Electromatics

Has anyone else noticed…

... something pretty durn odd about the spacemen on the Streamliner Brave New Sound family landing page at gretschguitars.com?

They’re not properly social distancing?

They aren't, it's true. But, arguably, they're suitably sealed in their sealable suits. It's not what I noticed.

??????? I didn't see any spacemen on the Streamliner home page.

??????? I didn't see any spacemen on the Streamliner home page.

– EllenGtrGrl

I had to search on the word Brave and then it came up.

I had to search on the word Brave and then it came up.

– NJBob

I used that search, and came up with something that was right out of a 50s sci-fi movie, ala "Forbidden Planet." Gee, I thought maybe it would be something related to the group "Man or Astroman," since they used to play Gretsches some years back (like maybe they were starting to play Streamliners).

... other than the one two faced dude ???

BINGO. Two-headed spaceman, far right. The aliens are already here.

https://www.gretschguitars....

Also, re: slabs with single-coils...the new Jr Jet Clubs bolt-neckers, with wraptail and just two-countem-TWO knobs - and P90 at the neck - are already one pickup away from that.

I think Gretsch is up against it when it comes to putting singles on the lower-line guitars without giving away the farm, while attracting the demographic they're presumably after. HiloTrons would excite no one with ears developed after 1965, and Dynasonics ought to - it could be argued - saved for the Perfessional Series.

The 2Ks of 15-18 years ago really weren't a bad compromise, but they would definitely sound better on hollowbodies than slabs (plink plink STAB). P90s don't scream "HEY I'M A GRETSCH" - but are arguably the best choice for entry/midline Gretschs.

(A pair of P90s would certainly look waaay better on the new slabs than that ... that ... dumbucky-lookin' double-coil thing they stick on there.)

Although, to argue against myself...more and more players are experiencing guitar through modeling amps with integral effects, and the pedal world is wide open and raining delights. It's even arguable that for many younger players, our old-fashioned plug-in-and-turn-er-up big iron are anomalous and even anachronistic. Their whole experience of electric guitar is mediated by more digital tech than analog - from youtube where they discover what they like and learn it, to their amplification.

In that context, how weak or even unbalanced in tone a pickup may be to the sensibilities of roots and classic rockers, and even shred metalists of later decades...might be irrelevant. There are always more gain stages in the device, which can be exploited at apartment and bedroom level. Maybe the underpowered spiky single-coils of the entry-level guitars of decades past will finally come into their own. They can sound great with enough gain and amp push.

Maybe that's where we are.

I like the black and gold double cut Jr with the P 90 neck.

To quote my younger brother, the REAL player in the family. "10 cents worth of equipment and a 100000 dollars worth of talent, OR 100000 worth of equipment and 10 cents worth of talent, produce the same results" I'm not sure about that, however, the wife and i were on a short cruise and while listening to a gentleman play piano and sing, I was quite impressed right up untill he stood up and went into the audience and the damn piano went on without him!

They are also Cosmonauts and not Astronauts.

Nice distinction, but I don't see where anyone in the thread called them astronauts.

I would totally go for the mint, sahara or single barrel stain with matching headstock Junior Jet if both pickups were P90s.

Side note/slight derail: Tim, just received the Tru-Arc Serpentune for my Gretsch G2622T-P90 Limited Edition Streamliner (Gunmetal). Guitar sounds clearer and brighter - a good thing since it's got a darker tone with stock bridge. I'm a very happy noisemaker here. Thanks!

You're welcome, sir. I put one on mine too!

I would like to see it be a p90 bridge pup too. I won’t even complain if they left the neck pup off!

Nato body, nato neck, Broad'Tron bridge pickup and a P90 neck pickup on a thin solid body guitar sounds like a great recipe to me.

Back in the old days (late 2000s) I put a Gretschbucker in the bridge position of a parts Strat and the pickup came alive. It was awesome in there. It was fat and full but not at all muddy. It was one of the main reasons I put a TV Jones Power'Tron in my curent Strat. I would choose this guitar over anything else in its price range. I bet its cost:effect ratio is really high.

I really should give one of these Junior Jets a try as stock. I just pulled the trigger on a non-Gretsch with a similar configuration - a Sublime Tomcat Deluxe:

Mine doesn't have a Bigsby...yet, maybe? We'll see...

Nato body, nato neck, Broad'Tron bridge pickup and a P90 neck pickup on a thin solid body guitar sounds like a great recipe to me.

Back in the old days (late 2000s) I put a Gretschbucker in the bridge position of a parts Strat and the pickup came alive. It was awesome in there. It was fat and full but not at all muddy. It was one of the main reasons I put a TV Jones Power'Tron in my curent Strat. I would choose this guitar over anything else in its price range. I bet its cost:effect ratio is really high.

– BuddyHollywood

I've got question---

What are the two knobs?

I've got question---

What are the two knobs?

– wabash slim

"Controls Volume 1. (Neck Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Master Volume, Master Tone."

I copied and pasted this from the website - It appears there should be 4 knobs according to this description. I'm guessing it's a master volume below the P90 and a master tone below the bridge.

I really should give one of these Junior Jets a try as stock. I just pulled the trigger on a non-Gretsch with a similar configuration - a Sublime Tomcat Deluxe:

Mine doesn't have a Bigsby...yet, maybe? We'll see...

– Surfysonic

Derail update:

Well, this turned out to be a bust...literally. Received word today from the Reverb seller (brick & mortar store in CA) that the Sublime Tomcat Deluxe I purchased was sent to them poorly packaged by Sublime, resulting in damage to the guitar. They issued me a refund without me asking, so kudos to the store at least for the prompt refund turnaround.

Very disappointing - I want to give new builders a shot even though I'll always be devoted to Gretsch and Fender. However, if you package your guitars poorly for shipment, it certainly doesn't instill confidence in your brand, even if the actual guitar might be awesome.

...oh well, I'll have a gander at the Squier Classic Vibe '50s Esquire coming out soon...

Register Sign in to join the conversation