Electromatics

new pro jet

its been a while since i've been on here been working my arss off lately, but that hard work has paid off and now i get to buy a new guitar. i was looking at the new electromatic pro jet but i thought i would see what the gretsch community thinks about them first before i spend a bunch of money on the guitar and then more on mods. ( you would think someone from gretsch would find there way over here to this site and see what we are doing to our guitars and just give us some electros with no mods needed but what ever)

i want to get the new pro jet but i dont want that nasty stop tail piece. i would rather have a bigsby or the G tali piece that was on the older pro jet. anyone know if the B7 matches up to the existing crapy bigsby that comes on it ? or should i just buy it and fill the holes in and get the G tail piece?

and i want to put the p-rails or maybe tv jones. anyone know what the pick up rounting size is in the new jets?

The new Pro-Jets are available with Bigsbys, in either single or double cut, and the blacktop Filtertrons they come with are pretty great sounding pickups. You might not even need to change them. I've only had my hands on one for about 5 minutes, but I was impressed. Check out the link:

New Pro Jets

I should chime in, as I haven't seen much on this post. I completely ignored the new Pro Jets as I was never blown away by the last crop. Joe C. posted a video of a Texas band (Octanes, I believe) the other day and the singer/guitarist was playing a gold top PJ. It sounded really great and in that moment I was all fired up to find one.

I stopped the other day at a local shop who had a whole pile of them. I played a gold top through a Vox AC15VT (a hybrid amp). Anyway, it was really excellent. As others have said, I wouldn't change a thing (other than the lame mother of pearl pick guard). The pickups sound absolutely great and the new chambering is very noticeable in the weight of the guitar. I have been pondering trying to get a Duo Jet in trade for my 6120 but honestly for $600 the Pro Jet is as close as I really need to get. The tone was very clear and round for cleans, which is what I normally go for. With some Vox-y gain it's all AC/DC. Totally killer guitar. I want one in black.....

Mikey, I totally agree with you on the Pro Jet. I have a 5238 gold sparkle. Had mine since December. It is my guitar I go to the most. Stays in tune and I have put 8's on it. Had a tone I like. Gretsch enough for me. LP sounding enough also when I need it to be too. I did remove the plastic jack plate and replaced it with a steel plate. I kinda like the pickguard so much I ordered a pearloid truss rod cover to match. That's all the mods I am doing to my Pro Jet.

Check out Grease Grooves they have a large collection of pickguard and covers.

I confess I wasn't much of a fan of the old Pro Jets. But the new ones are entirely a different animal. The pickups sound great.

Have had mine, G5448T (Gold Top Double Jet) for about three weeks. The only thing I felt compelled to mod on it was the Bridge. The stock TOM is okay. But, the Compton made a great sounding guitar sound stellar. I'll likely swap out the pickguard at some point as well.

The Blacktop pups are extremely great sounding. Tonal range from Classic Rock through able to get a nice Rockabilly twang, with blues, jazz and many others along the way. Extremely clear, articulate and expressive.

Chambering makes it nice and light (which I must have). It is slowly taking over from my Vette as my go-to guitar.

Pic is pre-compton.

The Chambering

Dirty Boy,

While I might be able to understand your desire to change to a B7 for aesthetic reasons, the B50 they use on these guitars is far from crappy! There is little if any difference in the action of the B50 viz-a-viz the B5 or for that matter the B70 as opposed to the B7. Some even have voiced their preference for the licensed models.

The criticism of the B50 (or B5) on these guitars usually has more to do with the roller that is used to get downward tension and the B7 has that as well. I have played a projet with a B50 and did not find it much if any different than the B6s and 7s on my Bigsby-equipped guitars.

As I said, there may be reasons that you want to change from the B50 but quality should not be one of them.

Don

The new Pro Jets are great! I bought a black one about two weeks ago and the pick guard is my only minor quibble. I have two vintage Gretches and a 2005 6120, and the EM Pro Jet is a great value.

well i dont like the bigsby that it comes with. i like the classic gretsch look. its one of the reasons why i love gretsch. there are so many LP style guitars out there and they all pretty much look the same. if i could fit a reg bigsby on there without mod that would be awesome. thats why i was wondering if the screw holds would match up. and as far as the p/u's go. i will prob get more than one. but i really want a guitar with the p-rails and i think the pro jet might be a good guitar for that. and why i was wondering if they are reg sized p/u sizes. thank you everyone for your input. love the gretsch pages.

I've been thinking about picking up one of these with the Bigsby - just haven't decided between the gold or black (although leaning towards the gold).

Speaking of Electromatics modded with P-Rails, here's my 5122 (special run Orange...well, reddish orange :P ). The pickups are Seymour Duncan SHPR-1s P-Rails. 3 pickups in one - Humbuckers/P90s/P-Rails - push/pull pots configuration. Very versatile guitar. Highly recommend these pickups!

Regarding the Black Top pickups on these: I wonder if you could mod standard Gretsch pickup surrounds (drill 2 adjusting screws), and change out the chrome surrounds on these guitars? It'd look much better, IMO - just not digging the looks of the factory mounts. Too bad that Gretsch doesn't sell 'em that way.

I have the black single cut with Bigsby.

The pickups are great, but the bridge is uselsss, it rattles terribly. I took it out, put a Comton in - huge improvement. I binned the old bridge, the components were all loose, it was competly uselss.

Next job, swap all the pots. They don't work well, they're either on, or off. Not much happening in the middle.

