Electromatics

Say hello to my little friend 5420t Aspen Green

Well I did it and I'm thrilled to own my second Gretsch. As I mentioned in another post the neck is a little beefier than I prefer but it's playable! I took this opportunity to check out using 11s instead of 10s and I'm liking the results. I might put 11s on my 6119.

My near term plans are a Serpentune bridge. I need to play a little louder to determine how much I like the pickups. At low volume they seem a little crunchy for my taste. I could see putting in a set of TVJ classics but I need to play at stage volume before I make a determination.

Also the Bigsby arm has a different angel than my 6119, I come close to hitting the pickguard with my hand when doing a down sweep. I see some people use the Reverend 1" spring, that will raise the arm just a little bit but I was wondering if anyone else has found the arm to be a little on the low side? Like I wish it was raised another inch or so.

And what is a "secured base/bridge" exactly? Is it pinned or?

Anyhow, I'm having fun getting to know it.

Sorry for the crappy photo but I was in a rush, and the body is not scratched, that's a glare you see.

Oh and I have nothing but good things to say about Archie's Guitars in Richardson Texas!

Congrats, nice guitar! „Secured“ means the bridge is screwed into the top...not the best idea since the bridge base doesn’t sit close on the top that way. I would un-secure the base (just unscrew the threads of the bridge), swap the cheapo ABR for a Tru-Arc or, best bet, a dBridge and leave the bridge floating. Big tone improvement!

Congrats, nice guitar! „Secured“ means the bridge is screwed into the top...not the best idea since the bridge base doesn’t sit close on the top that way. I would un-secure the base (just unscrew the threads of the bridge), swap the cheapo ABR for a Tru-Arc or, best bet, a dBridge and leave the bridge floating. Big tone improvement!

– Stefan

Thanks, I'll look for the base screws. And what is a "dBridge"? And yeah come March I will be ordering a Tru Arc!

edit - never mind, I found the dBridge folks. I'm a Tru Arc guy but those look cool too.

Congrats on the 5420! I put a serpentune on mine and I've very happy with the results. Tim as a model made specifically to work with the pinned bridge on these so it's an easy swap. To raise the arm height, you can put a nylon washer under the spring, or a coin - I think I used a penny on mine. The stock blacktop pickups are good, but a little beefier sounding than typical filtertrons. I swapped out the pickups on mine and wound some myself.

Enjoy the guitar!

Photo's just don't do this color any favors. They're beautiful. Congrats!

Yeah my crappy photo does not do the color justice, it's a gorgeous guitar. Like wearing a shark skin suit.

In spite of the thread I started prior to this one talking about how I could not love the neck I have grown into it. It's not my favorite shape but it's just fine. I'm going to take it back to the shop and have them shave down the nut some but other than that it's awesome.

The first thing I do with a new guitar is hit the back of the neck with 0000 steel wool to get rid of some of the top layer poly/gunk and smooth it all out. Man oh man that neck is like silk now.

And for the first time I'm playing with 11s (instead of 10s) and really enjoying the tone and don't feel like I'm sacrificing play-ability at all. I probably won't change my 6119 to use 11s only because my 6119 is absolutely perfect in every way and I'm not going to try and improve perfection.

Really glad I got this guitar. I have yet to play it at stage volume so I can't really comment on the pickups yet.

Great guitar and the black filters are one of my favorites. They can get really smooth too!

Love that color! I thought the Bigsbys usually shipped with the 1" spring and the Reverend product was for a softer, easier whammy. Seems I've always had to hunt down a 7/8" for my preference. You can stick a little plastic washer in there too - I've had some come with that too. I think a nickle or a penny or something works too, in a pinch, to raise your spring up.

Great guitar and the black filters are one of my favorites. They can get really smooth too!

– NJDevil

Any tips on getting smooth out of the blacktops? I was playing this weekend through a Princeton reissue and my thoughts on the pickups were kind of neutral. I wasn't crazy about them nor was I terribly bothered by them.

I play mostly clean and want sparkle.

And I ordered the Reverend spring and will add a washer(s) if needed once I get it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation