Electromatics

Should I use Guitar Center for Set Up?

I don't think you can make a general statement about all the techs at GC. I live in a guitar town (Austin). We have 3 Guitar Centers and a few local shops that have been around for years. The tech at the GC nearest me knows his stuff and guarantees his work. I think he enjoys working there with guys his age. They are all real players, no posers. The main thing is to be able to tell the tech what you want. Know about the strings you are using, action, etc. Everybody is different. If he's any good he will ask you questions. If you see high turnover in employees, that's a problem. This store has had the same core guys for over 2 years. If your guitar is 50-60 years old, you might not use GC. My favorite techs for vintage stuff are no longer with us.

I recommend talking to local Musicians too.. GC's can be hit & miss..

If it's an expensive Guitar or Vintage get someone who has good reviews. Even if you have to drive out of town... Worth it.

I finally decided after years to learn how to do it myself... If I can do it, anyone can do it.. I mean that seriously! You Tube is your Friend!!!!

Buy a little Guitar Kit from Amazon, GC, Allparts or Stew Mac or whoever you buy from.. Not too expensive & well worth it in the long run...

I've never been to a GC tech, and probably wouldn't if I lived on the mainland. I've been to three techs in Hawaii. The first was very good but got MS and stopped working. I've been to an outright crook that did not do the work required and charged me for it. I recognize my own string jobs and they were never removed and the work couldn't have been done without it. I paid more ransom to get my guitar back than any work done. He will never see my business again. My present guy is a gifted luthier and tech and has performed great work on 4 of my guitars. I think I would seek someone outside of GC, not for convenience for sure, but for peace of mind that the work is being done correctly.

We don't have GC around here (Canada), but I still vote for a local guy if you can. I've been using a tech/luthier attached to my local Mom & Pop for over 20 years and the only complaint I have is he's too slow. Workmanship is excellent, just un-hurried.

It is quite easy to learn a guitar set up and doesn't take too many tools and you will be able to set up your guitars always! You can even add to that by learning how to cut and file bridges. You won't regret it.

I don't think you can make a general statement about all the techs at GC. I live in a guitar town (Austin). We have 3 Guitar Centers and a few local shops that have been around for years. The tech at the GC nearest me knows his stuff and guarantees his work. I think he enjoys working there with guys his age. They are all real players, no posers. The main thing is to be able to tell the tech what you want. Know about the strings you are using, action, etc. Everybody is different. If he's any good he will ask you questions. If you see high turnover in employees, that's a problem. This store has had the same core guys for over 2 years. If your guitar is 50-60 years old, you might not use GC. My favorite techs for vintage stuff are no longer with us.

– Falcon64

Mark Erlewine there in Austin comes to mind if our new enquirer is anywhere nearby.

It is quite easy to learn a guitar set up and doesn't take too many tools and you will be able to set up your guitars always! You can even add to that by learning how to cut and file bridges. You won't regret it.

– flashman

I agree, however there are those in other circles that consider you deficient and will let you know it, if you take your guitar into someone who does it for his profession as opposed to your kitchen table hobby. I've been roasted for "not knowing what I'm doing" when I know that I can do basic set up, intonation, stringing, and the usual you learn along the way. Other things more intricate that I am not familiar with, I will remain unfamiliar and let a pro do it.

I would rather pay and have it done right, than pay because I messed it up with little knowledge, and frankly, I'm 70 and I don't want to do the work. I want them prepared professionally so that when I pass I pass on playable and correct guitars and not junk I messed with.

Register Sign in to join the conversation