Electromatics

Recording the ‘acoustic’ of semi acoustic on an Electromatic.

I love the sound of my Electromatic in the room but when I go to record it, I can get a great sound using the pick-ups and amp - but I really want to capture the acoustic vibe of it too. So far I've tried different mics and positions and nothing really captures it well. Does anybody have any tips on getting the 'acoustic' part of 'semi-acoustic' down on a track in the studio? Many thanks!

I think this is an interesting question, but what qualities do you put into 'acoustic vibe'?

What mic techniques have you tried that didn't work for you?

Do you want to use that sound on its' own or add it as a spice to a more basic/standard tone?

Try a good condenser Mic pointed at the neck at the base where the body and neck come together. I've seen it done like that but not sure what you've tried.

Dean Markley makes a little piezoelectric contact pickup, that's used to amplify acoustic guitars. It uses a gum like substance to stick the pickup to the guitar. I used one for a long time to amplify my mandolin, before I finally upgraded to a piezoelectric bridge. It gets the best sound by using only about half of the sticky gum, spread very thin (be sure to save the other half). I paid $40 for mine, and it did the trick capturing the acoustic qualities of my mandolin. It's easily removed and repositioned to find the sweet spot, and doesn't damage the finish at all. The best place to stick it is as close to the bridge as possible, this is where the string vibration is the strongest.

I think Suprdave is on it. I would use a condenser mic close to where he states maybe closer to the hole and maybe 6 -12 inches from your strumming hand. But to get the sound your looking for (I think) I would place an additional condenser mic in the room off to the side like at a 45 deg. angle from your pick hand (whether you're lefty/righty). That way you can mix both mic signals together and you'll get the straight sound plus true ambient sound/reverb which should make it sound true. If you don't have 2 condensers or only one I'd put that or a Sm57 (or similar) close to your strumming hand, at least. You could double track that one with a bit o' verb. That might get you what you are looking for when you mix 'em together.

I’ve had good luck using a BLUE Baby Bottle on the left pointed at around the 12th fret, along with a BLUE Bluebird to the right, pointed toward a spot just in from the bridge. That way, you have control of how much “body tone” you want in relation to “stringy attack” before you even need to think about the EQ stage. Those are both large-diaphragm condensers that catch a decent amount of air, as well. Seems like that factor contributes to the tracks’ acousticity (izzat a word?) Also, I only personally use a completely hollow body for such things, in case that needs mention.

Register Sign in to join the conversation