Electromatics

Gretschbucker mod

Yep. A little discussed technique if you are willing to step out of your comfort zone a bit is to remove the screws entirely up and out of one coil of each bucker. I just did this for both - kept the outermost screw poles and removed the inner two. Still quiet and sort of P90 like. Sorry if this has already been discussed and I missed it. I didn't come up with this, but this is a reversible and transformative mod that is completely free. Be gentle and careful and keep the poles if you change your mind. Tone is not at all like raising and lowering the pole screws - it make single coils out of them, only with dummy coils that give it a richer flavor and pretty quiet. YMMV, but I'm diggin it in my G5120. 8-)

A little discussed technique if you are willing to step out of your comfort zone a bit is to remove the screws entirely up and out of one coil of each bucker. AB

What about removing three of the screws in each coil instead of disabling a whole coil, ?? Like a staggered Fender humbucker?

A lot twangier, and maybe 30% brighter. Loses some of the HB oomph as expected, so turn the amp up two notches as you would for a Strat or Tele. I will try the 1/2 and 1/2 today, I suspect it might not be as effective if it disperses the magnetic field back to wide like a full HB. But it would be good to move the three lighter string poles towards the neck, and the three larger string poles back towards the bridge.

1/2 + 1/2 works too. I did that for the neck pup. The bridge is Soo good with one coil, no need to mess. Downsides? The only thing to note so far is the middle selector position is a bit thin now... twangy like the mid on a Tele.

Ritchie: I tried the 1/2 + 1/2 on the bridge but became a little fuzzier and less articulate. The neck became brighter - so I went back to 1/2 + 1/2 on the neck and all back coil on the bridge.

but it became a little fuzzier and less articulate. AB

Thanks.. Maybe because only half the signal is trying to generate a normal current in the original full winding, and with less signal available at the bridge anyway...

I don't know, but it's interesting. :)

A lot twangier, and maybe 30% brighter. Loses some of the HB oomph as expected, so turn the amp up two notches as you would for a Strat or Tele. I will try the 1/2 and 1/2 today, I suspect it might not be as effective if it disperses the magnetic field back to wide like a full HB. But it would be good to move the three lighter string poles towards the neck, and the three larger string poles back towards the bridge.

– Austin Burns

– AB

Thanks for letting us be the beneficiaries of your experiments!

Folks still want to buy those Filters... when they have that sound already in there waiting to be released. ;-)

Register Sign in to join the conversation