Electromatics

NGD - FSR Gretsch G5135 CVT

I got a Gretsch G5135 CVT FSR in vintage white from Music 123 on Reverb. Fun guitar as a modding platform and for banging out some garage rock and punk.

Nice neck, stays in tune fairly well, but will likely replace the delrin nut for a bone nut and get in touch with Tim (Proteus) for a SerpenTune Copper CU-120 / ES-2 to replace the stock bridge.

For now, I had to tweak the bridge's b-string saddle for buzziness. Got rid of the buzz and I fiddled with the b-string slot in the nut, too. However, the b-string bridge saddle worked itself loose again after playing for about an hour so I had to re-tighten it.

I've had blacktop pickups before and they aren't bad, but I think I'd like to put in some TV Jones Super'Trons.

Looks good in off-white and tort! I wouldn't do without a Bigsby, though!

Happy to make you a copper ES-2. It would be a good time to order, as the shop is starting a batch soon.

Nice. Never saw a bound neck corvette before. Is this part of the special run or haven’t I been paying attention.

Yup, Bob, a factory special run - a quick Google search shows them also to be available at Musician's Friend and Target.

Thanks, Tim! Yup, a Bigsby would be nice, too. I'll try to place an order as soon as I can.

Dang is that a 1 3/4" wide neck...sorta looks like it... I could get interested if it has that extra 1 1/6th" Let me know?

Specs from Musician's Friend :

SPECIFICATIONS Body Body shape: Single cutaway Body type: Solid body Body material: Top wood: Body wood: Mahogany Body finish: Gloss Orientation: Right handed Neck Neck shape: Not specified Neck wood: Mahogany Joint: Set-in Scale length: 24.6 in. Truss rod: Yes Neck finish: Gloss Fretboard Material: Black walnut Radius: 12 in. Fret size: Medium jumbo Number of frets: 22 Inlays: Block Nut width: 1.687 in. (42.8 mm) Synthetic Bone Pickups Configuration: HH Neck: Filter'Tron Middle: Bridge: Filter'Tron Brand: Gretsch Active or passive pickups: Passive Series or parallel: Parallel Piezo: No Active EQ: No Special electronics: Controls Control layout: Master volume, tone Pickup switch: 3-way Coil tap or split: No Kill switch: No Hardware Bridge type: Fixed Bridge design: Adjusto-matic Tailpiece: V Tuning machines: Vintage--style Color: Chrome Other Number of strings: 6-string Special features: Case: Sold separately Accessories: Country of origin: China

Hey thanks.. it isn't quite 1.75. Still cool tho.

Yeah, I like chunky necks myself but this one is alright - 12" raidus helps.

Great color. The binding is a nice touch. Congrats

Dang is that a 1 3/4" wide neck...sorta looks like it... I could get interested if it has that extra 1 1/6th" Let me know?

– DCBirdMan

I think you may be right. I'm noticing that it has what appears to be a nut made out of that plastic nonsense.

I know what ya' mean Rob about the wider necks.....my small collection is veritably 'swimming' in wider necks, with 2 at 1.875", the matched set of Ovation's best IMO models they ever made

I love the colour but I couldn't put up with the bridge pickup route it just looks unfinished.

Maybe surrounds would fix that. Or possibly a dog-eared P90 in the bridge.

Now that I've been havin' a think on it, I'm likely to go with some TV Jones T90s for both neck and bridge.

I saw one of those online and thought it looked really sharp. Couldn't find any reviews or demos. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, razzer!

Tim, I emailed you about the Tru-Arc SerpenTune Copper CU-120 / ES-2 to get your confirmation/correction about making sure I have the costs estimated correctly.

At first glance one can’t help but think “Princess” as the white finish on a Vette conjures up that reaction for me... however I like the contrast the tortoise guard provides, so I’ll dub this one as a “Prince” (no purple required).

That's going to be a monster with SuperTrons!

Tru Arc coppers are my favorites.

Looks great, too.

Congrats and enjoy!

How about one of each? Surfysonic mentioned T90s. How about a Supertron neck and T90 bridge? I did this with a brass Serpentune on my Streamliner with good results.

Nice guitar Surfysonic, and those are great mods you have planned. Enjoy her in good health sir!

Great looking guitar. A B5 with a Vibramate might work.

Thanks, guys! I have definitely decided to go with TV Jones T-90s (both neck & bridge). Now I need your help in determining the best pickup mount option.

Here are the stock Blacktop Filter'Trons (pickup width is 2-3/4") in the body - the mounts have 2 screw holes on the left side and one screw hole on the right side:

Neck pickup mount style:

Bridge pickup mount style:

Both pickups mount style:

If I go with the English Mount or Original Pro Gretsch Mount, likely will have to make new screw holes (I'm OK with that).

T-90 Bridge English Mount (T9B-EMCHM-BLK)

T-90 Neck English Mount (T9N-EMCHM-BLK)

T-90 Bridge - Original Pro Gretsch Mount (T9B-OMCHM-BLK)

T-90 Neck - Original Pro Gretsch Mount (T9N-OMCHM-BLK)

Just adding these, although this may be the least likely option:

T-90 Bridge No Ears Mount (T9B-NECHM-BLK)

T-90 Neck No Ears Mount (T9N-NECHM-BLK)

Good choice with the T90s. I like the last choice best. At least you won’t have to worry so much hole alignment. Plus they would look good imo.

Steve- I believe Tv has screw mount adapters for the 2 hole bass side adjustment from electro blacktops.

Register Sign in to join the conversation