Electromatics

New 5422TG

I've been Gretsch-less for the past year or so after I had to sell my 5120 (with TV Jones pups). Well, I am now Gretsch-ed once again!

Picked up a new 5422TG tonight. She's a byoot! Really love the look and feel of her. I'll see if I bond with the blacktop filtertrons. So far, I like their chime-y quality. I miss having the TV Jones Classics - I loved the way they sounded in my 5120, so I may do that mod again, but we'll see.

Happy to be back in Gretschlandia!

Here she is relaxing in a chair after I gave her a good workout.

Congrats, Jim! Welcome back to Gretsch ownership!

I was Gretsch-less for awhile, myself. It was just as though there was a great big hole running though me. A new Tenny, bought a few weeks ago, fixed that.

She's a looker!!! Real nice :)

I too was was Gretsch-less for a while and a few weeks ago i got a G5422T, a black one. Maybe it's just the honeymoon period but I'm totally smitten with it! I swear it sounds better all the time. Gretsch has done a fantastic job on these.

Enjoy!!!

Thanks guys. Does anyone know if TV Jones Classics will fit into the 5422's blacktop space? I'll ask at their website - I know they're good at responding to these kinds of questions - but I noticed someone asked there about the rings, and the response was that the TV Jones rings would be too small.

Has anyone swapped out their 5422's blacktops for other pickups? Are the specs the same as, say, the 5122?

i'm in the same boat... will probably want to put in a set of TV's. So... anyone know if they are a direct fit?

I'm not sure but on the TV Jones website there is an IM feature and you can ask them in real time.

Adjust them up high. The Blacktops are actually pretty good pickups.

– Suprdave

How high is high, Suprdave? Pole pieces or housing?

Thanks, Adam

How high is high, Suprdave? Pole pieces or housing?

Thanks, Adam

– Adsy81

and on top of that question... what is the expected benefit? i think i read it produces more volume. i personal do not need them to be louder, but I'm looking to improve tone. less boomy on the bottom. otherwise i agree these pick ups aren't bad. in fact i get some pretty nice tones. but as a tone freak I'm always looking to improve on a good thing

The entire pickup needs to be raised. Joe removed them from the top, clipped the springs down to about 3/8" long , reinstalled and adjusted up as high as they would go without causing a playability issue, which is surprisingly close, actually. It seriously completely changed the sound on my G5191BK. It was like it opened up. Regardless, they are brighter than some pickups so go to your amp and adjust accordingly.

It sounds like the Blacktops behave like HiLotrons. From my experience with HiLotrons I had to raise them up as high as they would go and then raise the pole pieces as high as they would go without touching the strings.

My experience with HS Filtertrons and DynaSonics are similar but with them if you go too high they will distort so it takes some effort to find the sweet spot. For both I raise the bridge pickup as high as they can go and still sound good, usually with shims and then adjust the poles for string balance. For the neck pickup I don't usually raise the whole pickup but have the pole pieces higher than I do on the bridge pickup for extra clarity.

i'm in the same boat... will probably want to put in a set of TV's. So... anyone know if they are a direct fit?

– Chris-O-Matic

I asked at the the TV Jones website. This is the response I got from Sean:

"Yes our pickups will drop right in with no problems and all you will need is 2 dual screw mount adapters to make them work with the rings you have. They are 5 bucks a piece and easily install."

So there ya go.

I asked at the the TV Jones website. This is the response I got from Sean:

"Yes our pickups will drop right in with no problems and all you will need is 2 dual screw mount adapters to make them work with the rings you have. They are 5 bucks a piece and easily install."

So there ya go.

– Jimbodiddley

Ya that's good news. Now just to decide on the right pick up set

@jimbodiddley, what set are you planning on getting for your 5422?

Maybe go with a B6C USA upgrade as I did on my 54 series guitars. Much better metal and improved playability and tone, but use the original Korean B6 spring so it sets the Bigsby arm at the best position.

I use a 6120DC JD from 2003 for live playing, sounds good and has TV's in as standard, being an ex Fender Roadshow demonstrator guitar.