The nut slot is cut for 9's, and I play 11's. So, binding is a problem. I'm removing the stock nut, and putting a Fender LSR roller nut in there. That'll kill the binding/tuning issues, and improve the tone further.

I might swap out the tuners for quality Klusions, but I'm in no great hurry. I'll see how the nut helps with tuning stability first.

Gretsch got close on this one, they almost made a perfect electromatic jet (The Corvette is the best Electromatic, I've never really needed to tamper with a Corvette). The Blacktop Filtertrons are lovely, truly. The finish is beautiful, the look and feel of the thing is rather wonderful, and it chimes - plugged in, and acoustically. It has more quality to the finish, and playability than any Les Paul I've ever held.

But, the nasty cheap pots and awful bridge are a severe dissapointment. It's more work than I like to do to a new guitar. But, it'll be worth it in the end.

And on a good, final note - it looks, and feels great in the hands, and has a great feeling of quality to it. It's a shame they used some nasty cheap compnents in there.

I would have gladly have £50 paid more at retail, and not have to do this work.

I paid £390 (Bigsby model). It's cheap for what it is. Despite the grumble, I like it a lot (or will do when I've finished working on it).

Marlin

Mikey, I totally agree with you on the Pro Jet. I have a 5238 gold sparkle. Had mine since December. It is my guitar I go to the most. Stays in tune and I have put 8's on it. Had a tone I like. Gretsch enough for me. LP sounding enough also when I need it to be too. I did remove the plastic jack plate and replaced it with a steel plate. I kinda like the pickguard so much I ordered a pearloid truss rod cover to match. That's all the mods I am doing to my Pro Jet.

– chet mccormick

– cmguitar

Do you have a website link for Grease Grooves? I can't find one.

Cheers

Marlin

I finally got the nut fixed on my 5435T. Tuning is quite stable. Any remaining tuning issues stem from using 10's with a Bigsby. If I press it down it returns a little flat. If I pull it up it returns quite sharp. I think that's because of the light strings. So I wiggle up and down and it stays in tune, now that the slots are wider and pointed towards the tuners' posts.

I may be in a crowd of one when I say I have no issues with the stock bridge. The saddles sit firmly on the bridge. The bridge is firmly attached to the guitar. What's wrong? One odd thing is that the saddles for the wound strings rock when pressing the Bigsby arm down. I don't think it causes any problems. They always return to their upright position, firmly seated against the bridge.

All that remains is a weird electronic issue I initially blamed on the pots. If I have both pickups selected, and I turn down the neck pu volume, it cuts out abruptly. I stupidly had the pot replaced. It still does it. If I just select the neck pu, the pot works progressively, and the stock pot probably did too. So it's the circuit. Maybe someday I'll have it looked at.

I may be in a crowd of one when I say I have no issues with the stock bridge. The saddles sit firmly on the bridge. The bridge is firmly attached to the guitar. What's wrong?>

I don't have any problems with the stock bridge either. It is quite solid and does not rattle at all.

Same for my 5435. Everything's perfect but the pots aren't top notch.

i want to shake someone at gretsch for putting a stop tail piece on that guitar. :|

i want to shake someone at gretsch for putting a stop tail piece on that guitar. :|

I may be in a crowd of one when I say I have no issues with the stock bridge. The saddles sit firmly on the bridge. The bridge is firmly attached to the guitar. What's wrong?>

I don't have any problems with the stock bridge either. It is quite solid and does not rattle at all.

– Beatlebacker

– Beatlebacker

I didn't have a problem with my stock bridge either. That said, it sounds much better with the Compton bridge.

– Alain Frangi

– Alain Frangi

No they aren't. But mine work fine and have no issues. Since the Jet is a keeper, I'll replace them at some point, but I am in no real hurry.

Actually the ONLY thing I really didn't like that was stock, is the slightly cheap looking pearloid pickguard.

– Alain Frangi

No they aren't. But mine work fine and have no issues. Since the Jet is a keeper, I'll replace them at some point, but I am in no real hurry.

Actually the ONLY thing I really didn't like that was stock, is the slightly cheap looking pearloid pickguard.

– Tim Mallon

– Alain Frangi

– CyberTim

I agree. I'm going to do something about the pick guard soon. Maybe I'll contact Setzer to do something cool.

Talked to Setzer over the weekend and now have a new pick guard on order.

i've got a 2008 pro jet with bigsby and haven't changed a thing on it (not counting strings of course, but i don't even change those as much as i should).

it's by no means perfect or able to master certain sounds, but if i want a sound that guitar can't get, i go to another guitar.

i don't have much experience with the newest ones...from what i understand they're a little different but every bit as much of a workhorse.

O.K. Here we go!! Just ordered a new Black 5435 and a B7, Hope it's gonna be a wise decision. It's a lefty, maybe not too many out there so I'm really anxious.

I just got my Black 5435 from Guitar Center shipped to my house and it is fantastic! I ordered a new silver pickguard to replace the current one. With the stop tailpiece I am pondering a few Bigsby options. I want a B3 but then I would have to fill the holes left by the stop tailpiece. But as far as playability and sound, this is a really huge upgrade from the first Pro Jets in my opinion. And the metal surrounds are like the Baldwin era of the 70's so they are kind of growing on me. Overall, I think this is a steal at under $600. Kevin, let me know how the B7 works for you. I may go that route if it can cover the holes left n the body. Rock on!

Register Sign in to join the conversation