Gretsch Garage Sale

1962 Fender Jazzmaster

This guitar was purchased at a police auction in 1968 and kept by the same owner until just a few months ago. He had it refinished in Olympic White back in 2013; the refinish is of very high quality.

The back of the neck and headstock have been oversprayed, but this was done quite a while ago and has settled in nicely. It feels as old as the guitar. The fretboard is very dark. The guitar had a recent refret, and the wire is larger than would have been stock.

The decal is half-original.

Both original pickups are included, but only the original neck pickup is currently installed. In the bridge, I have a Curtis Novak JM-PAF, which is a pickup I'd highly recommend dropping into the bridge position of any Jazzmaster. The improvement is vast. You won't want to change it out.

The guitar plays and sounded phenomenal, and is set up to perfection (yes, even with the original bridge) with D'Addario NYXL 11-49 strings. I have been gigging with this guitar - it needs nothing and is ready to rock.

Includes the original brown tolex hardshell case.

Asking $3900 shipped & PP'd, but I'm really interested in trading it for a Gretsch, specifically a Steven Stern Custom Shop White Penguin (other colors considered), Sparkle Jet, or White Falcon (other colors considered). Happy to add money / do a partial trade if necessary. Thanks!

Photos here: https://imgur.com/a/eQsMhYw

Nice, is that a slab board? Any dates on neck or body?

Nice, is that a slab board? Any dates on neck or body?

– JazzBoxJunky

Yes, it is a slab board!

I believe the neck is June '62. I don't recall there being any dates on the body (they are likely under the finish).

Where have you been hiding?!

– Curt Wilson

Hello Curt! Mostly on Instagram. :)

I am not a qualified buyer, but an admiring drooler. I bought a blond jazzmaster new in 1962 and kept it until it was destroyed in a fire in 1970. You can't believe the memories that are flooding right now.

Best of luck on the sale. Some lucky person is going to be very happy.

Geez. It's hard not to love that.

I don’t have any new Gretsch guitars to trade, any interest in vintage Gretsch, or Guild?

I don’t have any new Gretsch guitars to trade, any interest in vintage Gretsch, or Guild?

– JazzBoxJunky

Possibly - whatcha got?

Is that a vintage guard or is it Memorex?! You say it's non-original, but it looks 100 percent authentic.

Is that a vintage guard or is it Memorex?! You say it's non-original, but it looks 100 percent authentic.

– seadevil

I stand corrected - the pickguard is indeed original.

Register Sign in to join the conversation