Gretsch Garage Sale

Al Caiola’s Country Club on Reverb

To the original post and the Country Club on reverb.com — in Al Caiola's version, it sounds to like he is playing a baritone guitar. Anybody else hear it that way?

(Hey Ed, good to see you here. Were you away a long while, or was it just me?)

I also seem to remember the story about Duane and a green CC lost in the Nashville flood. (Sounds like a song.)

Tim, a little detective work produced this Hollywood Reporter obituary on Al Caiola — the story is at least partly true — he did a version of the song which charted as a hit:

Link

Not sure if that version made the TV show (there were actually 12 versions of the theme produced for the TV show, over its long run). Also interesting is that he's credited for a hit version of the Henry Mancini theme from The Magnificent Seven.

– redrocker

Just a point of clarification. Henry Mancini wrote the Peter Gunn theme. The theme for The Magnificent Seven was by Elmer Bernstein. The theme from Bonanza was written by Jay Livingston and Ray Evans.

Jay Livingston also wrote (and sang) the theme for Mr Ed!

Of course.

So Deed, was the Al Casey Country Club lost in the flood?

The CClub wasn't lost, but it suffered a lot of damage that put it into the unplayable category, sadly. In the brave attempt to salvage the guitars from Soundcheck (once the floodwaters receded from the building), all the cases were left behind. Case candy? It just kills me...the original bridge and tailpiece were in the Club's case, lost forever.

The guitar is now displayed in The Musicians Hall of Fame. Joe Chambers had extensive repairs done on a number of instruments that went through the flood, and if you really didn't know, you wouldn't think these poor guitars had been floating in muddy waters for four or five days. But look a little deeper and you can see the finish looks like a bit like snakeskin, totally checked... the pickups and other metal parts have rust here and there. Just sad.

Duane had that Country Club for forty years. He used it to record Peter Gunn with Art of Noise in 1986. That guitar was a Grammy winner.

The CClub wasn't lost, but it suffered a lot of damage that put it into the unplayable category, sadly. In the brave attempt to salvage the guitars from Soundcheck (once the floodwaters receded from the building), all the cases were left behind. Case candy? It just kills me...the original bridge and tailpiece were in the Club's case, lost forever.

The guitar is now displayed in The Musicians Hall of Fame. Joe Chambers had extensive repairs done on a number of instruments that went through the flood, and if you really didn't know, you wouldn't think these poor guitars had been floating in muddy waters for four or five days. But look a little deeper and you can see the finish looks like a bit like snakeskin, totally checked... the pickups and other metal parts have rust here and there. Just sad.

Duane had that Country Club for forty years. He used it to record Peter Gunn with Art of Noise in 1986. That guitar was a Grammy winner.

– Deed Eddy

Well that's just the saddest story for a guitar.

Did you read my (above yours) post?

Bob Bain

– Deed Eddy

I just caught up to your posting this. Bob Bain. The Batman guitar. OMG -- and I never use that phrase. I do have all the (Johnny) Staccato episodes but only recognized John(ny) Williams from that episode. I'm glad Fender is honoring him. Thanks again for posting.

Register Sign in to join the conversation