Electromatics

What year a 5120 was made.

Gretsch 5120, Serial Number KS06073847... What year was it manufactured?
It was built in 2006. The first 2 digits after the letters designates the year of manufacture. K stands for Korea and S stands for SPG the factory in Korea that builds the guitar. EDIT: Unclegrumpy beat me to the draw.
Bear, only cause my 5120 is not far off in number and I thought mayby mine was an 06'.
jj. Welcome to the addiction. If your 06' 5120 is half as good as mine you will never put it down. I love mine!
UG is right. They are very nice guitars. I have a 5125 which is basically the same guitar with single coil DeArmond 2000 pickups instead of Gretsch'Buckers and I love it.
im in the boat with bear, I love my G5125 and i hope your love your G5120 just as much, good guitars
I was playing my 5125 just this afternoon through my new Roland Cube-30X amp (a Christmas present from my wife and daughter) through the "Tweed" preset with a little slapback echo, a touch of reverb and a smidge of tremolo thrown in for flavor and it sounded so darned good it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. It still amazes me how so little cash can buy so much guitar. Gretsch definitely has it together.
Plus one on that 5120. Mine is '06, from Peerless. Took it down to a buddy's house on Saturday. We had some nice guitars there, including an old strat and 335. It was the orange 5120 that got him all excited. A whole lot more going on with this thing than the price would indicate. MD
I got a 2008 5120 that I love. I also have a Gibson Les Paul Jr, 2 Strats and 2 Teles and every time I bring something else to band practice someone in the band is bound to ask where is the fat Orange guitar LOL!!My drummer thinks its the coolest thing ever. I have even had girls come up to me when we are between sets and ask about the orange guitar. lexx
I have an '05 orange 5120. Buck for buck, compared to my other guitars that I have purchased for about the same amount of money, the 5120 is my favorite guitar hands down. I rarely play the others anymore because the 5120 does everything I need it to, and at gigs people think that it's some high end job. I'm sure you'll enjoy it too.
I had one with the DeArmond 2000's and loved it. I did a lot of mods on it and regretted it afterwards. If I found another I would only swap strings (and the bigsby spring)
Fauves said, I had one with the DeArmond 2000’s and loved it. I did a lot of mods on it and regretted it afterwards… Funny you should mention this. A year ago I played my brother in law’s G5129 and fell in love with it, so I went out and bought mine. Well the sound wasn’t quite the same and at the time I didn’t think to question why, just went about correcting this. Now keep in mind that I use a pick and to my ears the 2000’s just sounded too harsh, so I swapped them out for DynaSonics and now that these have had time to get broken in, I love the sound of this guitar. That said, I had a chance to play my brother in law’s Gretsch again on Christmas day and it sounded great! His was an earlier model 04’. This came with a more Gibson like neck profile, a fixed tune-o-matic bridge instead of a floating aluminum compensation bridge and a Bigsby B7 instead of a B6. This just goes to show the variables that can occur when a guitar under goes a design change. Now a lot of players like the DeArmond 2000 pickups and I can understand why. I love them on my brother in law’s 04’ model but hated them on my 08’ model.
Thanks guys, I am new at this and need some experienced help. I have only been playing a couple of years, acoustic electric, and need an amp. Would like to go to an electric guitar, having decided on a hollow body and narrowed it down to the Gretsch 5120 or maybe 6120, and would like an amp that works well with both. I have a cheap Line6 my son has lent me and so I have decided to by the guitar first, more fun that way. I have played both the 5120 and 6120, I don't have the ear to tell the difference. They both sound good to me because I am still learning how to play. 1) How do you feel about buying used on ebay? It is new to me as well, and a little scary with no returns on some guitars. 2) Is it worth the difference for a 6120 at my novice level. 3) Another serial number question. Owner says the 6120 was made in Japan, 2001. The model number G6120-1960, Serial number 0131260-2329, there is not marking behind the peg head as is most Japanese built 6120s I have looked at. Is this a good and legit guitar? Happy New Year! jj
I love my '08 5120! Getting about time to upgrade the gretschbuckers to TV's, though.
Another serial number question. Owner says the 6120 was made in Japan, 2001. The model number G6120-1960, Serial number 0131260-2329, there is not marking behind the peg head as is most Japanese built 6120s I have looked at. Is this a good and legit guitar? How do you feel about buying used on ebay? It is new to me as well, and a little scary with no returns on some guitars. Is it worth the difference for a 6120 at my novice level. Happy New Year! jj
Love my 5120 still stock , but as soon as the cash is there will be dropping filtertrons a new harness and nut on, but it is GREAT as is.
I think I am going to keep mine stock. It's a black beauty and someday may be considered a classic!

Register Sign in to join the conversation