Elliot Easton's Tiki Lounge

6120w nashville gretsch

Hi

I'm a newbie I'm not sure where to post my question.

I'm from Belgium I have just bought a second hand Gretsch 6120w serial number 899120w-100 can someone give me more information about the guitar and an estimated price, the guitar is in perfect condition, I feel in love with the guitar. I know that pricers are more expensive over here in europe just hoping I've made a good buy. I paid 2500 euro.

Thanks

Mary Ann

WELCOME!! Great guitar,especially for the deeper end of R&R,thick body,ceramic Filters,thin fast neck but not really spec correct.This is my first Gretsch, No. 108.Still have it,bought it used back in '92-'93 for under a grand.Would advise electronic change,pots ,wire,switch & jack.There is a couple right now for sale but over the 2k mark which is rediculous. Great guitars though.

Mary Ann, it is difficult for us to compare US prices with the prices in Belgium. These are pre-FMIC guitars which are fine guitars; however, many people prefer the FMIC-era guitars because their specifications are closer to the vintage specifications, including three-ply top, which many believe makes the guitar more resonant.

But, as MDWilliams' post demonstrates, there is definitely a love for that guitar.

That guitar would probably sell used in the US market for $1100-$1500, depending upon the condition of the guitar and where the guitar is located. So, whether it is a "deal" or a "bargain", that would be for you to decide.

Give my best to Sally. :)

You have the same exact guitar that Reverend Horton Heat used live for at least a decade and a half.

A1989 6120w was my first Gretsch, and it got me hooked.

Congratulations. We're all glad for you.

Tell Sally hello for me, as well.

Welcome to the GDP! Nice guitar.

Welcome to the GDP and awesome guitar! :D

You have the same exact guitar that Reverend Horton Heat used live for at least a decade and a half.

– Troy Dering

– troy6120

Darrel Higham as well...an '89,modded ,then swiped by a stinking thief.

You all seem to know alot about guitars, this is actually my first electric, I sing better than I play.

Does anyone know how you can tell with the serial number if it was made in the states or in Japan? Would this change anything?

Who is Sally?????? The guitar ???? she is lovely.

Welcome to the GDP Mary Ann! I think all of the 6120W were made in Japan, but I could be wrong. Nice guitar!

First electric?

You are starting off with a high class instrument for sure!

Congrats and my compliments on your taste.

Sally Struthers is an American TV actress famous for a sit-com in the 70s and for TV adverts for impoverished children in Africa.

Hi Mary Ann,

In Europa, I would say price for a used lefty G6120 Gretsch is between 1800 and 2200 if it's a nitro finished one. The japanese guitars made before 2004 are less period correct (shape and pickups), so they tend to sell for less. But if your guitar is "as new", is value can be estimated more than average.

If you love your guitar and don't plan to sell it in a few months, you made a great deal, because lefty Gretsches are hard to find. If you bought the guitar to sell it later and make money, I would say it will be hard to sell it for 2500.

If you speak french, there is a lefty forum " riff gauche " with a lot of guitars to sell, buy and exchange, you will be welcome.

Cyril

It's the same model Reverend Horton Heat used as his main stage guitar for years. That, for me makes it very desirable. But I would never pay more than 2000 Euro for a pre-FMIC Gretsch.

Pre-FMIC Gretsches get hyped up here in Europe with statements like 'real Gretsch' as if the FMIC ones aren't and are lower quality. Sometimes they even claim they're made in the USA.

Most important thing is that you're happy with it.

nitro-cellulose laquer (or Duco Laquer) instead of the polyethylene finish used on modern Gretsches. :)

Welcome to the GDP! Nice guitar.

Dylan

I personally couldn't care less if a gretsch is pre FMIC or FMIC, they both really good, and I don't think either are necessarily better.

I have played pre fmic gretsches that have loads more character than current ones- who cares if it's not period correct? Perhaps they experimented and ACTUALLY advanced the design for whatever reasons, heaven forbid guitars evolve haha!!!

As long as you are happy with it thats the main thing. If you paid on the high side, it might return to that value in a few years time.

And who wouldn't want the guitar the rev played in the 90s?

Register Sign in to join the conversation