Electromatics

New Gretsch 5422T owner - pots

Hiya good Gretsch folk,

After 40 years playing, and for my 50th birthday, I treated myself to a Gretsch 5422T in black... I have a variety of guitars from Gibson, Fender, Godin, Ibanez etc... but aside from playing a few vintage Gretsch guitars back when I worked in the trade, I had never owned one myself.

All I can say is wow, I wish I had bought one years ago!

Fit and finish are as good as anything, and it only needed a minor adjustment to the bridge height - if anything it is now a bit lower action-wise than I like, so might move it up a little when I restring it. The tuning is rock solid, the Bigsby is lovely for that shimmery effect, and the sound is fantastic through my Blues Stage, yet to run it through any valve amps as they are in storage during the lockdown.

I can get a great blues tone from it, it does rock'n'roll really well, and kick in the drive and it really rocks. A tweak to the amp and it doesn't do a bad impression of a jazz box too :)

The only flaw I can see is the pots, both the tone and the three volume pots... they seem to have little to no effect from 0-7, then 8-10 is all or nothing. Is this typical of Gretsch wiring? My immediate thoughts are to get in some CTS pots and swap them out, bit of a pain on a hollow body, but as someone who likes to back off the volume to clean the sound up, it is going to be somewhat necessary. (I'll admit I usually either have the tone all the way up or all the way off, so that isn't such a drag).

I feel no need to change the pickups, these blacktops have a lovely sound, really acousticy on the bass strings, and great definition.

So all in all I am blown away with this guitar, but if anyone has any thoughts on the volume/tone pots or experience of what works best, it would be great to hear.

Stay safe all,

Johnny

Welcome to our addiction.

I find this to be quite common among my Gretsch guitars and I've learned to work with it. From what I remember seeing here is that they use Audio taper pots instead of linear taper pots, or the other way around, I can't recall.

The sweet spot is @ 8.5-9 for their pots. You can change out the pots or learn to work around them as I have.

This question actually came up recently in another thread.

Congratulations! I changed out the pots in my Duo Jet, man I was nervous doing that on an expensive guitar, to 1 meg CTS pots and they are great. I would be happy to do it for you. All you have to do is ship your guitar to me and don't expect it back for about 3 months!

Hello Jonny, welcome to the GDP (Gretsch Discussion Pages), and congratulations on your new guitar! I have a 2018 G5422TG that I bought new, and I absolutely love it too. However, I think that they can be made to be even better. I just bought a pair of Gold TV Jones Classic pickups and a TV Jones Tone Pot Wiring Harness w/treble bleed circuit. I have everything on hand, including the installation tubing kit, but I haven't installed them yet.

The TV Jones Classic pickups, give a more vintage Gretsch sound (1950's and 60's), and the TV Jones Tone Pot Wiring Harness has American made pots and switch. The pickups are simply a matter of personal preference, but the wiring harness is a substantial performance upgrade over the Asian pots that come in the guitar. A TV Jones wiring harness will only set you back $120 USD, an extra $10 for the Treble Bleed Circuit on the master volume, and an extra $5 for the switch tip (your old has a different threading than the new switch has). So to do it right it costs $135. It will make your tone and volumes more usable. You will also need to ream the pot and switch holes in the guitar just a tidge larger to accommodate the American hardware.

Once again, welcome to the forum, IMO, it's the best guitar forum around. We discuss all sorts of things, even guitars! Your G5422T is an amazing instrument as is, but guitars can always be tweeked to be better.

Congratulations! I changed out the pots in my Duo Jet, man I was nervous doing that on an expensive guitar, to 1 meg CTS pots and they are great. I would be happy to do it for you. All you have to do is ship your guitar to me and don't expect it back for about 3 months!

– BuddyHollywood

hahaha hmmmm tempting offer.... but I wouldn't want to put you out

Welcome to our addiction.

I find this to be quite common among my Gretsch guitars and I've learned to work with it. From what I remember seeing here is that they use Audio taper pots instead of linear taper pots, or the other way around, I can't recall.

