Gretsch Events

The Delta Crossroads RoundUp 2015

I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread. location and time could work to my being able to attend this year.

Doug, what about something there in the Bentonville area where you're at. it's a very scenic area. maybe even Bueno Vista ?

– Sgt Rock

Indeed, there is no imperative to keep this Roundup in the Nashville area. None of the organizers live there, and only two people who come every year live sorta close by (has anyone who actually lives within the Nashville city limits ever attended?). The original organizers first conceived it as a "Southern Roundup" and contemplated holding it in Atlanta.

That venue Deed points out sure looks like a grand and simple solution. But failing that (or something just as cool), I see no reason to twist into a pretzel to keep it in Nashville.

The region offers Louisville, Memphis, Pigeon Forge (which may be too touristy-spendy), choose-a-city in North Carolina, Atlanta...

Paul/FF909

What about savannah?

I'm afraid that this is where the wheels fall off if we start saying here and there unless there's a specific venue in mind. Anyone have a place in mind?

It seems that I remember that Nashville was chosen because Nashville is Music City. Nowhere else is. Also, Nashville is sorta centrally located, which kinda levels out the field for travels. Miss Phila is a Sweetheart of superb quality and a hostess without equal. The Nashville Roundup will lose much of its charm with her absence, but it sounds like there is no choice but to move. She will always be in our memories and the history of the Roundups.

The Heartland, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, is actually more centrally located, but it is not Music City. Savannah would be an excellent choice, but would be a hardship on our western friends.

Richard, that's how I remember it. I think Pappy was involved and there was a discussion about attempting to pull of a national event which lead to somewhere in the midwest and then music city.

Phila was a big part of what makes the farm special and I for one am really going to miss that. Not to get into detail but the RU's came at just the right time for me, things were really bad. Phila has a way of welcoming strangers into her home like no one I've ever met, ever. The gravity of this move might take some time to sink in because this clearly is the benchmark of all events.

We have 3 potential A Listers and a few Plan Bs.

A Listers:

West Baden Hotel/French Lick, near Louisville, KY. Resort

The Sound Kitchen in Franklin, TN

The Shackup Inn in Clarksdale, MS.

We're still discussing money and date availability, so some of these may be a no go.

Brent, you mentioned something in my area - there is a place just west of Bentonville, AR. Its a site used for BBQ competitions with a heated/cooled barn, stage, full service kitchen, campsites, nearby hotels and an airport. There are gazebos outside and a firepit(!).

Bentonville, AR is trying to become a destination city. The Crystal Bridges Art Museum is certainly worth the trip. A Women In Film festival is this weekend, with Gina Davis and a bunch of Hollywood types in attendance. The problem is, who on the east coast wants to drive 18 hours to Bentonville, AR? Its a tough sell.

Its filed under plan B.

A Listers:

We're still discussing money and date availability, so some of these may be a no go.

Brent, you mentioned something in my area - there is a place just west of Bentonville, AR. Its a site used for BBQ competitions with a heated/cooled barn, stage, full service kitchen, campsites, nearby hotels and an airport. There are gazebos outside and a firepit(!).

Bentonville, AR is trying to become a destination city. The Crystal Bridges Art Museum is certainly worth the trip. A Women In Film festival is this weekend, with Gina Davis and a bunch of Hollywood types in attendance. The problem is, who on the east coast wants to drive 18 hours to Bentonville, AR? Its a tough sell.

Its filed under plan B.

– fieldhdj

If you decide soon enough air fair will be cheaper than wheels. Southwest has those $79.00 happening from time to time, I'd make the trip.

Great job getting some new options on the board quickly, Doug!

In consideration of who attends every year, Louisville is probably more centrally located than Nashville. It'll save me 200 miles of driving. I'm down with that possibility.

I have family in Memphis, so Clarksdale is a "close enough" deal.

Franklin's pretty much a wash vs. Nashville. Works for me.

Carry on!

Paul/FF909

I visited the West Baden Hotel in French Lick with Proteus a couple of years ago. The place is truly amazing and I was really impressed by the hotel. That being said, I am not quite sure in my own mind how a regional Roundup like this would work there. The place is huge and it isn't as if the Roundup would have exclusive use of the place. But, it is definitely a cool place.

A Listers:

Its filed under plan B.

– fieldhdj

Flying to Nashville is always a pleasure, but going to Franklin Tennessee is pure heaven.. those other states ehh not so much :)

A lot of Hachland's appeal are the strict lack of rules and no one telling you no. Some of these other places look like they have lot's-'O-rules and like to use them.

A lot of Hachland's appeal are the strict lack of rules and no one telling you no. Some of these other places look like they have lot's-'O-rules and like to use them.

– Curt Wilson

In my discussions with many venues, that has proven to be the norm. We were lucky to have it our way so long.

On the other hand, I tell you a story about the missing S'mores offline sometime.

