Electromatics

Pickup choices

I got my new G5420T Friday don’t care much for the blacktop pickups was looking at TV Jones but can’t make up my mind on the Powertron or classic plus... I mostly play Rock and hard rock music but kinda digging the rockabilly stuff (that’s the reason for buying a Gretsch) was wandering if anybody here has swapped the pickups and what you like...

It's more like who HASN'T swapped pickups...

"Paging Suprdave . . . Suprdave, please pick up the white courtesy phone!"

I have both TV classics and Powertrons in guitars and I like classics much better for rock. They just have more of everything, clarity, twang and the ability to get nasty and thick. Here is a link to my bands FB Page. The first video in “posts” is me playing my Jag Tan Annie w/ TV classics. They can rock as good as any other pick up.

Note: it’s the Billy Idol song I’m referring to. https://m.facebook.com/Dist...

Note: there has been some discussion about the Vox ac10..... this is what 10W can sound like on an outdoor stage.

Suprdave is going to advise you to adjust the height of the blackfaces before deciding to off them - and he's right. He'll be along with the details.

If after adjusting and living with the blackfaces for awhile, you still decide to swapem, I'm in favor of a Classic at the neck and Classic Plus at the bridge. Power'Trons are great - and I like them in solidbodies - but in a hollowbody, they're just thicker and middier enough that they may not give you all you bought a Gretsch to get.

Though such determinations are always matters of taste.

In any case, one thing the blacktops do, properly adjusted, is rock. So don't break out the checkbook or credit card yet. Satisfaction may be as close as a screwdriver.

Suprdave is going to advise you to adjust the height of the blackfaces before deciding to off them - and he's right. He'll be along with the details.

If after adjusting and living with the blackfaces for awhile, you still decide to swapem, I'm in favor of a Classic at the neck and Classic Plus at the bridge. Power'Trons are great - and I like them in solidbodies - but in a hollowbody, they're just thicker and middier enough that they may not give you all you bought a Gretsch to get.

Though such determinations are always matters of taste.

In any case, one thing the blacktops do, properly adjusted, is rock. So don't break out the checkbook or credit card yet. Satisfaction may be as close as a screwdriver.

– Proteus

Have to agree. Adjust first, then swap out if you're still not happy with them.

Makes me wonder how many guitars over the years got traded off, just due to improperly adjusted pups.

We're in a Golden Age of pups right now with what's out there.

To get the most out if any guitar, adjust the pups to spec, and play it a while. Swap out the pups if you're still not happy with it.

This all said, one won't get a Gretsch to sound like a LP, or vice versa. However, fine tuning either will give you killer sounding instrument.

Register Sign in to join the conversation