Electromatics

PSA on Surf Green DC Double Jet

I don’t generally advocate patronizing non-GDP-sponsoring Gretsch dealers, but while browsing the latest GC promotion this morning, I discovered they’d put the Surf Green Double Jet, the FSR one that comes with actual HS Filtertrons instead of blacktops, on their Memorial Day sale for $599, which is $100 less than their regular price. Not a huge bargain, but the lowest price you’re going to find on a Gretsch with actual HS Filtertrons in it, and that color makes my heart go a little arrhythmic. If it had a Bigsby of any description, I probably would have grabbed one already. Carry on. https://www.guitarcenter.co...

Gold looks funny on there though. It's vibrating against the smurf green. Makes my eyes think something is wrong with them.

That could be why they’re on sale. Rocky’s now got a Firebird red ElectroJet for $50 less, with Bigsby, that’s vying for my attention. Oh, the stuff that lands in your Inbox....

Played one a little while back at a local GC and was impressed. Sounded good and played very well (and would play amazing with a very basic set-up). It also felt lighter that a typical Electro Jet. IMO, it's better that it doesn't come with a Bigsby. You can remove the tailpiece and put on a B5/B50 and mount it further back for a less severe string break over the bridge than the stock placement of the B50 which is mounted too close to the bridge and results in a very stiff, unresponsive feel and tuning problems.

IMO, it's better that it doesn't come with a Bigsby. You can remove the tailpiece and put on a B5/B50 and mount it further back for a less severe string break over the bridge than the stock placement of the B50 which is mounted too close to the bridge and results in a very stiff, unresponsive feel and tuning problems.

Astute observation. Good approach.

Register Sign in to join the conversation