I like the Blacktops, they sound a bit Duane Eddy, with the VOX AD60 set up right it does sound quite like Duane.

Just re-read... TV Classics?

– Chris-O-Matic

Probably. I really liked the Classics in my former 5120. But I'm gonna live with the Blacktops for a while. Give them a chance to make their case.

One thing i would like to change is the volume pots. They're not very responsive. The whole range is contained from 10 to 9.5, if you know what I mean. really makes it useless to try to blend the pickups when you're in the middle position. When you back off the volume of the bridge pup more than 9.5, for instance, it sounds pretty much the same as the bridge pup on its own. Is that just a matter of replacing the pots?

– Suprdave

Superdave, is that a general observation, or does it depend on one's playing style? I'm not much of a Chet-style picker - more about rootsy rock, blues - Neil Young, Pete Townsend end of the Gretsch spectrum.

Probably. I really liked the Classics in my former 5120. But I'm gonna live with the Blacktops for a while. Give them a chance to make their case.

One thing i would like to change is the volume pots. They're not very responsive. The whole range is contained from 10 to 9.5, if you know what I mean. really makes it useless to try to blend the pickups when you're in the middle position. When you back off the volume of the bridge pup more than 9.5, for instance, it sounds pretty much the same as the bridge pup on its own. Is that just a matter of replacing the pots?

– Jimbodiddley

Same here with the Blacktops... they do sound pretty good most of the time. From time to time i find them dark/boomy on the bass end. However this could be due to my attack. So I'm not rushing, but at the same time why not make a good thing better?! We'll see

As for the pots... i leave everything on fullso i haven't noticed. I have read recommendations to replace them. I also read the same about the nut and the tuners, and i don't see why. I use the bar a lot and it stays in tune just fine. I haven't needed to tune up in over a week!

I can say this for sure... I'm very glad i found this guitar, I'm really enjoying it.

Hey Gretsch how about one in Cadillac Green? :)

@matt66, not being a smart ass here, but can you tell me how the B6C improved playability and tone?

For what it's worth the stock Bigsby feels and plays pretty good to me. Also need a while since my last Gretsch so it's hard for me to compare. I do remember the handle on my old DSW felt great. One thing i like about the stock one now is the handle says where i put it, something the DSW did not do. Even after tightening regularly

She's a looker!!! Real nice :)

I too was was Gretsch-less for a while and a few weeks ago i got a G5422T, a black one. Maybe it's just the honeymoon period but I'm totally smitten with it! I swear it sounds better all the time. Gretsch has done a fantastic job on these.

Enjoy!!!

– Chris-O-Matic

I'm eager to buy a Gretsch. Like the look of single cut (5420), but in doubt about the double cut (5422) so I think its playability is better. What do you think?

I'm eager to buy a Gretsch. Like the look of single cut (5420), but in doubt about the double cut (5422) so I think its playability is better. What do you think?

– Eagle

5420 was my first choice, it's what i thought i wanted. but i really like the feel of the 5422 when i played it at the shop. everything about it felt right to me. as for playability, there's no right or wrong answer. it's really just what feels best to you. best thing is if you can get a chance to play a few.

I'm actually quite liking the blacktops. Definitely more "shallow" a bite than TV Jones Classics, but kinda cool in their own way.

Just occurred to me... What if I put a TV Classic just in the bridge position? Would it match up with the blacktop neck pup - in terms of output, etc?

Well, after having this guitar for a little over a month, I was struggling with tuning issues and some buzzing. I had put 10s on it, and was trying to get the action right, switched the bridge to a brass serpentune Tru-Arc. Nut-sauce. Finally took it in for a pro set up, but the strings seemed even more "rubbier" after that, and it just didn't seem right. Tuning was more stable, but still a bit of a problem on the bass side.

So, I changed to a set of 11-50 (D'Addarios) – had a feeling this guitar was just asking for 11s to perform at its best – and that seems to be just what the doctor ordered. Happy guitar, happy guitar servant.

Register Sign in to join the conversation