Electromatics

NGD- Cats-eyes!

I've always been impressed with the Superhilos pickups since they came out, and I love the look of catseye sound holes. Well, I got them both by acquiring this first generation 5622T in rosa red. Only mods I'm planning is a tru-arc and maybe getting a silver pickguard. https://i.imgur.com/gA1CuEL...

That looks like a lot of fun.

Congrats! That one is on my bucket list.

That’s a nice cat. Congrats.

Everything sounds better with Cat's Eyes.

Got the same guitar but in black -- love it.

Everything sounds better with Cat's Eyes.

– wabash slim

3,140 times better?

Nice! I'm digging the black pickguard! Is there a 5-way switch? How do you like the 3 pickup setup? Is it hard to find a spot to pick without hitting something?

@hilosean- There are 2 toggles. One works the same as a standard- neck/both/ bridge, the other is an on/off for the center pickup.

Very nice, enjoy!

Hey Twom, that is one heck of a nice guitar. I love the super hilotrons. Mine is the two pickup model without the cats eyes.

Yours is really nice looking! And, cool guitars make us play better, yes? I'm so glad you got what you wanted. Nice color too!

Enjoy!

Thanks for the kind words, everybody. I think this one's a keeper!

Mine, with a Tru-Arc...

But that's before I stripped the silver from the back of the pickup surrounds and painted them body color so they disappear. No pics of that with me.

Great guitar. I like it better without any pickguard.

Congrats!

Mine, with a Tru-Arc...

But that's before I stripped the silver from the back of the pickup surrounds and painted them body color so they disappear. No pics of that with me.

Great guitar. I like it better without any pickguard.

Congrats!

– Proteus

I've never played one of these 3 pup Gretsches.

Dumb question. Can these "quack" like a Strat with the center pup combined with the bridge or neck pup?

More or less.

I've had quite a few triple-puppers, and it turns out that to get exactly the Strat quack (or something clearly in that range), it takes a scale length, body and build something like a Strat. A solidbody (of most woods) with 25.5" scale and single-coils will generally get there. Even P90s - on the chambered phenolic body of an early Reverend Slingshot - do it. (Though it sounds rounder and warmer than most Strats.) My hollow aluminum Strat gets there.

On the other hand, the Robelli ES-5-alike, with 3 P90s, gets only a distant hint of that tone. The center-pup positions definitely sound different than 1, 3, and 1-3 positions - and knowing those are the classic Strat positions help me hear a slight Strat character in the middle-pup combos - but it's not nearly as pronounced an effect.

I've had three HiloTrons on my modified T-Rose for years. In that build - kinda an enclosed thin hollowbody with 24.6" scale - the 1-2 and 2-3 positions remind an informed listener of a Strat, but I doubt it would be taken for one in a recording.

Which brings me finally to your actual question about this guitar. More or less, kinda. Even with the centerblock, I wouldn't say it sounds like a Strat. It doesn't have the attack. To me the SuperHiLoTrons themselves sound like a cross between maybe a P90 and a mini-humbucker - more girth than a Strat. And I think the rest of the difference comes down to the scale length. The 24.6 just doesn't have the snap of a Strat's 25.5. Again, the middlepup tones remind you of a Strat if you're expecting Strat. But you probably wouldn't use it as a Strat in a recording.

It really sounds more like a 24.6" scale centerblock Gretsch with mini-humbuckers.

Twommmmm!

Nice acquisition... Always wanted one of these, but never picked one up. Now they are a little harder to find.

Thanks, Rob. The Rosa Red versions are definitely harder to find. When this one came available (case included) at a good price, I jumped on it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation