Electromatics

[HELP]: buzz that stops when I touch strings

Hi Everybody, I've a trouble with my Electro G5128 with DeArmond2000 pups.

When I touch the controls (knobs and selectors or bigsby) or the strings the buzzing stops, so it seems to me to be a grounding problem. Perhaps a solder joint has came loose lately?

Does anyone have advice on a good method to efficiently track down the source of this kind of problem? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Alex.

I'd say ground the bigsby but there are others here that know more than I.

Isn't the guitar great...It is one of the only items you can purchase that includes the user as part of the grounding circuit.

You must have constant metal contact to suppress the hum. Everyone here has this problem, certainly with single coil elements. It's normal. Avoid all electrical interference sources like tv's and computers; keeping them away from the guitar helps. For very important recordings, you can wear an anti static computer technician wrist band and connect it to the bigsby. Connecting your amp to a grounded wall outlet also helps. All guitars have such problems.

Same thought here - it's normal. But to (easily) check an internal grounding problem: with the guitar plugged in you can "externally" ground it. Do this by touching the tip of a spare instrument cable to the guitar tailpiece, and the tip at the other end to the input jack of the amp (the grounded part of the jack, the hex nut for instance).

While doing this, don't personally touch the tailpiece, strings, amp jack or anything metal.

I could never resolve this issue on my Yamaha fretless bass, so I screwed one end of a braided copper wire to the bridge, and leave the other end loose to tuck in my pants against my skin when recording with it.

Works a charm. Highly recommended!

(I don't use superglue with it though.)

Mind you, NEVER use any d.i.y. ground wire devices when performing on stage or when you use equipment that is not yours.

If any safety error is made at the place where you perform or if any safety error occurs in the unknown equipment, a d.i.y. ground wire may help to get you killed, because of the very good electrical contact such a wire creates!!!

Register Sign in to join the conversation