Elliot Easton's Tiki Lounge

What’s the big attraction to bar bridges?

I'm gradually changing over all my bridges to Tru-Arc Serpentunes in either brass or titanium. The intonation is spot-on according to my luthier's Peterson Strobotune. Here's the latest bunch:

What gauge strings are you using on the 6120?

My Reverend Flatroc has one of these bridges that Elliot is talking about

I wonder how it would sound with a Tru Arc?

It's a great sounding guitar. For clarification, it is an older one, before they switched to Korina Bodies

the big deal about bar bridges is that they really sound great. The added punch and weight of notes with a solid bar bridge is undeniable once you've tried a couple on different guitars.

As far as intonation goes, they càn be surprisingly close, but it's very hard to generalize because there are too many variables. Scale lenghth, fret size, string type and gauge, core thickness of your strings, etc...

A straight saddle of any kind usually works better on a longer scale guitar : a 25 1/2" scale will intonate better with a bar than a 24 3/4"

The main thing that irritates me about bar bridges and why I've pretty much stopped using them is that quite often you have to slant them so much to achieve anything resembling medium good intonation that the treble strings lie across a diagonal string slot, and you get buzz and sitar effects. IMO, YMMV, etc...

– WB

Proteus and I actually discussed slanting the slots to fix this awhile back

What gauge strings are you using on the 6120?

– Elliot Easton

D'Addario NYXL Balanced Tension set 10s

Wow, what a long thread; haven't read all the posts yet but looking forward to it. I'm a stickler for good intonation and in the past always use tune-o-matic type bridges except for an ebony bridge on my archtop, but it was compensated. I have a 6118T that I really like but initially was unhappy with the amount of sustain and lack of bass response from the original space control bridge and the same with a tune-o-matic. So, I bought a Tru-arc one piece and was very happy with the improvement in sound. I found that I could get the guitar in tune but it usually took quite a bit of effort to temper the instrument. In the studio I would have to tune often and carefully. When Tim released the Serpentune bridges I ordered two for my guitars and am quite happy with them. I like the sound and they intonate fairly well. The big discrepancy between the plain G and wound D was addressed, which is the biggest problem with one piece bridge saddles that are not compensated. So, long story short, for me, it is the sound of the solid bridge saddles that I like. Having said all this, different guitars react differently to different bridges, as you probably know, and a tune-o-matic just might be the best sounding bridge for certain guitars. For sure they make tuning up a lot easier.

D'Addario NYXL Balanced Tension set 10s

– audept

Thanks!

Ok, I'm a little ashamed to admit this. I own one Gretsch 6122-1959. Why the bar? Cuz that's what's on my hero's Chet Atkins original '59. Plain and simple as that I guess. I'm 33 years old I shouldn't be buying guitars with that in mind but it happens. If my hands were smaller I'd probably by a Rick 325 and comb my hair down(what's left of it) like I did when I was in high school

I'm no session player I've done a few studio sessions for rockabilly bands and I usually would grab my Telecaster for that. But now that I think of it, that has 3 saddles so the intonation isn't perfect on that either I guess. I guess I'm lucky I don't make my living playing guitar and can have vintage teles, and Gretsches with bar bridges.

Devil's Advocate time: Wes Montgomery got the fattest, sweetest sound I can imagine getting from an electric guitar. He played a spruce-top L-5 with a wooden bridge base and a tun-o-matic bridge. Has there ever been a fatter, sweeter sound from an electric guitar?

– Elliot Easton

I had a T-shirt printed once with WES IS BES' on it. Beautiful sound but.......with all due respect Elliot, I think most if it came from his thumb.

I had a T-shirt printed once with WES IS BES' on it. Beautiful sound but.......with all due respect Elliot, I think most if it came from his thumb.

– Journeyman

I don't care if he played with his putz. The sound that came out of the amp is what I care about and that's a tune-o-matic.

I don't care if he played with his putz. The sound that came out of the amp is what I care about and that's a tune-o-matic.

– Elliot Easton

nashville tune-o-matic or vintage wire bridge tune-o-matic?wire bridge has a brighter attack, not so much cheap pot metal.. (which is why billet milled tune-o-matics sound so nicer)

nashville tune-o-matic or vintage wire bridge tune-o-matic?wire bridge has a brighter attack, not so much cheap pot metal.. (which is why billet milled tune-o-matics sound so nicer)

– TheNocturneBrain

I'm fairly sure that a Nashville tune-o-matic was well after Wes' time.

I'm fairly sure that a Nashville tune-o-matic was well after Wes' time.

– Elliot Easton

I know.. I know...:)

Nothing really to add here xcept Melita bridges rule!!! :)

Nothing really to add here xcept Melita bridges rule!!! :)

– Michael Williams

Yeah, one of these days I intend on getting an Embie-Matic for my Panther. I know Serpentunes are a popular choice for pinned-bridge models, but the Embie speaks to me for some reason. Fifty per cent of the appeal is its functionality, and the other 50 is its looks.

Yeah, one of these days I intend on getting an Embie-Matic for my Panther. I know Serpentunes are a popular choice for pinned-bridge models, but the Embie speaks to me for some reason. Fifty per cent of the appeal is its functionality, and the other 50 is its looks.

– Itchin For Gretschin

And now with the help of Mat @ Embie,those few of us that fancy these handsomely unattractive bridges can now alter their tonal characteristics instead of being stuck with plastic,Bakelite & such.

Shouldn't it be "barre" bridge?
Melitas do rule, but they're too much perfection for some people.

Another Melita user here.

I would love to try a Melita-style bridge sometime.

See what I mean? Some people are phobic about the plastic saddles, even though they sound great and help the Bigsby stay in tune. The Embie's are really nice too though.

I've always liked the bar bridge just not as much as the Melita and aside from the top screws for the clips ,that's been the only hindrance. But you know when anything new comes out for anything Gretsch the tinkerers come outta the booshes like mad folk :)

Oh Melita , hold me tighter, I think I'm going down,,,

– Elliot Easton

Ha. I'd like to see that.....well maybe not. Wes was Jewish!? Well, I did leave the tune-o-matic on the 6118LTV 125th; everything about the way that guitar was designed is perfect.

The craziest of them all, Wandre’s reversed bridge.

It’d be nice if guitar manufacturers at least tried to play a little bit with the bridge designs since they influence the tone a lot; the last major manufacturer who did it was PRS (nice bridges but I don’t like his guitars for other reasons).

Wayne Compton has nice sound samples how different materials sound on his site. You don’t need to like his design or bar bridges in general to appreciate the test. Try to listen through headphones with your eyes closed and have somebody else to randomly pick samples to figure out which material is for you (eliminate other senses and put aside all preconceived opinions).

Register Sign in to join the conversation