Electromatics

Rattling bridge - advice needed

Hi all,

Just bought a new G5220 and she's a peach.

But, she has a rattle on the bridge. After looking on another Gretsch forum, several alternatives were suggested, such as Gotoh, Tonepros and Compton.

I have my eye on a Gotoh as it's relatively cheap and available in my country (UK). Does anyone have any experience with this replacement bridge?

Take the plunge and get a Tru-Arc.

Try the Gotoh, it likely will be an upgrade. Before you decide, drop some clear nail polish on the intonation screw threads and by the retainer spring. This is basically nitrocellulose lacquer and if you find the right spot it will probably eliminate your rattle (for awhile). Of all things mentioned, don’t forget about the ABM 2400 roller TOM...

Thank you both for your speedy responses!

The Tru-arc bridge is a bit out of my price range at the moment, as I just bought the guitar around a month ago. My better half wouldn't appreciate me going out and spending that before Christmas.

I will try the nail polish first as that is the cheaper option

With regards to the Gotoh -

This is the one I'm looking at: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp...

But...

Does anyone know what model is the correct one for my guitar? Is it the ABR-1 replacement or am I looking for something else? Are the pre-cut ones suitable or am I going to need to fettle it for 10-gauge strings?

Thanks in advance...

Precut is fine.

For fit, you need to measure the diameter of the mounting posts and their center-to-center spacing, and make sure those match the proposed replacement.

@Proteus

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.

Nemesis44UK,

On your new G5220, without readjusting/moving the bridge saddle, GENTLY turn the noisy intonation screw clockwise to reduce the slack between the screwhead and bridge base.

Play it until you sweat into it and it stops rattling.

Not being sarcastic--i mean it, actually.

K

My Hot Rod rattled way too much. I just bought a new bridge and have been much happier with the sound. I went with a Compton. I've heard great things about Tru-Arc as well.

Thank you all. I'm going to try these tips.

I'm having no luck with measuring, I can't match up with any model so far.

Compton I cannot get in the UK. The website is down and there are no retailers as far as I can tell.

The Tru-Arc is the Rolls Royce of bridges as far as I can tell, it's just a bit much for me at the moment.

Is the bridge saddle flush with the top? You might also sand the bottom if it isn't sitting flush.

In the meantime..... use some hard as nails fingernail clear polish on the spring facing the pickups. Its a small metal stright spring right behind the intonation screws used to hold them in place, but it itself will rattle. Put some of that on the spring until you can get a proper bar bridge installed...

Yeah, as highly as I think of TruArcs, I don't think you need a new bridge, and given that you just got it (and may make the missus irate) I don't think you should get a new bridge.

I'd start by making sure it's adjusted correctly (as Joe mentioned), followed by the nail polish trick.

If both of those didn't resolve it, then I'd ask about a take-off bridge until funds opened up. I'm pretty sure someone has a non-rattly tuneamatic that'll fit a 5220 that they took off in favor of a fancier option that you could get dirt cheap or even free.

Yeah, as highly as I think of TruArcs, I don't think you need a new bridge, and given that you just got it (and may make the missus irate) I don't think you should get a new bridge.

I'd start by making sure it's adjusted correctly (as Joe mentioned), followed by the nail polish trick.

If both of those didn't resolve it, then I'd ask about a take-off bridge until funds opened up. I'm pretty sure someone has a non-rattly tuneamatic that'll fit a 5220 that they took off in favor of a fancier option that you could get dirt cheap or even free.

– Baxter

I agree there's no need to immediately change it. I remember everyone posting about dumping the original bridge when the 5120's first came out.

I've had mine since 2007 and did the same thing.... after setting up intonation, lightly tighten the individual screws to snug-up the slack, then put a little clear nail polish on the threads and a bit on the retention wire. It's almost invisible! Not only did it fix the buzz, but even if you re-adjust intonation when you replace your strings, the polish on the threads & wire and usually retains enough friction ! I've only reapplied polish maybe 3 times in 14 years!

(funny thing... I still occasionally say I may upgrade it, Yeah, right! See how urgent that turned out to be!)

Isn't 'Rattling Bridge" a bluegrass standard?

Register Sign in to join the conversation