Modern Gretsch Guitars

6128 rear inspection cover removal

Or should I say CAN'T remove. The Amp input Jack is very loose and needs tightening. Simple solution the nut won't tighten it up so I need to get something on the inside of the jack I think. Problem is that the inspection cover (after removing the three screws won't come loose. I have tried knife blade, razor blade, prying from screw holes, Ice pack on the cover(trying to contract it enough to loosen.) I haven't tried a suction cup yet, and I am considering a shot of WD 40. Anyone have any experience to share?

No WD-40 ever---it contains silicon, and you'll never be able to get it cleaned off. A good suction cup may do it. You are talking about the output Jack, correct? You'll want to hold it tight from the inside while tightening from the outside because if it spins, you could break wires. A lock washer may be in order.

Exactly what I thought on the jack... yes the input.

Take a pair of tweezers and stick them in the 1/4" hole then apply some side pressure and remove the nut. You can do the same think with a dowell.

Oh, I misread the goal. Use a slightly larger screw in one of the holes. Turn it 'til it's snug then lift.

From the WD40 site;

While the ingredients in WD-40® Multi-Use Product are secret, we can tell you what it does NOT contain. WD-40® Multi-Use Product does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, graphite, or chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs).

Curt, Thanks, I hate to impose on you,

As usual... Curt's got the solution... Thanks.

WD40 is good for lots of things, like cleaning pots. I think there are better ways to pop the cover loose though. Thread a bigger screw a turn into one of the holes and pull on it. It's just stuck with dirt. Is the cover metal or plastic?

WD-40 is no secret. It is fish oil.

Don, is this your George Harrison 6128? If so, it's not that old. They may have put the cover on before the paint was dry. Billy and Curt have the right answer, I think.

No silicone in WD-40. Fish oil (like Rustoleum). OK. I learn something every day.

WD-40 if it needs to move and doesn't. Duct tape if it moves and shouldn't. Got it.

WD-40 acts like a paint remover. Don't let it near your guitar.

Register Sign in to join the conversation