Gretsch Garage Sale

50’s Amp - Gibson Les Paul junior

I think someone with a 50's Les Paul Junior Guitar should reunite this little amp with a similar guitar. Serial No. 7177. I bought it a few years ago at a pawn shop. I had a grounded plug put on it and some rotten caps and tubes replaced. Rich sound for its size and 5x7 oblong speaker. I have about $600 into this.

Pass along or give me advice

I had one of these as a kid. I trash picked it and took it to an amp guy in town that told me the transformer was fried and I might as well throw it away.

So I did.

I had one of these as a kid. I trash picked it and took it to an amp guy in town that told me the transformer was fried and I might as well throw it away.

So I did.

– crowbone

Thanks?

Thanks?

– jps1965

Haha. Sorry it's such an anticlimactic story, but it's the only one I have about that model amp, and I still haven't heard one in person. I hope yours sounds great, man.

Like the Gretsch G5222 and the Fender Champ 600 reissues, Gibson reissued these awhile back, They had one in a blue Plexiglass/Perspex cab----for $1K new. I've had a few Gibson amps, and a couple have been great.

I think someone with a 50's Les Paul Junior Guitar should reunite this little amp with a similar guitar. Serial No. 7177. I bought it a few years ago at a pawn shop. I had a grounded plug put on it and some rotten caps and tubes replaced. Rich sound for its size and 5x7 oblong speaker. I have about $600 into this.

Pass along or give me advice

– jps1965

oooh my gawd, I need this amp!!!

Wow that thing looks just like the Fender Campion 600 (both the original and the reissue)... I've never seen a Gibson amp that looked just like a Fender amp.... I wonder what the story was way back when that made that so? And I wonder how close (if at all) the Gibson amp circuit is to the original 5C1

for those interested:

With just three tubes and simple cream-colored tolex, the Gibson GA-5 was a pretty major departure from Gibson's previous lineup. It also looked just like an amp Fender had released in 1948: the Champ (technically, the Champion 600).

That's not where the similarities ended. During the 1950s, the circuits of the Champ and GA-5 were almost identical. Their schematics call for different values on a couple of components, but not drastically different: in fact, almost within the 20% tolerance that was standard in 50s circuits. Inside and out, the Champ and the GA-5 are pretty much the same amp.

https://www.tropicalfishvin...

I'm actually expecting to do a deal for a 1960 Les Paul Jr in a few weeks. if you still have it when the deal goes down I will probably take it

Hey! I got your note. I'm still waiting to see if the 1960 deal is actually going to go through. will let you know!!

Register Sign in to join the conversation