Electromatics

NGD and NAD! 5622T in Georgia Green with Vox Mini Beatle Union Jack

Thanks Proteus. I'm looking forward to sitting down with that model, which may be more difficult than I first considered. Because, when I stopped by GC this morning, there was nobody in the store. No customers and more surprising, no sales people. I had the place all to myself. And, naturally, the Gretsch was hanging too high on the wall for me to reach. I waited for 10 minutes, hoping to get some assistance, but none came. And even worse, I already own any guitar that they might have that would have been worth stealing.
So, that's my Monday so far.

I would have plugged something into something and made a horrible din. If no one came, time to look around in the offices and backroom and see if something foul had been afoot.

PlayerOne, I've had a 5622 since it came out, and heartily recommend those pickups. I don't get on well with Blacktops on most guitars (though I love other FilterTrons), but the SuperHiloTrons are completely unrelated to the Blacktops.

They're also not intimately related to original 60s HiLoTrons, which are the bright, underwound single-coils of the Gretsch world. (Think "House of the Rising Sun.") Very distinctive, very cool, and more widely usable than haters think - but ... very bright, very low output.

SuperHiLoTrons, as you say, are dual-coil. To me they sound like a bright mini-humbucker...which is, I guess, kinda what they are. Interesting alternative to FilterTrons.

My 5622 is an earlier incarnation, with 3 pickups and catesye soundholes - odd that Gretsch would re-use a model number for such a different guitar. In any case, the SuperHiLos are ideal in the triple-pup instrument. Kind of a Gretsch Strat.

– Proteus

Interesting to discover that Gretsch reused the same model number for the two completely different configurations. I had seen the 3 pickup cat eye Gretsch but didn’t realize it was the same model number as the two pickup, f-hole style double cut. I’m guessing the main thing in common is the spruce centerblock?

beatlebacker (and aren't we all), I did not mean to hijack your thread with my discussion of the 3 pickup version of the G5622T, which I eventually bought. I just wanted to appologize for that. And I hope you are enjoying your 5622 as much as I am.

I’m guessing the main thing in common is the spruce centerblock?

Well, other stuff. Doublecut, 16" body, SuperHilo pickups, neoclassic fret markers. It all looks much the same except for the pickup count and the soundholes.

beatlebacker (and aren't we all), I did not mean to hijack your thread with my discussion of the 3 pickup version of the G5622T, which I eventually bought. I just wanted to appologize for that. And I hope you are enjoying your 5622 as much as I am.

– PlayerOne

No worries about the thread diverting a bit, I’ve learned a few more details about these centerblock models so it’s all good.

I’m guessing the main thing in common is the spruce centerblock?

Well, other stuff. Doublecut, 16" body, SuperHilo pickups, neoclassic fret markers. It all looks much the same except for the pickup count and the soundholes.

– Proteus

Thanks, Proteus. I looked on eBay and found a few pictures of the cat eye three pickup version in red and also in Georgia green, like mine. Very unique looking compared to the current version. I think I prefer the more traditional look of the two pickup version with f holes as it looks similar to my two Country Gents but I’m certain the 3 pickup model has more sonic versatility. It looks like the 3 PU version also has a mud switch.

That "mud" switch is actually an on/off switch for the middle pickup. I wish my Strats were wired like that.

That "mud" switch is actually an on/off switch for the middle pickup. I wish my Strats were wired like that.

– PlayerOne

Uhm...I think the wiring can be improved quite a bit. The way it is now you don't get the middle pu alone (which is underrated on most of the 3-pu guitars, particularly strats). And even more important: in 2-pu-position (n+m, m+b, n+b) the signals must pass 3 vol pots which makes it quite dull. Removing the individual pu vol pots (disconnecting them) leaves just one in the circuit in any position. Brighter and punchier sound. Plus the mid pu alone if you change the mid on/off switch for a second toggle.

It's actually pretty easy to get the middle pickup on it's own. What I do is put the 3 position switch in the "up" position (neck pickup only). Then flip the other switch "on" to activate the middle pickup. Then dial the neck pickup volume down untill all you have active is the middle pickup. A little frosting on the cake is that as you lower the neck pickup volume, you get an assortment of "quack" tones, similar to a Strat, and very unseful in their own right.

Register Sign in to join the conversation