Electromatics

Help with bigsby

Hi all - I hope you are all keeping well! I’m after some advice please! I’ve purchased a Gretsch G5622T Electromatic Center Block, Orange Stain and would like to fit a Bigsby Gretsch Tremolo to it. My question is: will it fit? The G5622T is much thinner than my other Electromatics so I was wondering if the trem would fit, before I actually purchase the trem unit. I’ve attached a pic of my new guitar & the trem (gold) that is like to affix. Any help would be appreciated! Keep safe & well, Ray - UK

Here’s the trem I’d like to affix to my new Gretsch G5622T Electromatic Center Block. I think the gold trem would look nice with the gold pickguard & pup surrounds! Ray

You could but there are going to be a few issues, Firstly the G5622T comes with a B7 type Bigsby which has the tension bar removing it will leave screw holes in the top. If you are okay with that then you need to take into consideration the string break angle over the bridge, the B6 or the B3 may not have enough downward force to keep the strings in the bridge slots. The string shaft on the B7 is in the same place as the B3 so it may work, I don't think the B6 will.
If you try the B3C and it doesn't work selling it won't be to difficult, they seem to hold their value quite well. Best of luck.

Dear Sir Thank you so much for the info. I never thought about the break angle. How does the ‘thickness of the guitar’ affect the downward pressure? I’ve just read that thin gretsch guitars usually have a bigsby with the tension bar (like a B7) to keep the strings in place. Is it because thicker guitars (such as the Electromatic 5120 or 6120) are more angled, thus raising the strings, therefore creating more tension? My new guitar does seem much ‘flatter’ and therefore I don’t think the string would stay in place! Thank you for raising this point! Regards, Ray

The string break is determined by how shallow the neck is set in the body which affects how high the bridge has to be set. Also, B3 were made for jet size bodies, I don't think the arm would be long enough for a full size body.

A cautionary tale from long ago..... I once had an optioned-up ES-345 with a gold B7.Like every other tension-bar Bigsby I've ever had,it was stiff and unresponsive-- not like the B6's I've had. Thought I'd bypass the tension bar by passing the strings over it. No matter how lightly I picked,the strings jumped out of the saddles as though they had Saint Vitus' Dance and the 345 was simply unplayable until I restrung it under the tension bar. That experience told me that if a guitar has a tension-bar Bigsby, it needs it!

The string break is determined by how shallow the neck is set in the body which affects how high the bridge has to be set. Also, B3 were made for jet size bodies, I don't think the arm would be long enough for a full size body.

– Twom

The B3 is a B7 with the tension bar cut off, the handle postion would be the same. B3 & B7 side by side.

My rule of thumb is that if it has a floating bridge (including those that have been pinned) then you probably don't want or need a tension bar. If the bridge is attached to the body and doesn't have a base then you probably do. There are exceptions and some that can go either way. Most Gretsch center block guitars have attached bridges so they should have the B3 or B6. On thinner bodied ones, you may want to change the hinge plate.

A cautionary tale from long ago..... I once had an optioned-up ES-345 with a gold B7.Like every other tension-bar Bigsby I've ever had,it was stiff and unresponsive-- not like the B6's I've had. Thought I'd bypass the tension bar by passing the strings over it. No matter how lightly I picked,the strings jumped out of the saddles as though they had Saint Vitus' Dance and the 345 was simply unplayable until I restrung it under the tension bar. That experience told me that if a guitar has a tension-bar Bigsby, it needs it!

– DaveH

Wow! Thank you! I’ve bought some gold knobs, strap buttons & toggle tips instead of the gold bigsby! I think I would ruin my new guitar if I tried to change the trem! Thanks for the advice, sir!

Ray

The B3 is a B7 with the tension bar cut off, the handle postion would be the same. B3 & B7 side by side.

– Mr Tubs

Many thanks sir! Ray

I’ve decided to just replace the current chrome knobs, toggle switch & button straps with gold ones! It added an extra $120 to the price but I think I’ll steer clear of changing the trem, in case I mess it up! Many thanks Ray

I’ve decided to just replace the current chrome knobs, toggle switch & button straps with gold ones! It added an extra $120 to the price but I think I’ll steer clear of changing the trem, in case I mess it up! Many thanks Ray

– Ray-Ray

We (or at least I) didn't mean to scare or intimidate you into not installing a gold Bigsby. A B7G or B70G should work perfectly and is not difficult to install if you are the least bit handy, Using string to align it helps a whole lot.

& a Chet Handle. . .

Avoid the B70 or B700. Handles don't interchange with the domestic units. And you'll eventually want a Duane Eddy handle.

Register Sign in to join the conversation