Gretsch Garage Sale

Another Goodwill find.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com...

I'm not bidding on this one but this is pretty much the same guitar I bought there. It's almost too much to bid on already but just in case someone here is interested.

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't seen this site previous to you're mentioning it

Norm it is like shopping every Goodwill store in the USA from your computer. I have bought a guitar, a 4track cassette recorder, a GoPro camera and shoes from them. I watch weekly for deals on Gretsch. Almost got a Sundown Serenade acoustic last week.

This is the site that had the very rough Gretsch Fleetwood I lost out on last year right at the last few seconds with a stupid high bid. Turns out I found an even worse one - but perfect for what I wanted - on eBay and got that. Some things happen for a reason.

This is an excellent place to one-stop shop!

That Rally appears to be in pretty decent shape for a guitar being sold by Goodwill. It appears to be a 1967 model. But, what is with the awful fretboard inlays?

They might be stickers. Hard to tell.

Yeah, stickers. A lot of non-Gretsch players find the thumbnail markers difficult under low light situations. This is a good deal as the rot isn't too bad and the pickguard isn't broken. Original case too.

Interesting case interior. I never saw a roll like that before.

Seeing as people have to compete with the acquisition arm of Gibson Dependable if they want to do a deal like this it would be nice if people kept their mouths shut about sales in progress until after the fact!!

I thought there was an unwwritten rule about this here.

Well I understand that, Knavel and I apologize If this thread made for a bidding war, but I figured someone on this forum might be interested. As well, If I were going to bid, I'd likely let people know here that I had bid on it and I think most of us, If in the know, wouldn't compete.

Best of luck in winning this one.

Well I understand that, Knavel and I apologize If this thread made for a bidding war, but I figured someone on this forum might be interested. As well, If I were going to bid, I'd likely let people know here that I had bid on it and I think most of us, If in the know, wouldn't compete.

Best of luck in winning this one.

– Suprdave

It's near impossible to go after anything like this as Gibson Dependible doesn't care about repairs that can require $1k for anyone who would want a working instrument, thereby giving them a huge economic advantage over any normal buyer since it's hard to to tell if that $1K will be required till he actually sees the instrument.

I'm thoroughly confused. I'll quit posting guitar auctions, I guess.

It's probably my fault Dave. I have been in hospital for two months and my mental facilities have definitely suffered!

Seeing as people have to compete with the acquisition arm of Gibson Dependable if they want to do a deal like this it would be nice if people kept their mouths shut about sales in progress until after the fact!!

I thought there was an unwwritten rule about this here.

– knavel

I am unaware of any rule on this site, written or unwritten, that you don't mention a guitar being up for sale. If that were the case, there would be about 10% less threads than we otherwise have. At this very moment, for example, there is a thread about a 1956 6120, a 1959 (gold) 6120, and a 1956 White Penguin.

I have purchased a guitar that was posted about on the GDP by another member (of course, I checked with him first to see if he had a desire to purchase the guitar as I would not have tried to buy it out from under him) and have always assumed that that the was the proper etiquette. And then you simply have to wait it out and hope that no one else sees the thread and goes in and starts bidding against you. But, if one does, that is simply bad luck. But, I was nevertheless happy that he had posted about the guitar because I otherwise would not have learned about its existence.

As for Gibson Dependable, I have understood that he was a Gibson and PRS guy, with an occasional Ric. As such, he probably doesn't follow the GDP for guitars anyway.

No need to apologize or feel chastened, Suprdave.

You're in my prayers, Knavel. Get well,sir.

It's all good, Bob. My skin is very thick, anyway.

The evidence is gone per the "crash". But I remember vividly that "apossibleworld" was able to purchase at unfettered auction the only 1957 cadillac green duo seen on the market in 10 years.

http://gretschpages.com/for...

The evidence is gone per the "crash". But I remember vividly that "apossibleworld" was able to purchase at unfettered auction the only 1957 cadillac green duo seen on the market in 10 years.

http://gretschpages.com/for...

– knavel

Your point to the link, knavel? If there is such a rule, i've certainly violated it, and never had seen it. I've only been around since '10. So, must have been before then.

There's never been any such rule I was aware of. People talk about what they want to talk about (more or less). Bidding war is just another phrase for "Dang, I didn't know the market on those was that strong"

Here is the $1000 of binding rot the buyer takes on.

The shop also claims that those additional inlays are bored into the wood.

This is a first as far as inlays go. Who would do this damage!!!!

Yeah, that's not good. It's always buyer beware with goodwill.

Hope you're getting close to leaving the Hospital, Knavel.

Register Sign in to join the conversation