Elliot Easton's Tiki Lounge

Lefty USA Built 6120’s ??

Folks ,

hi I'm new to this forum ... in fact I'm new to electric guitars :D I want to get a Gretsch because they just look so cool and well I love everything I have heard on youtube . have any of you ordered a USA custom shop or own a vintage example of a 6120 ??? . I'm a lefty by the way !!!!

Did/does Elliot Easton own a lefty 6120 ? .

what is the best combo of features to order ?

thanks

JC

Hey there Portsider!

I don't believe Elliot owns one, he was more a White Falcon hollowbody guy; and then he had his own signature model Gretsch.

There are a couple vintage ones that have popped up that I have seen for sale; but the asking prices are quite high. I would look closely at any vintage Lefty, not every Gretsch has aged gracefully.

I don't know anyone who has ordered a custom shop LH 6120; IMHO, since Gretsch came out with the 6120-LTV I have not seen a need to think about the custom shop one: Link...

My Lefty wife has one, and there's a little blurb comparing it to the older "pre-Fender" 6120 here: Link...

Jim , which would you say is more accurate ?

thanks

JC

IMHO, the 6120-LTV is pretty close.

Hey, Juan,

Unless you have very deep pockets, buying a vintage or Custom Shop 6120 will be financially painful, and will require quite a long time. Very few left-handed 6120s were built in the '50s and '60s, and they rarely appear on the market. I've seen just three for sale in the past 10 years, and two of them were double-cut examples from the mid-to-late '60s. You would have to wait for one of the few to appear on the market, and who knows when that will be?

You can expect a Custom Shop order to require the better part of a year to complete, and the MSRP on it will be well above $10,000. A good dealer will offer a discount that will knock a few thousand off the price you'd actually pay. But unless you simply must have a 6120 with one-of-a-kind specifications and features, there's little reason to pay the cost of three Professional Series 6120s for just one CS.

Gretsch offers us lefties several iterations of the 6120, including the 6120-1959LTV that Jim mentions, the Eddie Cochran Signature model, the "standard" 6120, and the Brian Setzer Signature model. I own a 6120-1960 (no longer in production) and an Eddie Cochran, and both are wonderful guitars. I owned two pre-Fender 6120s, and they were quite good, but the Fender-era guitars are superior.

A used 6120-1960 is for sale at Jerry's Lefty Guitars at a really good price ($1,495). I haven't inspected the photos carefully, but if the guitar is in excellent condition, that's a steal. (His new-guitar prices are not that impressive; he may offer greater discounts offline, but I always recommend our board sponsors for new guitars, because they always come through with the best prices and service.)

My recommendation, obviously, is a modern Professional Series 6120.

Paul/FF909

Hi,

If you only want one electric guitar, also take a look at the G6118T LH 125th Anniversary. It's a real Gretsch, but it's really versatile, thanks to the Powertrons, and the TL bracing !!

Cyril from France

Hi,

If you only want one electric guitar, also take a look at the G6118T LH 125th Anniversary. It's a real Gretsch, but it's really versatile, thanks to the Powertrons, and the TL bracing !!

Cyril from France

You can expect a Custom Shop order to require the better part of a year to complete, and the MSRP on it will be well above $10,000.

Paul is that so? I guess I mean do leftys have special requirements that make them more expensive in general? I'm only wondering because I've seen some Custom Shop models at $6k-$7k...

I don't want to put words in Paul's mouth, but 10K msrp is not a shock. For a Fender 'Nocaster the lefty premium was ~ 50%

The demand is not there for lefty stuff, so they have to break in to the production schedule to do a "one off", most manufacturers consider it a pain and price accordingly.

As to "special requirements", Body forms, neck side markers, top bracing are a couple things that pop to mind. Lefty Bigsby's are pretty standard, so no issue there.

I don't think that they even bother with "correct" lefty pick guard artwork ( I had a new one made for my wife's White Falcon so the Falcon faced the correct way), pots are usually wired as righties (or worse, are righty pots wired as lefties, making them almost unusable).

You can expect a Custom Shop order to require the better part of a year to complete, and the MSRP on it will be well above $10,000.

Paul is that so? I guess I mean do leftys have special requirements that make them more expensive in general? I'm only wondering because I've seen some Custom Shop models at $6k-$7k...

