Electromatics

My modded Electro 5420T

I bought this guitar as a husk months ago. It already had the nicely executed pin-stripping, and the cool painted on "flying-eyeball" on the headstock. I added the P-90s, bar bridge, Falcon knobs, and wide-handle B6. Plays great... well worth the wait!

That is gorgeous! I think I remember that husk up for sale (iirc). Well done!

very pretty. were the only electronic upgrades the pups or did you also buy a harness and pots? I ask because I wanna upgrade the pots in my special jet and possibly the harness to but not sure what to go with. Also maybe even put a b5 on it!

I have been into the idea of buying well built low end guitars and leaving the pick ups but upgrading everything else.

I had my luthier install a harness (CTS), and he recommended 1-meg pots in an effort to keep the P-90s from being too dark. I'm not very good at describing tone, but it is clearly a different animal that my Filtertron arch tops, and my Dyna equipped Jets, which was the objective!

Very cool, the P90s look right on that guitar. What make are they?

The P-90s are mid-level Asian made (I'm guessing). I had them from another project that never materialized. I really wanted to try out the concept of dog-ear P-90 on the Electromatic archtop. The playability of this guitar is surprisingly nice. So I'll live with these pu for awhile and see what I can get from them, but I am also open to the idea of upgrading them if needed.

I like the thoroughgoing silverness of the dress - from tailpiece-sans-black fill through big honkin’ arm through bridge and pups. Very handsome and elegant.

I’m sorry it’s blue, though - you have so many blue guitars. You must be tired of the color!

I like the thoroughgoing silverness of the dress - from tailpiece-sans-black fill through big honkin’ arm through bridge and pups. Very handsome and elegant.

I’m sorry it’s blue, though - you have so many blue guitars. You must be tired of the color!

– Proteus

Thanks Pro... gaining the endorsement of a certified guitar Jedi (CGJ) such as yourself is humbling. In a perfect world however, my aesthetic sensibilities would only be satisfied if all that hardware were finished in a "brushed" metal treatment. I'll leave that detail to my ultimate Custom Shop creation that will someday become a reality. But for now, this is a pretty successful experiment in departing from classic Gretsch tone, while retaining the optics of true uber-cool Gretschiness.

As far as my penchant for blue guitars... they've proven to be a siren that I'm unable to resist. However, I've done my level-best to assemble a formidable group of (older) orange finished guitars to try and counter-balance the spectrum of my full flock. It is a battle of hue that I will probably lose (financially), but it is a nobel effort on my part!

Thanks for everyone's positive feedback!

Cool looking geet Ed!

I remember when the husk was for sale. I love what you did with it. You've turned it into a very gig worthy guitar.

I'm late and that is a killer guitar!

Curiously... all the photos on this thread have disappeared. Here's one of the modded 5420T in question for posterity.

Register Sign in to join the conversation