The sweet spot is @ 8.5-9 for their pots. You can change out the pots or learn to work around them as I have.

This question actually came up recently in another thread.

– Suprdave

Yep, I have found a small area to work with, maybe 7 to 10, but I am just used to rolling it back without thinking too hard about it, just about half way on a Gibson.

I can definitely see how this can become an addiction, just a lovely tone and so "un put downable"

Hello Jonny, welcome to the GDP (Gretsch Discussion Pages), and congratulations on your new guitar! I have a 2018 G5422TG that I bought new, and I absolutely love it too. However, I think that they can be made to be even better. I just bought a pair of Gold TV Jones Classic pickups and a TV Jones Tone Pot Wiring Harness w/treble bleed circuit. I have everything on hand, including the installation tubing kit, but I haven't installed them yet.

The TV Jones Classic pickups, give a more vintage Gretsch sound (1950's and 60's), and the TV Jones Tone Pot Wiring Harness has American made pots and switch. The pickups are simply a matter of personal preference, but the wiring harness is a substantial performance upgrade over the Asian pots that come in the guitar. A TV Jones wiring harness will only set you back $120 USD, an extra $10 for the Treble Bleed Circuit on the master volume, and an extra $5 for the switch tip (your old has a different threading than the new switch has). So to do it right it costs $135. It will make your tone and volumes more usable. You will also need to ream the pot and switch holes in the guitar just a tidge larger to accommodate the American hardware.

Once again, welcome to the forum, IMO, it's the best guitar forum around. We discuss all sorts of things, even guitars! Your G5422T is an amazing instrument as is, but guitars can always be tweeked to be better.

– Wade H

Thank you kindly for the welcome.

I'd never say never to swapping out pickups, but I think the pots are going to be changed for sure. What value pots doe the TV Jones harness come with? 500k?

Hi Jonny, TV Jones Wiring Harnesses utilize Switchcraft jacks/switches, CTS 500k pots and Orange Drop capacitors.

If you are going to change the pots, do yourself a favor and pick up the ' wiring harness installation tubing kit' ($8) Link It consists of 5 precut lengths of vinyl tubing and a dowl rod (for securing the input jack).

The tubes are slipped over the pot and switch shafts (after removing the knobs, and serve as 'fishing lines' to pull the new components back through the guitar and up into the appropriate holes. There are several very good YouTube videos on the procedure, it's way easier than trying to get everything in place using your fingers.

Hi Jonny, TV Jones Wiring Harnesses utilize Switchcraft jacks/switches, CTS 500k pots and Orange Drop capacitors.

If you are going to change the pots, do yourself a favor and pick up the ' wiring harness installation tubing kit' ($8) Link It consists of 5 precut lengths of vinyl tubing and a dowl rod (for securing the input jack).

The tubes are slipped over the pot and switch shafts (after removing the knobs, and serve as 'fishing lines' to pull the new components back through the guitar and up into the appropriate holes. There are several very good YouTube videos on the procedure, it's way easier than trying to get everything in place using your fingers.

– Wade H

Thanks for that Wade, well worth knowing.

I see this being a Spring time project, although if lockdown carries on then it might happen sooner... idle hands

If it has a treble bleed on the MV, clip that out and see if that changes the bahaviour of the pots.

– Wade H

I did this exact mod to my 5422TG: the TV Jones Classics pre-wired into the wiring harness, pots, treble bleed, tubing, etc. So all I had to do was install it. They're great pickups.

I still find the volume pots roll off way too quickly. Very touchy from 10 to 8, then drops off dramatically. I even discussed this with them beforehand because I wanted to avoid that (linear taper vs audio taper pots?), but ended up having this problem anyway. I guess I'll just have to replace them myself one of these days.

The originals had 1 meg Linear taper pots, which will fix your problem....however, 10 is the normal setting for a passive pot.

The originals had 1 meg Linear taper pots, which will fix your problem....however, 10 is the normal setting for a passive pot.

– Billy Zoom

Thanks Billy. I thought I was getting linear taper, but maybe we miscommunicated on the order.

Register Sign in to join the conversation