Electromatics

Just an observation, and a small family pic.

So i finally brought an amp home last night. Mostly my amps live at my music store. Between lack of space at home, and the fact that there is usually someone who doesn't want to hear guitar at 100db around, no point keeping one here.

So this morning I fire up the trusty old Classic 50, and let 'er rip. Started with my blue 5420, went to my first Gretsch, the 5120 with Surf 90s, then the 5124. For a while now I've thought the new 5420 was my favorite hands down, but now that I play them all side by side I realize it's impossible to make that kind of choice. They're like kids, no one is better than another, just different. 11 years and a slew of features differ between these 3, and really, they are all amazing guitars. The 2 older ones need some attention, and new strings, but aside from that, just solid work horses.

So how was your morning? This was after snow blowing. Again. Yay Wisconsin...

I've had a 5120 and I've played 5420s in music stores and I like the neck better on the 5420. I would probably like the pickups best on your 5124.

I've done similar tests when nobody is home. It's a lot of fun to compare guitars and figure out what it is that makes a particular guitar shine. I've sold a few guitars in the past based on these tests after realizing while they were good guitars they were just not producing the sounds I was chasing.

As a result I'm really happy with my current lineup and whenever I think I would like to streamline even more and think I should sell one I usually put it through another test and then realize why I decided to keep it around in the first place.

So i finally brought an amp home last night. Mostly my amps live at my music store. Between lack of space at home, and the fact that there is usually someone who doesn't want to hear guitar at 100db around, no point keeping one here.

So this morning I fire up the trusty old Classic 50, and let 'er rip. Started with my blue 5420, went to my first Gretsch, the 5120 with Surf 90s, then the 5124. For a while now I've thought the new 5420 was my favorite hands down, but now that I play them all side by side I realize it's impossible to make that kind of choice. They're like kids, no one is better than another, just different. 11 years and a slew of features differ between these 3, and really, they are all amazing guitars. The 2 older ones need some attention, and new strings, but aside from that, just solid work horses.

So how was your morning? This was after snow blowing. Again. Yay Wisconsin...

– Ripley1046

Don't tell anybody but I like my younger boy the better...

Pickup wise I think the 5124 has the edge at the moment. I really like the Blacktops through my Kustom Coupe, but throught the Peavey they lack a little something. The 2000s sound good no matter what I run them through. I like the Surf 90s in the orange one, but I'm always tempted to try something different in there. Maybe some Magnatrons, or GFS Mean 90s like I have in my SG.

Pickup wise I think the 5124 has the edge at the moment. I really like the Blacktops through my Kustom Coupe, but throught the Peavey they lack a little something. The 2000s sound good no matter what I run them through. I like the Surf 90s in the orange one, but I'm always tempted to try something different in there. Maybe some Magnatrons, or GFS Mean 90s like I have in my SG.

– Ripley1046

Surf 90s are Dynasonic like, Mean 90s are P90s and Dream 90s are like humbucker size Strat pickups. I would think the Surf 90s would be the best choice for a 5120 although you could Eddie Cochran it with a Mean 90 in the neck although I would probably prefer a Dream 90 there.

Either way I would go with Kent Armstrong humbucker sized P90s!

They are not that much more than the GFS and they are way less than Seymour Duncan Phat Cats. I've tried Mean 90s, Phat Cats and Kent Armstrong humbucker size P90s and the Kent Armstrongs are my favorite.

Yep they are all different from each other.

I heard you guys got snow (on Tuesday). My mom (who lives in Manitowoc - where I grew up) even called me up, to see if I made it home from work OK. We got freezing rain instead (the drive home was fun - NOT!!!). Now it's just cold.

Yeah, we got another 6", stupid lake.

A friend has a 5120 with Dream 90s, and it sounds good, but I like the Surfs better. I have Mean 90s in my Gibby and love them. My Schecter has some HB sized P90s too, (I think they are Schecter brand) that are good, but I like the GFS better. Phat cats are over rated to me, especially for the money. But you've got my curious about the Kent Armstrongs. I've heard a lot about the company, but haven't actually used any of their stuff. Maybe it's time for some market research!

Register Sign in to join the conversation