Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1966 Tennessean for $1200?

Damn good score.. .tweak it up... they sound great.

It's in Spain. Aside from shipping costs, I'd be skeptical paying $1200 for a guitar I couldn't play first. It might be a great deal, who knows?

I had a very similar looking Tenny. Great guitar.

It's in Spain. Aside from shipping costs, I'd be skeptical paying $1200 for a guitar I couldn't play first. It might be a great deal, who knows?

– wabash slim

I am VERY aware it's Spain

Definitely gives me pause otoh shipping costs are $65 ?!?!?!?!?!? And Reverb (and) PayPal offer good buyer protection

Otoh, 'if it's too good to be true' .... On the other hand I just picked up a MINT 5420 with case and strap for $350... So sometimes there are absurdly good deals out there!

Man, this is tweaking me...

Looks like a deal to me. Buyers market - I bet it's a keeper. Congrats!

Looks like a deal to me. Buyers market - I bet it's a keeper. Congrats!

– dilver

My offer was accepted

Sweet!

Reviewing buyer protection etc

I've had great experience so far

Otoh, reviews are saying PayPal buyer protection is a joke!

Congrats! Of course we expect a full report once it arrives! Even if you have to pay a few hundred for shipping it's worth it for that price.

That appears to be in great condition! HiLotrons on that body will sound amazing. The only thing that appears to be modded is the bridge but I would keep it.

Edit: I didn't notice the binding issues when I looked at smaller pictures. It still looks good.

That appears to be in great condition! HiLotrons on that body will sound amazing. The only thing that appears to be modded is the bridge but I would keep it.

Edit: I didn't notice the binding issues when I looked at smaller pictures. It still looks good.

– BuddyHollywood

I don't want to piss on anyone's parade but it looks to have some significant binding issues. If you look closely at the waist on the bass side it appears to be missing in several places and may be an indication of rot. It's also missing a good chunk on the treble side of the neck.

Yeah, that's serious rot, but at that price it's a deal. If the guitar really sings, paying the extra $ for future work will be worthwhile. I wonder how the stud mounted bridge affects the tone. I'd be super cautious about buying from overseas; I've only bought stuff from Canada -- which has always been a good experience.

Binding concerns

– dmanlow

Thank you . Exactly the kind of info that helps

Yeah, that's serious rot, but at that price it's a deal. If the guitar really sings, paying the extra $ for future work will be worthwhile. I wonder how the stud mounted bridge affects the tone. I'd be super cautious about buying from overseas; I've only bought stuff from Canada -- which has always been a good experience.

– lx

I'm a little tweaked on the Spain 'thang.'

Soviet Canuckistan wouldn't bother me a bit.

The seller has NO Reverb ratings either.

I just wish Reverb had better reviews as to buyer protection

THAT is the main thing giving me pause.

So far I've had grey experiences as buyer and seller on Reverb

I'd pass on this one. Sure it's $1200 but if you factor in the shipping, the binding issues, the bridge, and whatever else it could have wrong with it, it's not a gamble I'd be willing to take. Especially seeing this is never going to be a pristine vintage example of a highly desirable guitar. That being said, if you can do the work yourself and you're looking for a vintage player it might be the ticket. Keep us updated.

I have nothing but good experience as well. I had a seller try to turn things south on me and they stepped up big time and I got my guitar as promised at the price I'd agreed to and paid. Have you had any correspondence with the seller yet?

I have nothing but good experience as well. I had a seller try to turn things south on me and they stepped up big time and I got my guitar as promised at the price I'd agreed to and paid. Have you had any correspondence with the seller yet?

– Windsordave

Yes I asked her to clarify the comment about the greys

And I just requested pic's of the binding

She just joined today and I haven't heard back about the frets

If she is responsive I will follow through but I just want a response and some close ups

Binding rot on a 66 is not a deal killer but I want to know what I got

I don't see any discoloration on the wood, so that's good

Oh, I forgot. I have a friend in Spain

I need to send him a message and see if he's nearby!

Waaaaaaaaaaaay too many red flags. I contacted Reverb management and they are taking care of it

I've bought and sold several guitars there w/o a hitch but my Spidey-sense was SCREAMING - GET OUT!!!

'Hello! How are you? Condition of this guitar is excellent ! All items are original! When my husband was alive, he bought this guitar much more than I sell it now! Now my financial situation is very bad! I spent money for professional photographer, that he took a photos of my husband's things that I'm selling now. Because I need to pay for the mortgage and I need the money urgently. I do not have own camera, and I cant made photos of guitar. I have offer to this guitar cheaper. If you do not buy this guitar, I'm selling it cheaply to another person.'

My friend in Spain is 8 hrs drive or I would have had him check it out!

Register Sign in to join the conversation