Electromatics

What exactly is a Megatron?

I see these pickups on the current Corvettes, are they just a over-wound Filters? What exactly are they, and what opinions does anyone have regarding the sound?

Thx,

Curt.

To the best of my knowledge, I understand that MegaTrons are very close in design to the Pre-Fender Filtertrons-- that is to say that they are wound a bit hotter, and they use ceramic magnets instead of alnico. The ones on my Corvette clock in at around 8K impedance, which is about twice that of a normal HS Filtertron.

What TP said. MegaTrons have ceramic magnets and are wound hotter.

I LOVE the MegaTrons! Killer pickups. They sound like a FilterTron on both steroids and acid. Bad to the bone!!!

So it's basically like a TV Powertron with a ceramic magnet?

Vs. the Powertron, I'm sure that there's a difference in the coil wire gauge used, and the number of turns. To my ears, the MegaTron is much brighter than the PowerTron, I guess the closest TV Jones sonic approximation would probably be the Classic-Plus.

The MegaTron has midrange that more closely resembles FilterTrons. PowerTron's midrange is more like Gibson humbuckers.

The different wire, winding, and magnets make the MegaTron different than the PowerTron. I have had both. Both are really fantastic and versatile pickups, but the MT sounds closer to Filters while the PT blends Filters with Gibby HBs.

the evil leader of the Decepicons?

sroux that was perfect!! total crack up as thats what came to mind when I saw the post. part 3 comes out this summer!!

Powertrons are a different story. They have taller coils/bobbins.

Quote from TV Jones: "At the heart of the Power'Tron bridge model are two extra-tall bobbins, allowing for more winds of standard-gauge wire. Single treble notes are reproduced with a full, midrange fatness, while bass notes twang out deep and clear. Overall, the tone is remarkably close to a fifties PAF humbucker, blended with a zing and twang that is all Gretsch®."

Gotcha. Sounds like I would prefer MegaTrons over PowerTrons.

I love, and find very interesting, how changing the smallest detail in the construction of a pickup yields major differences, i.e. more winds of thinner wire vs. fewer winds of thicker wire, taller bobbins vs. normal size, etc.

I love it more when good science finally comes out of the amp's speaker, and makes somebody that doesn't necessarily UNDERSTAND all the science, just simply happy and smiley. Then, you can forget about the science and get back to making music.

What's the difference between a Megatron pickup and a Gretschbucker?

Regarding the MegaTron sound Curto, Big_Burly said what I would have. I really dig them in my Corvette reissue and am pleased that they are a Gretsch trademarked item. Groovy, Gretsch. Nice job with those!

Sroux, tell me about the collapsible cup thingie on his head. Looks like the business.

BuddyHollywood wrote:

What's the difference between a Megatron pickup and a Gretschbucker?

Awesome and not.

Megatron is the hot & nasty chick you really want to go out with...to see if all the rumors are really true.

Gretschbucker is her homely cousin "with a great personality" that you have to find a date for if you want to go out with Megatron.

tartan phantom wrote:

Megatron is the hot & nasty chick you really want to go out with...to see if all the rumors are really true.

Gretschbucker is her homely cousin "with a great personality" that you have to find a date for if you want to go out with Megatron.

This is the best post I have read in quite some time...Bravo!

I completely agree, well said tartan phantom!

Rob, you certainly have a way of putting things into perspective. 8-)

If a Megatron is the hot and nasty chick, is the Powertron the hot cheerleader?

Powertron is more like a "Cougar". Rounder, fuller, more mature but still smokin'. In fact, Powertron happens to be Megatron's hot mom.

"MILF" is a little crude, but you've got the general idea. :)

I'll take the Powertron for my bridge and the Megatron for my neck!

Register Sign in to join the conversation