Electromatics

NGD 5120 with nice mods

New guy here.....After much lurking here and at the other Gretsch forum, I concluded that my hollow body should be a 5120, but that it would need an immediate pickup upgrade. Then last night, whilst drinking a bit of Woodford Reserve, playing my G&L ASAT Jr. and surfing the net, I found, and bought. a fine 5120 (orange) with TV Jones Classics, Sperzels and a hard case. Now all I need to upgrade is the bridge! Yeah, there a question here....

I was planning on upgrading Gretschbuckers to GFS Memphis Retrotrons, so figured I did much better with the TV Jones. But last night I went and listened to their samples. Frankly, they didn't sound that great. In fact, in their comparison between those and the Gretschbuckers, I could hardly hear a difference. Does TV Jones just have dull sound samples on his site? (there's the question, I suppose). Or should I go back and listen this morning, devoid of the influence of brown likker and 3 hours of band practice? (and there's another).

Uhhhh....never mind. I just went and listened again. Yeah, I hear the difference clearly this morning, though someone at TV Jones does need to understand the impact that even small differences in volume can have on perception of tone. The TV Jones pups are actually recorded at a slightly lower level in that comparison. But it you really listen, the difference in clarity is marked. Thanks.

Oh, and I need twang. I can always dial in grit.

p

Ya, those aren't the best demo clips to judge TV's pickups by. I believe I heard he has some new clips in the works. You did just fine with that purchase. Welcome!

Welcome to The Gretsch Pages, Phelonious Ponk , and congrats on the 5120. I had one and they are great guitars.

A lot of the guys and gals here are big fans of TVJ pickups, but since I'm not very keen on humbuckers as a whole, I am not in the TJV camp even though the quality of his pickups is top notch, and TV is a very nice guy.

If you are looking for more sparkly cleans like a single coil, you need to try the new Black Top Filter'Trons that Gretsch is using in their new line of Electromatics. They are sensational. I have them on my new 5422 and just love them.

Another route to go if you prefer the traditional Filter'Tron look is to try and find a set of the pre-Fender Filter'Trons with ceramic magnets. They too are much cleaner and more sparkly than their Alnico magnet counterparts. I have a set of them on a Les Paul clone that I built and they sound terrific. All of my other guitars have single coil pickups because I love twang and if that is the sound you are going for, I heartily recommend ceramic magnet Filter'Trons.

The only humbuckers I've ever owned were in the neck postion in Teles. But I figured it was time for a humbucking guitars. I'm ready for some warmth, but I want sparkle on top. Hopefully this will get that.

P

Welcome to the forum - lots of info here and you'll spend countless hours reading up on Gretsch's if you're interested. If you like tele's, I think you'll be very pleased with TV Jones Classics. Listening to sound clips on a computer isn't going to give you a true sense of what these pickups sound like or how they respond to your picking dynamics.

Welcome to the forum - lots of info here and you'll spend countless hours reading up on Gretsch's if you're interested. If you like tele's, I think you'll be very pleased with TV Jones Classics. Listening to sound clips on a computer isn't going to give you a true sense of what these pickups sound like or how they respond to your picking dynamics.

– dilver

– dilver

My computer feeds a good headphone amp and really good headphones, but I get your meaning. I searched around youtube to get a feel for how they sound. Heard a lot of bad playing and worse recording. Ironically, the best sample I found was a pair of TV Classics installed in a Tele. They sounded awesome in that platform.

p

New guy here.....After much lurking here and at the other Gretsch forum, I concluded that my hollow body should be a 5120, but that it would need an immediate pickup upgrade. Then last night, whilst drinking a bit of Woodford Reserve, playing my G&L ASAT Jr. and surfing the net, I found, and bought. a fine 5120 (orange) with TV Jones Classics, Sperzels and a hard case. Now all I need to upgrade is the bridge! Yeah, there a question here....

I was planning on upgrading Gretschbuckers to GFS Memphis Retrotrons, so figured I did much better with the TV Jones. But last night I went and listened to their samples. Frankly, they didn't sound that great. In fact, in their comparison between those and the Gretschbuckers, I could hardly hear a difference. Does TV Jones just have dull sound samples on his site? (there's the question, I suppose). Or should I go back and listen this morning, devoid of the influence of brown likker and 3 hours of band practice? (and there's another).

– tim farney

– Phelonious Ponk

hello and welcome,

I don't like the TV jones sound but if you want to have a sound like Brian Setzer you must put this kind of stuff on your 5120. I'm a dynasonic man.

Plus 1 for Dynas. Like a Telecaster with roid rage!

I'm glad there in there as I'm in the mood for some big, broad humbucker with a twang on top, but if I don't care for them, I expect they'll be easy to sell, and there are plenty of other things out there to try. One of the main attractions of the 5120 platform was the standard humbucker size.

P

You'll like the classics, especially if you're already outfitted with some single coil guitars. I went from playing a Jazzmaster and Tele mostly and Mustang before that and the Filtertron style humbucker was a refreshing addition.

I come from the same guitar point of view as David Burch. After Fender single coils, The TVJC's are a great change. Still very twangy to me- but humbucking. TV's sound samples gave me a good picture.

I have a 5122 (double cut) with TV Jones classics and love em.

I think you'll get exactly the tone you're hoping for, but as you point out, there's a healthy aftermarket for hm if you don't.

My 5122 was the ceramic Filtertrons in it, plus a TVJ harness, and a 8-way tone knob. Talk about tone for days!

May get it out tomorrow. The neck pup isn't working, and our Setzer said he'd take a look at it for me. Will try to get it taken care of February.

I bought a 5120 with Gretsch-Buckers and changed them to TV Jones. The difference is huge. You'll be happy.

Well, it's here. It's pretty much flawless. As new except for missing the pickguard (a new clear one is on its way). The pickup rings are cream, Gibson-style, and show just the tiniest sliver of hole in a couple of places. I may be able to fixe it, may need new rings.

The sound of the pickups is nothing short of amazing. Clean tones deliver chime and shimmer on top with this deep, punchy foundation. Crunch just bites like a junkyard dog. I don't need any more distortion than that.

The thing that's going to take some getting used to is the body and the neck geometry. The bridge sits way up high, putting the heel of my hand in a place that seems to rub all the sharp places on the tune-a-matic bridge. And the bridge is pinned, which is probably a good thing for the way I play, but I'm not sure how a Compton or Tru-Arc would work, given that they would leave no way to adjust intonation at all.

I'll find a way around it, a different position for palm muting, and it'll be worth it for the tone the thing delivers. Well, either that or I'll get some of these pickups in a Tele. :D

In any case, I understand the attraction. I understand it in spades. This is a humbucker sound that kicks PAF butt.

P

Register Sign in to join the conversation