Electromatics

The Marketing Of This One Has Me Unclear

You will recall that this guitar ended up in a thread a couple of weeks ago. However, I had understood that that guitar was somehow a special run for that retailer, Danny D's. However, I see now that the guitar is a production run Electromatic.

I am baffled by why Gretsch is trying to compare the guitar to a Penguin. There is no Penguin headstock on this Pro Jet, so the silhouette of the guitar is markedly different. That would mean that every Jet should be thought of in terms of being similar to a Penguin.

But, even more importantly, the suggestion that a Pro Jet offers the "classic vibe" of the Penguin seems odd to me. The Pro Jet is not even a Professional Line model; rather, it is an Electromatic model, albeit a very attractive Electromatic model. And the Penguin has always been something of a "Holy Grail" guitar to many. But, to favorably compare a Pro Jet with a Penguin has me stumped. Why not simply market it as an extremely price worthy guitar that looks tremendous and, with the Blacktop Filter'Trons, sounds great too. The great looks of this guitar should be enough to sell it on its own.

Or am I missing something here?

I was looking at one of these in Dawsons Music in Liverpool yesterday -- looks very good indeed, although I reckon it deserves a 'proper' Bigsby.

I agree, Dave. They look like wonderful guitars -- on their own, as a super spiffed up Pro Jet. But, then, why suggest that it favorably compares to a Penguin. That Pro Jet can withstand scrutiny on its own without needing to make that comparison. That was has left me somewhat bewildered.

Don't be baffled, Bob. It's only "advertising speak". They only promise "the highly coveted cool of the elusive Penguin", which is highly subjective. I suppose the writer supposed that gold hardwire on black constituted highly coveted Penguin cool.

Because you have to look at this from a broke kid's perspective.... "I will never have enough moneys to buy a penguin but for a fraction of the cost I can have something that for the most part looks like one"

It's marketed for a demographic that won't mind substituting an electromatic for a penguin, and is probably unsure of all of the tonal differences

But, to say that the Pro Jet looks like a Penguin would entirely overlook the different headstock of the Penguin, which is quite oversized and is a significant part of the Penguin's overall appearance. To say that a Pro Jet achieves the appearance of a Penguin would have to also be said about every Duo Jet because of the body shape.

Nothing for me to get to worked up over. I just thought that somebody was overinflating this Pro Jet a bit when it is already a striking guitar on its own.

I'm still baffled by "The Sound Of Honour", it is nonsense speak of the highest order.

I like it, it's reasonably priced but that B5 is such a dealbreaker for me. B5's are for flat slabs.

And indeed, some of the vague and senseless terminology is an assault to my rationality.

With no Penguin distractions I saw this Link this morning. A special run for Riff City. I dig the tangerine sparkle, but I wouldn't throw the aqua out of bed for eating crackers either. No Bigsbys for slabs either. A good n proper guitar to chastise Les Paul snobs with.

Although, this [Link](http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gretsch-guitars-g6131t-power-jet-firebird-electric-guitar/512166?rNtt=pro%20jet&index=9) costs 5 times that, but it makes my special place tingle.

I have to visit Riff City someday as it's less than an hour away from me.

Past the gold accoutrements, it's a projet. A kid walking in a store won't know the difference in what he is told about the guitar, and will walk out with a very very good guitar with a few flaws from the factory (the B-50). Knowledgeable guys as yourselves will spot the ringer instantly, the advertiser should know that..and probably does. It's ad speak, never absolutely accurate for any item.

It's twenty-something marketing students run amok... they have a cursory knowledge of the product. My industry, bicycles, has the same stuff aimed at selling stuff to new riders/players. They don't respond to the specifics, the pedigree, the numbers, so they try to sell it by calling the bike "sexy" or something. Veterans know the score...

Bob, I think that the reference to a Penguin was the next ad. When I first read your comments, I didn't understand the reference to a Penguin. Then I saw the email ad with several new models listed. Right under this one was a new (custom?) Penguin model. But now I can't find the email. I don't think they were comparing the ProJet to a Penguin.

However, as my loving wife will attest, I've been wrong before.

Don

Bob, I think that the reference to a Penguin was the next ad. When I first read your comments, I didn't understand the reference to a Penguin. Then I saw the email ad with several new models listed. Right under this one was a new (custom?) Penguin model. But now I can't find the email. I don't think they were comparing the ProJet to a Penguin.

However, as my loving wife will attest, I've been wrong before.

Don

– Don Birchett

I'm with your wife on this one, Don.

Take a look at this page on the Gretschguitars.com website. You can see that the same language about the Penguin vibe of this guitar is on the company's own website page about this particular guitar.

That model Bigsby sure uglies up that otherwise pretty guitar.

Agreed. Put a Caddy tailpiece on there and even I might finally lay down some coin for an Electromatic...

Oh and Tavo, are you sure that you should be posting pics of the equipment in your workout room?

The guitar is handsome enough if you like the gold stuff, but I notice that it doesn't even have the updates of the recent jets. the pickup surrounds are a gaudy gold instead of the newer and more attractive clear plastics that they put on all the other lovely jets.

It's just to much bling for anotherwise already bling'ed out guitar in it's normal pedestrian mode. Comparing it to the Penguin is a stretch at least.

I was looking at one of these in Dawsons Music in Liverpool yesterday -- looks very good indeed, although I reckon it deserves a 'proper' Bigsby.

– Dave_K

Yes and wish they'd upgrade the 5420T Bigsby, it has since the 5120 series been fitted with only 2 screws which are not in the best place to hold the plate flat to the body.

On my 5420T I bought in the summer as used but like new, I upgraded it with the V type and it looks and sounds a lot better.

I like the look of these smaller guitars though, esp. with sparkle finishes.

Nice touch going with the blue in the Bigsby Matt.

Register Sign in to join the conversation