Electromatics

NGD

NGD. This came today from Street Sounds. 5422G-12 slightly used. Looks awesome. I’m in the transportation business in FLA. Needless to say things are crazy with the current situation. Barely had time to open the box.

Congrats! The box looks great but how about a picture of the guitar?

You're such a tease. . .

This is as far as I got. I’ll try and post more when I get to spend a little time.

Excellent 12-string. Play'er in good health!

That's gorgeous! Congratulations and enjoy!

I think you're gonna like it even more when you start playing it. I'm impressed with mine all over again every time I play it.

Congrats !

Colour looks brighter/redder than normal to me for walnut stain,probably just the lighting.

WOW! Gorgeous!! Now go have some fun with your new beauty!

Thanks for all of the positive comments. So. I haven’t played a 12 string since the early 90’s when I traded my old Epiphone acoustic 12 for a Silvertone archtop, but I’ve been watching too much “Echo in the Canyon” lately and started Jonesing for a Rick 12. Now a Rick 12 is, to me, like an XKE. The sexiest looking thing out there but not necessarily the most practical. After reading a bunch of discussions, I remembered that I traded my 325 for my 54 Duo-Jet (1985) because the neck was a little too narrow. I also played a buddy’s 620/6 and just wasn’t blown away. So did some hunting and found this at Streetsounds, told him I heard about him here. For the short time I’ve had it I’m quite impressed with the build quality. It came with the strings loose, but tuned up pretty easily. The color is just awesome. It looked lighter than the ones you see in the ads, but I thought it might be lighting. But the color of it on the floor of my shop is pretty accurate. THATs the longest post I’ve ever written. Will report more once I’ve played it a bit if anyone interested.

Also this was 1/3 rd the price of a 330/12.

Outstanding. Nothing quite sounds like a Rickenbacker 12 but that doesn't mean other electric 12's don't sound great too....just a bit different. Gretsch Electro 12's play good, sound good, and you can't beat the quality at that price point. Nice hsc too.

Congratulations on the new guitar, Pat, I've been interested in this model too. I haven't had a 12 string guitar since about 1985, my last one was an Alverez that got broken by the movers when I returned from an overseas assignment. I hope you enjoy your new guitar, I'm sure you will!

I actually prefer the look of yours over the darker walnut stain!

That's the only one of those I've seen in that color. Looks almost Gretsch orange, unique and very distinctive.

I'd hoped to find a more interesting color for mine, but ended up settling for the black as the least ho-hum/clichéd choice. Basic black, huh? Maybe seldom the rightest right choice - but never the wrong one.

But in whatever color, it's a fabulous guitar. I have a Ric 360/12 (yup, it sounds like a Ric and cue the narrow-neck whining), Reverend Airwave, and Italia Rimini 12s as well and can tell you the Gretsch is physically the easiest of those to play, with a tone that gives up nothing to any of them. Distinctly its own, useful in all three pickup positions, with an ideal balance of body and sparkle, smooth blend and cut. I don't think there's a better electric 12-string out there.

Thanks everyone. Yes, the reddish brown color is great. It’s thin enough to allow wood grain to show, and is nicely offset by the binding and the gold trim.I’m really happy with it. It does have a slight scuff on the pickguard, but I’m hoping that it will buff out. Proteus, your description of your 12 strings in another thread helped push me in this direction. I thought about the Airwave. I have Club King RT and love it, but not really sure of the look of the AW and no dealers around here (S. FL) I was pretty confident in what I was getting with the Gretsch sight unseen. And yes it’s very playable. I’ll get some more pics out.

I’ve been playing it for the last week and I am much impressed. My old Epiphone acoustic 12 was strung with the wound heavy gauge strings on top, which I understand is how Ric’s are strung. I’m thinking of setting it up that way. Also thinking of a compressor pedal. Right now playing it straight into the old Princeton. Things are really starting to wind down at work, so I’ll have a lot more time....

I’ve been playing it for the last week and I am much impressed. My old Epiphone acoustic 12 was strung with the wound heavy gauge strings on top, which I understand is how Ric’s are strung. I’m thinking of setting it up that way. Also thinking of a compressor pedal. Right now playing it straight into the old Princeton. Things are really starting to wind down at work, so I’ll have a lot more time....

Sorry my pics are not great. Trying to show the wood grain. It’s really a translucent reddish brown. In the light it looks quite red. Hope everyone is doing ok.

With the Princeton

Register Sign in to join the conversation