Electromatics

Thinking about Locking Tuners for Gretsch Stump-o-Matic

They come with regular vintage tuners I believe. I would appreciate some help because I'm not really sure where to start. Would I just need a set of vintage locking tuners or are there specific types that work better with Gretsch guitars?

You might try wrapping your strings differently first. After the string goes through the tuner shaft, wind the string above the hole for a full turn then the remainder below. Makes for great tuning stability.

If I wanted locking though what should I be looking for?

You're in luck. The Stump-O-Matic comes with Kluson style tuners and Gotoh makes two different types of locking post vintage Kluson style tuners that are probably a drop in replacement. On the older style, the post locks from the top and you need a small screwdriver or ever a dime to lock in the strings. On the newer style, they lock from the back like the Gotoh Magnums, except they utilize the vintage Kluson style housing.

Gretschadelphia nailed it, I think. But lx is raising a good question: What makes you think you want locking tuners. You shouldn't need them, so is there a problem you're trying to solve?

Locking tuners are for quick string changes. They do not do anything for tuning stability.

However I do have them on my Tenny and Strat. Came stock.

No question, locking tuners make string changes fast and easy, especially with a Bigsby but any quality tuners will work perfectly well as long as the nut is cut properly (and lubricated) and the strings are properly wound to the tuner posts.

No question, locking tuners make string changes fast and easy, especially with a Bigsby but any quality tuners will work perfectly well as long as the nut is cut properly (and lubricated) and the strings are properly wound to the tuner posts.

– Gretschadelphia

I'm not finding any Kluson style tuners on Gotoh's website... are they listed under a different name?

Register Sign in to join the conversation