Electromatics

no relief

I have a new Gretsch Electromatic with no relief in the neck. There is buzzing any time I move up the fingerboard beyond the 3rd fret. I have slowly backed off the truss rod to now where it is completely slack. The neck is as straight as an arrow. Any suggestions?

I have a new Gretsch Electromatic with no relief in the neck. There is buzzing any time I move up the fingerboard beyond the 3rd fret. I have slowly backed off the truss rod to now where it is completely slack. The neck is as straight as an arrow. Any suggestions?

– samcatoo

If you have negative relief, back bow, it would buzz on the first fret. How are you determining straight, what is your reference?

What gauge strings are on the guitar, and (to experiment) did you try raising the bridge to see if it increases the relief? (Raising the bridge will add a bit more pull.)

....like nielDa said above. Besides, no amount of relief will eliminate fret buzz if your bridge is way too low! I'd raise that bridge just to see if the fret buzz disappears or, at least, may decrease significantly. Also, be sure you are actually checking for relief correctly. Simplest way with the strings on and tuned to pitch so you can yse the strings as a "straightedge". Then put a capo behind your first fret, & then fret your string at the 15th fret. If the strings are NOT touching at the 7th fret, then you are getting some relief. But if the strings are still touching all the frets, then you have an issue and suggest you take it to a luither for further evaluation!

Easiest way is to fret on the first fret and where the neck meets the body then see how much bounce you have in the middle. Your gap should be about the thickness of a business card.

i've found that if i go that low, i get buzz. i usually eyeball it to about 1mm and work from there. you're the expert, though.

Register Sign in to join the conversation