Hachland is Home for the Nashville roundup. Always has been. Doug's brother found the best place possible for this event and it has been fun every year. I love Miss. Phila and not seeing her will be sad but to be truthful, she is a business woman and has raised the price every year it's just that this years increase, by Joe Hach, was extreme. She did ask me last year if we will be returning, of course I told her that we would but I had no idea what her son was going to throw at us for a return price. I'm sure we could learn to enjoy another venue and heck, it might even turn out better, I for one would be surprised because Phila's place has this certain charm to it and a familiarity that we have all come accustomed to. I wish that they would reconsider and accommodate us but sadly, we will probably have to move on.

Great suggestion, Miss. Deed.

No one in Louisville ever said French Lick/West Baden is near The Ville. In Carroll County about 30 minutes from Louisville is General Butler State Park. Lodge serves delicious breakfast, lunch & dinner & caters. Very rustic cabins, houses, camp sites, firepits, boating whatnot available. CHEAPO for what you get. I love it there. You may want to inquire.

General Butler State Park, LINK>>

General Butler State Parks, for Groups: LINK>>

Flying to Nashville is always a pleasure, but going to Franklin Tennessee is pure heaven.. those other states ehh not so much :)

– TheNocturneBrain.com

whats the matter Tavo, don't want to go down to The Crossroads?

whats the matter Tavo, don't want to go down to The Crossroads?

– fieldhdj

Miyagi say no to Danielson, crossroads not turn out so good for you.

While not nearly as glamorous as a privately owned conference center, the facilities at Montgomery Bell State Park (about 35 min. west of Nashville) are more than adequate, the scenery is quite tolerable, they have a restaurant, large conference center, modern and rustic cabins, and hotel rooms all onsite and the rates are surprisingly reasonable. I've stayed there for several days on more than one occasion with a group of over 200, and it worked out great.

Link

The biggest drawback would be (like most other facilities) that there would probably be other park patrons there as well, which could require some limitations on playing hours and/or playing volume levels. I can't confirm this because I haven't checked into it, but I would guess that might be the case, unless we were limited to one of the more isolated Group-camp (cabin) areas.

Doug, can you tell us percentage wise how much Hachlands rates went up?

While not nearly as glamorous as a privately owned conference center, the facilities at Montgomery Bell State Park (about 35 min. west of Nashville) are more than adequate, the scenery is quite tolerable, they have a restaurant, large conference center, modern and rustic cabins, and hotel rooms all onsite and the rates are surprisingly reasonable. I've stayed there for several days on more than one occasion with a group of over 200, and it worked out great.

Link

The biggest drawback would be (like most other facilities) that there would probably be other park patrons there as well, which could require some limitations on playing hours and/or playing volume levels. I can't confirm this because I haven't checked into it, but I would guess that might be the case, unless we were limited to one of the more isolated Group-camp (cabin) areas.

– Tartan Phantom

With the exception being when we were given an exclusive use of the Clair Tappaan Lodge, this is the issue that we have always dealt with at the Northern California Roundup. We got around it by (1) playing acoustic music after 10:00 p.m. and (2) pre-emptively headed off any complaints at the pass by having Bonedaddy become chummy with the Sierra Club ladies who were hot for his bones.

Doug, can you tell us percentage wise how much Hachlands rates went up?

– Twom

If you got a shared room for the entire event, it went from 408.97 to 527.30. Couples got hit hard too, and the facility fee went from $2250 to almost $3500. This is before Paypal fees.

With the exception being when we were given an exclusive use of the Clair Tappaan Lodge, this is the issue that we have always dealt with at the Northern California Roundup. We got around it by (1) playing acoustic music after 10:00 p.m. and (2) pre-emptively headed off any complaints at the pass by having Bonedaddy become chummy with the Sierra Club ladies who were hot for his bones.

– Ric12string

We loves Bonedaddy!!!

There is quite an assortment of hotels in the The Sound Kitchen neighborhood. Costco is conveniently located directly around the corner as well as The Cool Springs Galleria Mall, a gozillion restaurants, and an equal amount of automobiles.

Yes, the charming town of Franklin is just down the road, packed with history and Southern hospitality. But, unfortunately, the studio is not located on a farm or bucolic country property. It's a gorgeous facility, we have worked there... the original owners often claim that Duane was their first serious client.

I want you to have an awesome Roundup, I'm not trying to get in the middle of your business. The studio experience may be just the thing, a complete change of pace, but a pretty darn cool one.

Just sayin'

Something completely different would be nice, if only because it would forfend against comparison to Hachland. But it would be a cool experience on its own merits, too.

I like the Clarksdale spot, as well. I looked at their event calendar and noticed that a high school friend (with whom I played a time or two about 15 years ago) performed there on the 10th. Small world!

Paul

If you got a shared room for the entire event, it went from 408.97 to 527.30. Couples got hit hard too, and the facility fee went from $2250 to almost $3500. This is before Paypal fees.

– fieldhdj

if everyone chipped in a couple hundred bucks we'd cover it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation