Pickups

any love for Ibanez 70s buckers ?

Any reason to think they are better/worse than 70s Gibson or Modern World buckers?

If you like anything Husker Du did, then I'd say you like them.

Not sure about 70's but I have a 1980 Ibanez with buckers and it is - bar none- the sweetest sounding guitar I have ever heard or played

My (early) '77 2681 had Super 70's that were the best humbuckers I've played FWIW.

The Super 70s were a fine pup. Slightly brighter and more cutting than the Gibson PAF types. I had an Ibanez Artist 200 (335 clone) for a number of years that had them. Having said that, I prefer the sound of Gibson humbuckers for their warmth, frequency response, and depth of tone overall. A touch more "classic" sounding. Also, the construction of the Gibson is a bit sturdier and easier to work with, if for some reason, you decide to tweak or modify your pickup wiring scheme.

A lot of the late 70s and early 80s Ibanezes, had the same Super 58s my Ibanez Artstar AS120 from the early 2000s had. They are great sounding pickups that I would match up against any Gibson humbuckers - sort of like a PAF with a little more oomph. Nowadays, I regret getting rid of my old AS120. It did great fusion guitar tones ala John Scofield, and killer 70s era Rush guitar tones.

The Super 70s were a fine pup. Slightly brighter and more cutting than the Gibson PAF types. I had an Ibanez Artist 200 (335 clone) for a number of years that had them. Having said that, I prefer the sound of Gibson humbuckers for their warmth, frequency response, and depth of tone overall. A touch more "classic" sounding. Also, the construction of the Gibson is a bit sturdier and easier to work with, if for some reason, you decide to tweak or modify your pickup wiring scheme.

– General_Lee

Sacrilege!!!! :)

Yea, I have a 1980 As200 I bought new back in the day

I love the sound. I chose it over 335's but I recognise tastes vary

Every time I play it, that tone just embraces me

Love it

Wish I still had my AS200 as well WhittleZ. Beautiful flame red model it was. Though I found the neck a little too thin and flexible overall, I loved that ebony fingerboard with the pearloid/ablone inlays. And the tones were excellent. Don't know that I'd chose the sound over my 335, but hey, as you've said - tastes vary. OTOH, it might be kinda nice to have both..

Register Sign in to join the conversation