Elliot Easton's Tiki Lounge

Any Southpaws still visit this section?

Just curious...

Hasn't been anything here to look at lately, Jim. EE made a brief appearance in a thread a few weeks ago––a single post was all I saw, then back to the ether he went.

There's a red lefty EE model on eBay right now at a reasonable price, but it looks like it might be a bit banged up. Big chunk out of the cutaway horn?

Maybe that'll wake up some of portsiders!

Paul/FF909

I venture to guess that Elliott lurks around here a bit more then we might think.

I am lefty Gretsch player and love Elliot Easton, but feel I shouldn't post here unless it is Easton related. Do we need a Southpaw thread instead???

I venture into here every now and then.

BTW: I still have a few Lefty Gretsch's for sale.

Lefty here as well but I don't think we need a lefty thread. Except for the guitar orientation, there isn't much difference anyway, .."right?" ;)

Do you have to be a lefty and play lefty to be in the club? I'm a lefty, but nobody told me to play lefty when I was starting out. So I learned to play righty. Made sense at the time since all that small motor coordination was already developed in the hand and fingers I would use in chord formation, lead playing, etc.

I always supported the notion that your dominant hand should dictate the rhythm. That's why I never doubted to play lefty (try hitting something with a stick in a solid rhythm...now which hand are you using for this?)

Lefty here as well but I don't think we need a lefty thread. Except for the guitar orientation, there isn't much difference anyway, .."right?" ;)

– LievenDV

I don't believe it would be the busiest section of the GDP discussion board, but finding stuff relevant to lefties would be easier if it were under its own banner.

Also, having our own section might draw some of the lurking lefties out of hiding. We need as much visibility as we can get if we want to be perceived as a market segment worth building guitars for. We'll have the opportunity to pay attention to each other.

There is enough to talk about: availability of certain models and advocating for the manufacture of those not presently available, discovering the rare vintage guitars, identifying lefty-friendly dealers, and notable fellow southpaw players. That's for starters. It should be sufficient to launch a section.

And also this: we may think of more to talk about once we have a venue to do so.

We can post photos of our guitars (and those we wish were ours!) to a receptive audience.

Synergy, man. It'll spark synergy. One thing's for sure: we don't achieve much attention from any perspective (even our own) being a few drops of water diffused in the ocean.

Jim Krause: we'll have to take a vote of all the true left-handers to see if we'll let you in our club.

OK, Bax, I've gone 13 years without asking for this, but I believe it's time to cook one up for us.

Paul/FF909

I'm still left handed! It's so less of a problem today than it was. Probably doesn't deserve a section of its own.

There was a time in my life that I reasoned with myself that I would have been a better player if I was allowed to play left handed. I figured if the school teachers were wrong for trying to get me to write right handed so must the guitar teacher be. I know now that was complete b.s. I would have been equally poor playing lefty.

Do you have to be a lefty and play lefty to be in the club? I'm a lefty, but nobody told me to play lefty when I was starting out. So I learned to play righty. Made sense at the time since all that small motor coordination was already developed in the hand and fingers I would use in chord formation, lead playing, etc.

– Jim Krause

I wonder how many more players are like yourself Jim? I'm a righty but shoot left playing hockey and no preference whatsoever for batting left or right. Years ago when working in the steel mill my job required you to write with either hand for marking the hot steel. Never tried playing guitar left as unlike the sports, you need one strung that way. Don't think I could do it. I'd say you're lucky Jim as your choices aren't restricted like the lefties are.

– Jim Krause

I too am a lefty who learned righty. Aside from the benefit of having the dexterity in my left had for fretting notes, I also thought it would be MUCH easier to find and play right-handed guitars than lefties.

My big downside, which affirms an earlier comment, is the lack of innate rhythm in my right hand.

So, do you lefties do anything right-handed? I bat left but golf right. I write left but use my right for the mouse. I guess I'm just a mess.

About the only thing I can do right-handed is touch my left elbow.

Paul/FF909

I wonder how many more players are like yourself Jim? I'm a righty but shoot left playing hockey and no preference whatsoever for batting left or right. Years ago when working in the steel mill my job required you to write with either hand for marking the hot steel. Never tried playing guitar left as unlike the sports, you need one strung that way. Don't think I could do it. I'd say you're lucky Jim as your choices aren't restricted like the lefties are.

– Windsordave

When I was a kid in school, during phys ed. I shot baskets either way, left or right handed. In track and field I jumped leading with my left foot. Playing sandlot softball with neighborhood kids, I'd pitch either left or right, but found I could pitch more accurately left handed. I write, eat, and shoot left handed. Small tools like wrenches, screw drivers, and hammers I use left handed. But I manipulate a computer mouse right handed.

I remember my first day of school. I had to sharpen my pencil. I could not figure out for the life of me why they put the crank on the pencil sharpener on the wrong side.

I credit my somewhat ambidextrous abilities with piano lessons I took when I was a kid, and again in college.

I once had a left handed guitar student who like myself, played right handed. We had a lot to talk about.

Well, I guess some do still visit!

Yes , we are always here. I always was pushed to play righty and never felt comfortable, this detoured me from playing for years.

Oh, 714Tom,

A Bigsby on your 5420. Good deal! I did the same, but I used a black enamel B6, rather than a V-cut.

Post 'em? Here are some of mine...

Paul/FF909

G6120-1959LTV in Carr Amplifiers final listening audio test room.

And the sofa cat pic:

Oh, 714Tom,

A Bigsby on your 5420. Good deal! I did the same, but I used a black enamel B6, rather than a V-cut.

Post 'em? Here are some of mine...

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

Lefty Viking? Nice.

It may be the only lefty Viking they ever built. That model wasn't a huge seller, and Gretsch made most of their lefties back then by special order. I've never encountered another, and this one, amazingly, was in a local shop. Talk about lucky...

Paul/FF909

I quite enjoyed the Viking at the Roundup. The tuning fork bridge made it feel like it was bubbling with excitement.

Yeah, the darned thing works! You can feel the increased sustain. And when you strap the guitar on, you can also feel the increased weight that that chunk of brass and the mute system add!

Despite the heaviness, I'm coming to really love this guitar.

Paul/FF909

Register Sign in to join the conversation