem awfully steep, tho. Right now, it's at $1500.

A lot of pics but oddly, none of the S/N stamped into the tip of the headstock or pencilled inside on the back.

The previous 'sale' of $6K went south either because the seller found out something further that put him off or their money went south. Pick your poison. For the condition issues, IMO, $6K is too much even if it's a Synchro 400. They're rarely scene let alone come up for sale but a similar era Super 400 would go for well into 5 digits.

Well, if it actually did sell this time it was 4k.

I hope somebody here ended up with this

I thought about posting when it was still up for auction but Some people don't like that.

Thanks for holding your fire Dave. Not that it was some amazing deal and the corrosion is bothersome.

But that's a sound I've never heard - 6973 power tubes and a 12' Jensen. I wrote them and told them to please remove the tubes and pack them carefully and separately, for if one of those 6973 are broken I'm sending it back. It will stop in my home state for a prima facie inspection then it will make its way to Europe for me if everything is in order.

I got a pair of 14'' 60s Zildjian hi hats from them last month and they are exceptional. I am hoping for another winner here.

Sweet deal, glad you got it. Certainly we want pics and updates, when she arrives.

Thanks. It won't be till the end of May that I see it. The secret is out much more regarding these Valco amps. I remember in the early 90s when my brother bought a 6152 amp just to get the knobs for a 50s Gretsch he bought that didn't have any knobs! One day a decade or so later he got the amp going and it was "wow".

This one I picked up yesterday is the same or near the same circuit as the most often cited (of about three Supros) to be Jimmy Page's Led Zeppelin 1 amp. We'll see.

The 6973 circuits paired with a 12” speaker are awsome. I built this one for Joe C’s swag giveaway at last years NorCal Roundup.

The RCA 6973’s are amazing. The EH reissues are.....meh.

Eager to see how your 6156 sounds.

The 6973 circuits paired with a 12” speaker are awsome. I built this one for Joe C’s swag giveaway at last years NorCal Roundup.

The RCA 6973’s are amazing. The EH reissues are.....meh.

Eager to see how your 6156 sounds.

– Powdog

I wish I was geographically capable of going to these Round Ups--that's a helluva prize! Thanks for the vindication on the quality this incoming amp should hopefully have. Your point on those Electro Harmonix 6973s is why I was at pains to tell SGW how to pack the tubes. Fingers crossed.

This poor thing Must have been Pete Townshends at some point in it's life. I can't believe people are bidding this high.

I bought a classical Guitar from Goodwill.com early on after this post came out and I learned of the site. As time goes on I'm seeing that people just bid foolishly high on items here, not sure why. Maybe its because they feel that since its "Goodwill" that they will get a good deal? Ending prices just seem really high compared to other venues.

Sometimes they do but I've also gotten some pretty sweet deals there. You have to keep an eye open and an open mind and watch for the final date. I picked this up for @ $400.00. I thought it was a pretty good deal. It certainly ended up being a nice guitar. I've been reserved about posting anything that's currently up for sale online. Some people may be bidding and get upset because I put it out there. This guitar has enough issues that I don't think anyone here would be bidding.

Register Sign in to join the conversation