– redrocker

Those prices are most likely after the discounting is done. And I suspect there is a difference in Custom Shop pricing for actual customer-ordered custom guitars versus the ones the shop kicks out to its own specifications.

Nothing shocking to me on the pricing, Jim!

Also: CS solid body guitars are less expensive, but that's not what we're talking about here.

But let's let the veil drop for a moment, here, and talk specifics:

For a lefty Dynasonic-equipped Country Club, a dealer gave me a quote of $12,000 MSRP, with the discounted selling price around $7,000.

You'll see $12,000 MSRP pretty commonly on the hollowbodies. From what I can gather, there is no perceptible upcharge for left-handedness in the CS. It's all custom work, you know, nothing off the shelf!

Paul/FF909

Hey Frequent Flyer, Is the 6120-1960 model the one with a thinner body?

Hi, Viking,

No. I don't think any of the modern 6120s have the thinner body, which was notable on (I believe) the 1961 model only. That particular version of the 6120 has not been recreated in the modern Gretsch lineup.

The 6120-1060 that I mentioned was available at Jerry's Lefty Guitars is long-gone. Someone got a sweet deal.

Paul/FF909

Paul, we lefties are pretty lucky really! Almost nobody will bidding for the stuff on EBay! And as for the manufacturers, well C.F. Martin, unlike Gretsch/Fender do not charge any extra, but only if you order at the "recommended retail price", at the shop, but I got my Martin from a chap in Oxford who didn't use it any more! It's probably the one I pick up most, so it was a good deal! :)

Hey, Alan_T,

Right now, that's pretty accurate... but there's usually a small swarm for rarer, desirable items offered with reasonable opening bids, and when there is, at least two of the swarm have much deeper pockets (or desires) than I do. Oh, well!

The big problem I see currently (from a buyer's perspective) is the sellers whose opening bid amount reflect the price one might anticipate at the conclusion of exuberant bidding... that would have occurred five or six years ago, when the cash was flying. A '64 Country Gent on eBay right now ($4,750 opening bid plus nearly $90 shipping) exemplifies this.

Now to be sure, the only thing about this that's problematic for me is that, again, I either cannot afford the item or simply do not value it as highly the seller does. 'Twas the case last year when that lefty '60 Tennessean appeared at the Philadelphia Guitar Show, and then on eBay, at $5,000-plus. I saw it, I played it. It was not $5K worth of guitar by any objective definition. It just wasn't in very good condition.

But there's a 2006 White Penguin on eBay right now, with a cowboy case and Seymour Duncan Dynas, with an opening bid of $2,100 and no reserve. It's been there for a few days. No bids yet. Looks like a deal to me!

Martin is generally wonderful to us lefties, and I am so fond of my HD-28. I'm a member of the Yay, Martin! Club, too.

Taylor also treats us very well with their product offerings, but, as matters of taste and preference, I cannot claim great affection for their guitars -- the sound isn't as robust and I don't care for the neck/fingerboard specifications.

Paul/FF909

Hello Paul, from all the way from Englandshire!

Now my Martin is a D15, as about as plain as a wooden box with six strings, that you could find! Still sounds like a Martin though!:D

Hey, Alan,

In my experience, all Martins sound like Martins, to one extent or another, which is a wonderful thing. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a D15 or one of their budget models.

That Penguin I mentioned in my previous post is still on eBay, and the seller dropped the opening bid price all the way down to $1,600 over the intervening weeks. It is on its second week at that price, and it is sitting there, un-bid upon.

Paul/FF909

Paul, I don't need a Penguin, however nice it is. I still have a red Elliot Easton model, which I bought in 2004 (I think?) used from somewhere in America, after hearing about it here! It is my bestest favorite guitar! I love the pinned bridge,and slightly longer neck.

I daresay a red Elliot Easton model obviates a White Penguin, the difference in pickups notwithstanding.

I didn't need a Penguin, either, though at that price one could justify buying a luxury. I resisted.

It ultimately did sell, for either $1,625 or $1,675. I forget which.

The eBay market for used lefty guitars -- even the good ones -- favors buyers right now. I'm seeing (for instance) Rickenbackers that just a couple of years ago were pounced upon at eyebrow-raising prices now sitting with no bids for weeks on end. A super-clean 620 recently sold for only $1,195 -- a sole bid.

I cannot say that I feel badly for the speculators.

Paul/FF909

Register Sign in to join the conversation