Electromatics

new here — thoughts on the Tim Armstrong g5191?

I'm looking to buy my first electric. Almost had a 5191 but the deal went south. Was it a sign? ... So I figured this was a good place to get answers. Is it an overpriced mediocre guitar? Is it an over performing mid-range guitar?

Thanks in advance for the feedback -- A.L.

GDP member Suprdave loves his. I'm sure he will chime in.

What matters is what you feel about it. Does it sing to you? Do you feel the "magic"? They're great guitars, so, if you like it, get it.

right on -- I was cruising the site and saw his picture. I shot him a message. thanks!

What matters is what you feel about it. Does it sing to you? Do you feel the "magic"? They're great guitars, so, if you like it, get it.

– wabash slim

Does it sing to you? Do you feel the "magic"? They're great guitars, so, if you like it, get it. ....you betcha!

I'm more on the side of it's "an over performing mid-range guitar".

I'm more on the side of it's "an over performing mid-range guitar".

– BuddyHollywood

I concur. Its a cool looking guitar,but its an Electromatic with Filtertrons and with a really cool black on gold motif.

on the upside they hold their Value and you rarely see a used one on the Market so that says something for the people that own one,they must love them.

Here’s a vid a made of mine a while ago

Sorry, late to the party. I have been away for a bit.

I do love mine. I replied to your message. I'll say what I said there....

"I love my G5191BK. It's only second to my White Falcon, as a favorite. the playability is great and if you get one that's newer then three years old, the bridge base will be lightly pinned, which is good, and the pickups will have already been raised up high. When they first came out, like mine, this was an issue. Joe C. made adjustments on mine to bring it up to today's standards. Admittedly, at first, I wasn't feeling it with this guitar but once he made the adjustments, she came alive. I love the jangle that comes from the BT Filtertrons and the look and feel of the guitar, overall. I'm six foot tall and 200 lbs. and the guitar feels right in my hands so as far as what the size will feel like on you is subjective. You may want to find one in a music store and play it. The feel of the neck will be something you'll want to compare, as well.

I hope all of that was helpful and best of luck in your quest for your first Gretsch. They are amazing guitars."

Register Sign in to join the conversation