Electromatics

The 512X Show…

Here's mine. It always photographs redder than it really is - just imagine it a shade or two more orange...

TV Jones p/ups; Tru-Arc bar bridge, 1" Bigsby spring.

Here's my 5122 The usual changes TVC's Tru Arc bar bridge 1" Spring 18:1 Sta-tite Grover's

Rockabillybob - that pickguard is PERFECT for that sunburst - that is purty!!! -hellbilly Thank you! I'm really happy with it. Took a page from the sunburst 6117T Anniversary.

This one is not mine. I just loved the pictures of it so much that I am adding it here. This was done by forum member John and he sold it I believe to another forum member. Anyway, a sunburst 5120 with P90s.

And here's an orange one with P90s as well:

If these are your guitars, sorry to have stolen your thunder.

The Show keeps getting Better 8-)

– BENTE

– BENTE

No kidding! There is an incredible amount of creativity taking place on 5120s. The neat thing about it too, is that each guitar is one of a kind.

Here is another P90'd 512x, in this case, a 5126 (I think):

Hey! The orange one above, with the two dogear P90's, used to me mine! Damn, I never shoulda sold that one!

Hey! The orange one above, with the two dogear P90's, used to me mine! Damn, I never shoulda sold that one!

Ok, so y'all remember the heartbreaking first injury to my 5123-B?

And the new jackplate I installed? (With the help of Mini-luthier Kate and her amazingly tiny hands, of course ;-) )

Well I thought that might be a good place to put my Tru-Arc sticker, and it turns out I was right!

Hellbilly, who has it now? Anyone on the forum?

dbirchett - I sold it to a guy here in town - it's floating around through the hipster crowd, I believe. I could probably buy it back for cheap (so they could buy some weed)! Hmmmm...

dbirchett - I sold it to a guy here in town - it's floating around through the hipster crowd, I believe. I could probably buy it back for cheap (so they could buy some weed)! Hmmmm...

– hellbilly

– hellbilly

Go for it!

Here's my '09 5120 with its one mod staring you in the face: a stainless steel Compton bridge.

IMG_2092 by m235turner, on Flickr

When I bought the guitar, my only amp was a Silvertone/Danelectro 1481 tube practice amp. The Gretschbuckers are muddy muddy MUDDY played through that amp, and I wanted to swap them for Filtertrons right away (being perennially broke is the only thing that kept me from doing it). But I recently bought a solid state (GASP!) practice amp, and the stock pickups sound soooo much better played through it. I can actually get a range of tones with it instead of my just "Mud", "More mud" and "Most mud" like I got with the Dano. So, like others here, my appreciation of the Gretschbuckers is growing.

MTurner, have you tried adjusting the pole pieces in the Gretschbuckers? I found with some tweaking you can clean up the mud, focus and shape your tone depending on what you do.

BuddyHollywood, I tried the Gretschbucker clarity adjustment which I read about here

But with the Silvertone amp, there was SO MUCH mud it made no difference. I'll have to play with it some more, now that I have an amp that is capable of producing clear tones, and see what happens.

I am, by the way, not dissing the Silvertone. If you want crunch, it's got it in spades. It just seems to me that's about all it has. And since I bought it, I am learning that I like pure tones a lot.

Try installing one of these in your tone pot - SPRAGUE .047mfd ORANGE DROP CAP

I think if I was a humbucker guy (which I'm not), I'd give the HS Filtertrons a shot - they're so cheap now! And of course, they LOOK awesome.

I need help! I'm looking for a brass nut to fit my 5122 that is a retro fit. I ordered one off ebay from this axemasters outfit... Garbage! The one pictured was not what I got, back it went!

Anyway, does anyone know where I might be able to score one? I saw Black Rider has one, but I'm gun shy now. So if anybody can help me out from actual experience, I would be in your debt.

Otherwise it's TUSQ maybe, though they don't list anything specifically for Gretsch. Or if somebody out there can recommend a reliable source to get one made.

Thanks

I ordered some brass nuts, two for Strats, one for a Tele and one Gretsch style from Axemasters too and I received some decent nuts. I really like their rounded slots. I wonder why yours was garbage?

I also recently contacted Blackrider and asked them if their brass nuts are the same nut that is on the Duane Eddy model and I received a response that said, "Not exactly the same nut."

I would trust Blackrider though because they are an authorized Gretsch dealer.

BuddyHollywood, to answer you question, compared to the photo on the add, it was nite and day. The add showed this beautifully cut nut, contoured, beveled string slots, polished. I ended up with a rectangle with slots. The slots had probably about a twenty inch radius, the 5122 has a twelve. The add claimed it was made for 6120's 5120's, Setzers etc. I did contact them, they claimed Gretsch keeps changing their dimensions... What?

After checking out their other ebay listings for similar guitars, the picture was the same guitar. On top of that, they send a plea attached to the bill, if your dissatisfied, please contact them first before adding negative feedback. Not really a vote of confidense on their part. I never saw that before 8-o

I contacted them, they said send it back for refund, which I did. I don't know what you ended up with, I would guess better. I don't know what their situation is, maybe they are made by a different vendor, luthier?

Anyway, for twenty bucks I was expecting what I saw. At double the price of what Black Rider advertised, I feel it should have been what I ordered. I was looking forward to a nice addition to my guitar. Now I'm back where I started :(

Bente, I hope you understand that no nut that you buy will be a glue on and play item. All nuts will need to be at the least sanded, and sometimes the slots need attention as well.

Register Sign in to join the conversation