Electromatics

Weird Electromatic

Saw this for sale. I think it is a heavy modded 5122 or fake. Strange headstock shape and decal on it? Strange Gretsch labeled B6 black face Bigsby. No master volume?

https://www.willhaben.at/ia...

That headstock logo is from around 2000 and is similar to my 2910 Jet's. The literature and examples from that time is sketchy, an the serial number was usually a sticker that people removed.

I've never seen a hollowbody with it. Clearly someone has upgraded the pick ups.

That may be the least useful set of pictures I've seen in a listing. Weird angles, upside down, never showing the whole guitar very close.

It's in Austria. Early Electromatic that's been modded. He calls it a "Country Classic", tho he doesn't mention which country. NJBob's right. Maybe it was a special run for an European market.

Don't think there was a special run for Austria. I think it is a fake. Wheres the master volume? The Gretsch labeled Bigsby is something odd too

We have seen these features on early modern Electromatics that were made for the Japanese market. I say it's legit.

If you've been to Japan, a lot of odd, weird Gretsches are in display there. I wish I took photos but they will (mostly) politely ask you not to use any camera gadgets. It varies from shop to shop, some allow outside only, the rest not at all.

That electromatic is real.

Thanks for your Input. Never seen a modern hollow body Gretsch without MV. If you look close you can spot a preFMIC label inside the F-hole

Thanks for your Input. Never seen a modern hollow body Gretsch without MV. If you look close you can spot a preFMIC label inside the F-hole

– ChimingBell

The Historic series from about the same time frame also didn't have a master volume. Look at the 3140 and 3110, etc.

I added master volume to my 3110, so if you stumble across that pic, it's my mod.

The lack of a master volume is the one thing that I don't like about my 3140. How'd you do the mod?

The early '90s Electros and Synchros could be an odd lot. From the Wilbury guitar era and right after, there were a lot of unusual models---the 460 comes to mind as well.

The lack of a master volume is the one thing that I don't like about my 3140. How'd you do the mod?

The early '90s Electros and Synchros could be an odd lot. From the Wilbury guitar era and right after, there were a lot of unusual models---the 460 comes to mind as well.

– wabash slim

The mod was on the 3110, which is hollow. The 3140 with center block would be a lot of digging.

And yes, the 460 is an odd duck (most of my Gretsches are) but it's pretty amazing and weighs nothing. Every time I think about selling it I play it a while and change my mind.
The piezo pup is farting a little on initial pluck, but maybe I need to adjust some trims or change the battery.

I'd love a 460. I play mostly acoustic these days, and the light weight would suit my back. The 460 has to be one of the rarest Gretsches out there.

Register Sign in to join the conversation