Gretsch Garage Sale

1958 single anniversary

This is a Gretsch single anniversary that came from an estate, it has a patent applied for Filtertron pickup and an ebony fretboard. These 2 factors and the serial number date it to 1958.

The good: The guitar has a very solid neck joint. It has a chunky neck and there is no detectable (at least by me) twisting or warping. It plays pretty well. With some attention to a couple of high frets, the action could be extremely low. I believe that it has had a re-fret as there is no fret wear to speak of. It has what I believe to be an original Bigsby vibrato. The binding is in excellent condition. Strap buttons are original. It comes with a decent (non Gretsch) hard case. Pickup is strong and it sounds really good.

The not so good: The guitar has been non-professionally refinished. It appears to have been stained and coated with polyurethane. Bridge is not original and not a good choice. A Compton bridge would be a great alternative. The bridge base may be original which will make for an easy change over. The one volume knob is from a later era (Baldwin). Pick guard is from a later era. Tuners were changed out to Grover Super Rotomatics (the ones with the fancy buttons).

The guitar is perfectly functional . It is an opportunity to own a vintage Gretsch without needing to take a second mortgage. price is $900. Shipping at actual cost. Feel free to ask questions. Thanks for looking.

Pretty sure nobody would take a chance on a modified guitar (as you've described it) without seeing a photograph or two. The neck joint is interesting, but let's see the rest.

Have any Annies --especially the Filtertron ones -- been known to have original Bigsby? I thought every last one was added on -- not that it really matters tho.

I actually put a bunch of pictures up but only one stuck. I’ll try again.

Regarding the Bigsby, I think there is a picture of one in the Gretsch book. The interesting thing is I can’t find extra holes from an original G tailpiece. I have a picture of this that I’ll try to put up. The guitar sounds extremely good, much better than any hilotron anniversary that I’ve played.

Ok. I’m having trouble posting photos. Can anyone help me with this. I’ve posted photos here before, without difficulty. I’m using an iPad.

In the alternative, I’d be happy to email photos if you give me an email address to send them to.

The bigsby looks like a B3 so I wouldn't guess it was original.

Looks like a Baldwin knob on it.

A Bigsby from 1958 is pretty easy to identify, compared to those of the 60s and later. With a better close-up we could determine that, but I agree with tabletop... if it's a B3 it does not bode well for it to be original.

The knob is definately Baldwin era. The Reason that I think that the Bigsby could be original is that there are no extraneous open or filled holes on the rim of the guitar. I suppose that one way to be sure would be to take the tail piece off. Not worth doing given that the vintage vibe has left the building.

If I were to keep this guitar I’h hit the high frets with a buzz off, change the bridge to a Compton, change the knob and maybe change the tuners to regular rotomatics. The other thought that I’ve had was to strip the guitar, fine sand it, mask it and have it painted. A guy that I knew would call a body shop to find out what color(s) they were spraying on a given day. It was a very economical way to get a guitar refinished.

Needless to say, what was done to this guitar is unspeakable,

The apparent lack of holes for the screw in Bigsby tines is evidence of a modern era Bigsby. Here is a pic of my 59 Anniversary's tailpiece mount. It could just be that the Bigsby well covers the G tailpiece holes on yours.

I wouldn't say the guitar has lost its vintage vibe--don't be so hard on it! Some people like the opportunity to get in on the action more cheaply. They might see here an ideal candidate for a less guilty bridge pick up addition. Plus if this is 58, isn't it then a heavy trestle? That's relatively rare. A lot of vibe there.

What's curious to me is that the guitar has a black pickguard. Neither the smoke green, nor the sunburst, nor the two-tone tan Anniversaries of 1958 had a black pickguard.

I’m interested. Been looking for a birth year Gretsch. Where are you located?

What's curious to me is that the guitar has a black pickguard. Neither the smoke green, nor the sunburst, nor the two-tone tan Anniversaries of 1958 had a black pickguard.

– ewkewk

With so little being original to this guitar, it doesn't seem like a stretch to assume the guard has been changed too. Maybe a Clipper guard, or just a repro.

I agree with knavel... this project Annie has potential. The filtertron and trestle bracing are a nice foundation if you're looking to do a "conversion" to 6120 specs!

With so little being original to this guitar, it doesn't seem like a stretch to assume the guard has been changed too. Maybe a Clipper guard, or just a repro.

Or, given that someone refinished the guitar, they took the paint off of the original guard as well and refinished that. It's not something I would be too bothered about net/net.

I’m interested. Been looking for a birth year Gretsch. Where are you located?

– NJBob

I’m in St. Petersburg FL.

– kc_eddie_b

I’m thinking that it is a later puckguard.

The apparent lack of holes for the screw in Bigsby tines is evidence of a modern era Bigsby. Here is a pic of my 59 Anniversary's tailpiece mount. It could just be that the Bigsby well covers the G tailpiece holes on yours.

I wouldn't say the guitar has lost its vintage vibe--don't be so hard on it! Some people like the opportunity to get in on the action more cheaply. They might see here an ideal candidate for a less guilty bridge pick up addition. Plus if this is 58, isn't it then a heavy trestle? That's relatively rare. A lot of vibe there.

– knavel

Thanks for posting this. If the Bigsby covers the previous holes , it’s a good thing.

It is fo sho a heavy trestle.

Hey hsrc... has the label survived on this Annie? I'm wondering about the "58" attribution, based on the filtertron bezel. Let us know the first three digits of the serial # and we can confirm the model year.

Hey hsrc... has the label survived on this Annie? I'm wondering about the "58" attribution, based on the filtertron bezel. Let us know the first three digits of the serial # and we can confirm the model year.

– kc_eddie_b

The serial number, on the label, dates it to 1958. I had a similar thought on the filtertron bezel. I had a ‘59 duo jet that had 2 piece bezels.

I actually put a bunch of pictures up but only one stuck. I’ll try again.

Regarding the Bigsby, I think there is a picture of one in the Gretsch book. The interesting thing is I can’t find extra holes from an original G tailpiece. I have a picture of this that I’ll try to put up. The guitar sounds extremely good, much better than any hilotron anniversary that I’ve played.

– hscrc

Page 211 of Jay Scotts book has a picture of a 1970 model 6117 with one that has an open V. That's the only one there. I am tempted but shipping to Bellingham WA. might be a bit dear!

Page 211 of Jay Scotts book has a picture of a 1970 model 6117 with one that has an open V. That's the only one there. I am tempted but shipping to Bellingham WA. might be a bit dear!

– RCgold

Feel free to make an offer.

Register Sign in to join the conversation