Modern Gretsch Guitars

Country Club: Spruce top vs Curly Maple top

I would love to hear someones experience with this.. thanks, mike

I have limited experience with Country Clubs, but the little I have is consistent with the differences between spruce and (laminated) maple tops on Gibson and Epiphone guitars. (We're talking hollow bodies here.)

Examples: The ES-175 has a laminated maple top; the L-4 is essentially the same design with a solid spruce top. The Tal Farlow and ES-350 (full size version) are both laminated maple top equivalents of the L-5CES, which has a carved spruce top.

Spruce is a softer wood than maple, so is typically more resonant. The spruce-topped guitars I've played have all been slightly louder acoustically than their maple-topped counterparts, with a warmer and richer tone. Amplified, the maple-topped guitars tend to have slightly more definition of attack and a brighter tone, while the spruce ones have more complexity. Maple also seems to be more feedback-resistant, although this may also be related to the fact that maple hollow bodies usually have laminated construction while spruce is more typically solid.

Hope this is helpful.

Pretty good for a keyboard player!

– Rhythmisking

He is learning something from guitar players, of all people.

If you live somewhere with extremes in temperature, just be aware that like an acoustic, a spruce top Gretsch needs extra care.

I had a G6040 with cat's eyes and it had two long cracks from the end of the cat's eyes to the bottom bout due to improper storage. I have seen several G6040s with this type of problem and have heard about at least one CC that cracked like this as well.

So just be aware that you may need to store the guitar in the case with a humidifier when you're not playing it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation