Elliot Easton's Tiki Lounge

What’s the big attraction to bar bridges?

Oh Melita , hold me tighter, I think I'm going down,,,

– Spider VanTool

Nice... hats off to Mr. Zevon...

I've tried straight bars, Truarcs, Serpentunes in two different metals, Comptons, Space Control, various TOMs,,, and keep coming back to the Gibson Historic spec ABR-1 Tunomatic without the wire. The reason I like it? I like the way it SOUNDS the best.

Gotoh TOMS don't sound as clear as the Gibson. The TOM which comes as stock on the SSLVO is Gotoh - it's fine but I like the Gibson better because it doesn't rattle.

I was extremely impressed with the Serpentune bridges. With 10-52 Ernie Balls the intonation was perfect, the guitar stayed in tune with Bigsby wigglage and it felt great under my hand. BUT - it didn't sound quite as good as the Gibson for my taste. Obviously this is highly subjective, but I just love how the ABR-1 sounds. Oh, and the low-E would sound a bit choked on the Serpentune if hit hard. I hit hard. If you play more like normal people it's fine.

FWIW the Compton I tried was beautifully made. I just didn't like it better than my Gibson ABR-1.

I LOVE the PRS wrap-around bridge. I think it's a beautiful piece of design and intonates perfectly with 10-46 Ernie Balls. When I played a '54 RI Les Paul with the wrap-around bridge I installed a Pigtail intonable wrap-around bridge and it sounded almost identical to an aluminium wrap-around from Gibson but had adjustable intonation. Highly recommended for those who need one.

Oh Melita , hold me tighter, I think I'm going down,,,

– Spider VanTool

And I'm all strung up with D'Addarios, and a G string that is wound.

Audept!!! Can I see more of this guitar?

– TheNocturneBrain

OK. It's a custom BlueBelly made by Hyde Baker in Vermont.

Now upgrade to a Tru-Arc SerpenTune brass bridge, intonation now spot-on!

Let me ask one more question about the Compton. Isn't there a slight arc to the edge from side to side or are they perfectly straight? I am not talking about how the edge is slightly angled to shorten the distance for the treble strings but is there a slight arc to the edge itself so that it is not a perfectly straight edge? I've only seen one but the pictures look to me like there may be an arc.

Now upgrade to a Tru-Arc SerpenTune brass bridge, intonation now spot-on!

– audept

thanks Mate! Hyde's pretty darn good eh?

thanks Mate! Hyde's pretty darn good eh?

– TheNocturneBrain

Hyde is such a lovely guy to work with. I have 2 of his guitars and the process of creating them was a joy from beginning to end. He never balked at any of my weird suggestions and was extremely helpful and communicative through the entire process.

Tuneomatics don't sound good on hollow guitars.

Just seeing Gretsch pickups and a cat's eye soundhole in the earlier picture, I was assuming that was some sort of '90s Korean Historic model. I kept looking at it thinking that's extraordinarily nice wood for such a guitar. Makes more sense now.

Register Sign in to join the conversation