Electromatics

My White 5120

Here it is: 2 Dream 90 pickups; rewire with one volume, one tone; GFS locking tuners, modded Gretsch pickup rings, Silver Falcon style knobs, glitter truss rod cover, football jack plate, pinned bridge, rubbed out the "ELECTROMATIC logo, and installed a bone nut. Oh, and I'm crazy: I moved the bridge pickup back about 1/2" to get more twang (glad I did, though).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

wow that is by far the best 5120 Ive ever seen

Man I love those. Sweet with those black p/u's in it.

That is very nice. The black pickup tops add some really nice contrast and that is the first guitar I've seen with the pickguard removed that I like.

This is so cool! I love what you did. Were you able to move the pickup 1/2" within the pickup ring? I'm wondering how you did that. You didn't even mention the black stripe on the side.

That is really sweet. I am loving it. Yes tell us a little bit more about how you moved the Bridge pickup back. Awesome. :P :P :P

Looks real nice Jeff. More importantly, how's she sound? Is the black stripe an adhesive protective deal?

That looks fantastic. Can you post some sound samples?

That's SWEEEET right there! How and what did you use to rub out the Electromatic logo? And is that anti-slip tape on the bottom?

Rubbed out the "Electromatic" on the head stock?

How do you like those gfs locking tuners? Did you have to ream the peg holes?

I don't know much about Dream 90s but that back PU must be so bright it lights up the Northern sky at night! (I'm comparing that to the brightness of my HS Filter)

Looks great!

I've fantasized about a white or walnut 5120 with black dogears. I'd ebonize the board with leather die either way.

Beautiful mods! BTW, are the stock frets jumbo? If it is, another plus for Electros!

Why would you rub out the Electromatic from the headstock veneer? Are you somehow ashamed of owning an Electromatic? I hope not, but that would certainly seem to suggest that you are.

Wow - gorgeous. I like all of the little details - they really transform the look completely.

I've got a Dream 90 in the neck of one of my (non-Gretsch) guitars - they're great pickups. Bet they sound terrific in your 5120.

Why would you rub out the Electromatic from the headstock veneer? Are you somehow ashamed of owning an Electromatic? I hope not, but that would certainly seem to suggest that you are.

– Ric12string

– Ric12string

I humbly disagree. Hellbilly introduced his guitar as his White 5120, after all. And what about folks like Bear, your friend and mine, who had Setzer make him a lovely 6120 horseshoe for his headstock, completely covering the Electromatic logo. But surely you couldn't accuse him of the same? Bear's the proudest 5120 owner I know, and this I think, proves that Hellbilly is another, he just prefers the clean look. Certainly some people would try to dress up a 5120 because they want to fool you, I don't think that's the case here.

Gorgeous guitar Hellbilly, and you are now required, I think, to post audio.:D

P.S. What's with that black strip? :P

Nice looking ax you got there, hellbilly! Good work!

Hey thanks guys! I have a busy day ahead of me, so I'll give some fast answers to your questions (for now). Judd: it sounds fantastic - Dream 90's are my favs because the combine a little Dyna, tele, and P90 into one pickup. I love true P90's, but these are a lot quieter and more importanty, more feedback resistant than P90s (of course you can still coax "good" feedback, too). As far as moving the pickup, I actually had to rout (with a dremel) the back side of the pickup opening to move the pickup, I then made a basswood filler block to fill in the exposed front of the pickup opening, and covered it with a thin white piece of white acoutic guitar pickguard material. It's actually hard to see from ten feet back! As far as rubbing out the logo, I did it cause it just looks cooler! This is a scary proceedure that I'll go into later. I will say, however, that it can be done with no danger of messing up the "Gretsch" logo (it is underneath the clear plastic headstock laminate, whereas the "ELECTROMATIC" logo is silkscreened on top. Whew! Okay, as far as the tuners go, I like them an awful lot, and yes, you have to ream the tuners holes. Be back later, guys!

Oh - the strip on the bottom! I'm a one man band (always sitting down), and I'm playing drums along with the guitar, so I put a strip of non-slipping material on the bout so the guitar will stay put while my legs are moving! Gotta do what ya gotta do!

– Ric12string

– Ric12string

Maybe it's my N.Y. attitude, but dude... You come out with some of the most whack comments I have ever read! This fellow assembles himself a very nice, individualized instrument, with some really COOL mods, and you suggest he must be ashamed 8-o What is up with that?

I posted about suggesting a Rockinbetter 12 string awhile back, and your all about how you couldn't take any " pride " in owning anything but a RIC. S'cuse me! Not every one has the bucks to buy every pro' line model like you do, or wishes too...

I quote an old adage " if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all "!

hellbilly, that is one BADASS lookin' git box! You have to give the how to on the headstock. I couldn't wait to get home and get the step's on that.

I had contacted setzer myself about an overlay, then I saw what you did. Man, that just classes up that headstock to no end... Beautiful!

I would like the headstock model plate on my 5122, like the 6122 that I had. Maybe with a new set of Grover Imperial tuners. My 5120 Jimmy C will stay as is!

If you don't mind a suggestion, the Gretsch B6C trem' would be the icing on the cake. The action is so much nicer as well IMHO:D Great Job!!!

Register Sign in to join the conversation