Gretsch Garage Sale

1978 Gretsch Roy Clark Model 7683

This immaculate Roy Clark model is going up for auction soon on ebay. It #1 of 2 prototypes made for Roy Clark. Roy took and played #2. Most of you already know the history of the Roy Clark model. I have owned it for 26 years and am downsizing. The bigsby was add in the early 1990's before I obtained it.

cool guitar!

I like that. A lot.

(Well, not so much the Leo Quan Badass bridge or the black-top Filters. But the shape and the general vibe.)

Just saw a video of Roy playing one. I thought the head stock was weird, Y'all answered my question.

Lee

Dang they're doing HIdeaway...! Or something close to it. Check out the bass guy working out on Peavey bass and Kustom bass amp

I like that. A lot.

(Well, not so much the Leo Quan Badass bridge or the black-top Filters. But the shape and the general vibe.)

– Proteus

You know those are just plain old 70s FilterTrons, right? They just doubled up on HiLoTron cases for awhile in the 70s to cut some costs. They're not different than other 70s FilterTrons though. The concept of a blacktop filtertron as a different flavor of 'tron is very much a modern thing.

Although it probably merits mentioning that sometime in the 70s they may have moved to ceramic magnets. I've never confirmed that though. If they did, though it was probably around 78, as best as I can tell. And I am going off memory there.

like the super axe....that's another guitar i could see gretsch re-releasing...they have a modern aesthetic

cheers

Yeah my 72 deluxe Chet's filtertrons in hilotron covers are identical to 60s filtertrons in every aspect (including sound) except for the covers. People say the 70's 'blacktop' filtertrons were a lot hotter but I had a fellow who had a 78 super chet measure his and they were right around 4k, same as all filtertrons.

You know those are just plain old 70s FilterTrons, right? They just doubled up on HiLoTron cases for awhile in the 70s to cut some costs. They're not different than other 70s FilterTrons though. The concept of a blacktop filtertron as a different flavor of 'tron is very much a modern thing.

If I ever knew that, I didn't remember. I haven't played enough 70s FilterTrons to know their character - but if they sound like 60s 'trons, maybe I'd like them better than the current blacktops (which somehow don't quite do it for me, even on my second go-round with them).

Anyway - petty and superficial as I am, it's the look and the plain metal rings that puts me off more than anything about the pickups themselves.

I had a '73 7660 Nashville with those pickups. When I got it, the pickups had never been raised and the pole screws were flat. The guitar sounded dead. I tucked some foam under the pickups and balanced the strings... AND WOW! That thing came to life. It was one of the few Gretsch guitars I owned that didn't get a TVJ work over.

I think Gretsch used the same designers as American Motors AMC in the 70's, makers of the Gremlin and the Pacer.

Baxter and Toxophilite: Back in the early 1980's I spoke with Duke Kramer specifically about the differences between black top Filtertrons and 60's Filtertrons. He told me that while retaining the Filtertron "sound", Gretsch boosted the "power" of the blacktops and as issued in the 1970's, he told me they were rated between 7.4 ohms and 7.6 ohms. He said they made the pickups hotter because the Filterons simply didn't generate the decibels of a Gibson humbucker and they needed to stay competitive with Gibson

This guitar along with a Princess that I own were featured in the 1994 Vintage Guitar Calendar.

Baxter and Toxophilite: Back in the early 1980's I spoke with Duke Kramer specifically about the differences between black top Filtertrons and 60's Filtertrons. He told me that while retaining the Filtertron "sound", Gretsch boosted the "power" of the blacktops and as issued in the 1970's, he told me they were rated between 7.4 ohms and 7.6 ohms. He said they made the pickups hotter because the Filterons simply didn't generate the decibels of a Gibson humbucker and they needed to stay competitive with Gibson

– ewkewk

Yeah, but that's when they went to the alnico magnets. That's not a blacktop difference, though, it's that filtertrons in general changed in the mid-ish 70s. As noted above, an early 70s blacktop is pretty much the same as a 60s filtertron, and a later 70s blacktop is pretty much the same as a late-70s "proper" filtertron, or a 90s Filtertron, for that matter.

tjjohnzz, if you're interested in giving some Gretsch lovers a chance at buying before putting her up on ebay, post some more pics and a price. You may be able to sell it here before it goes to the bay.

Yeah, but that's when they went to the alnico magnets. That's not a blacktop difference, though, it's that filtertrons in general changed in the mid-ish 70s. As noted above, an early 70s blacktop is pretty much the same as a 60s filtertron, and a later 70s blacktop is pretty much the same as a late-70s "proper" filtertron, or a 90s Filtertron, for that matter.

– Baxter

That's the case with the Blacktops that came in my '72 Super Chet. They were around 4+. They're just sitting on the shelf now.

Well, the pricing is my problem. I'm considering getting Gruhn to value it. What do you think?

That's probably not a bad idea.

Looks like a Koll Duo Glide which for me means pretty darn cool.

Cool looking geet.

Wasn't Dean Turner the owner of that for a while? I know i saw him talking about it on an old video back in the early 90's ,didn't have the Bigsby on it then, IIRC.

Please post the link to the auction.

I love watching the prices soar for things like this.

Cool looking geet.

Wasn't Dean Turner the owner of that for a while? I know i saw him talking about it on an old video back in the early 90's ,didn't have the Bigsby on it then, IIRC.

– JCHiggy

Yup. I never met him, but he said he was the first owner. Don't know if he bought it or what. Somehow in 1989 Art Wiggs ended up with it and I think he put the Bigsby on it. I bought it from Wiggs out of San Jose, CA in 1993, almost 26 years ago.

Love the body shape, modern in an old fashioned sort of way.

Well, the pricing is my problem. I'm considering getting Gruhn to value it. What do you think?

– tjjohnzz

That would be a good move as having Wiggs associated with a guitar isn't doing it any favors, especially regarding authenticity. I'm just sayin', with Ed's latest posting regarding a guitar on the auction block for Heritage that he claims is all original that Ed proves is a blatant fake. Good luck.

Register Sign in to join the conversation