Electromatics

GRETSCH G100CE SYNCHROMATIC modding??

This is probably trivial, I recently bought a G100CE. I need to put it through a bit more of a test musically, though it fared well against guitars from other builders in similar price range. Unfortunately don't have it here while I am writing. The one I got has the blonde finish.

I bought it from a colleague, in the process of moving his guitar shop (and having a clearance sale) combined with my budget.

I am more a fan of the late 1950s Gretsch styling, than the 1940s "Vintage" look. I was set on a different model. One of my early musical mentors had, I believe, a Country Club, or something similar, but this good deal on a new G100CE, came along.

Getting to the main point: Without any major butchering of the instrument, It might be attractive to make a more "Modern" alternative Pickguard. A pickguard roughly the shape of the "6120" pickguard, notched to fit the G100CE pickup.

The White trace on the perimeter, along with the lettering should have a good visual effect.

It could be made from Black (Black-White-Black) engravers' stock, with "Gretsch" logo in curved portion, as usual. The knobs mounted above the logo (same knobs as stock G100CE part). Potentiometer holes along with pickguard bracket screw hole, aligned in a symmetric manner above logo. Also any adjustments needed to keep electronics away from guitar body.

I did a crude (not to scale) drawing (attached ".jpg" photo) of a White pickguard to show what I roughly think it should look like

However, I like the basic tailpiece better than the Bigsby.

Also, if someone wanted to try a different pickup, does TV Jones make version of any of their pickups or mounting hardware (as needed) got the G100CE? (the "Duo-Tron" sounds like it might be interesting.

This is probably trivial, I recently bought a G100CE. I need to put it through a bit more of a test musically, though it fared well against guitars from other builders in similar price range. Unfortunately don't have it here while I am writing. The one I got has the blonde finish.

I bought it from a colleague, in the process of moving his guitar shop (and having a clearance sale) combined with my budget.

I am more a fan of the late 1950s Gretsch styling, than the 1940s "Vintage" look. I was set on a different model. One of my early musical mentors had, I believe, a Country Club, or something similar, but this good deal on a new G100CE, came along.

Getting to the main point: Without any major butchering of the instrument, It might be attractive to make a more "Modern" alternative Pickguard. A pickguard roughly the shape of the "6120" pickguard, notched to fit the G100CE pickup.

The White trace on the perimeter, along with the lettering should have a good visual effect.

It could be made from Black (Black-White-Black) engravers' stock, with "Gretsch" logo in curved portion, as usual. The knobs mounted above the logo (same knobs as stock G100CE part). Potentiometer holes along with pickguard bracket screw hole, aligned in a symmetric manner above logo. Also any adjustments needed to keep electronics away from guitar body.

I did a crude (not to scale) drawing (attached ".jpg" photo) of a White pickguard to show what I roughly think it should look like

However, I like the basic tailpiece better than the Bigsby.

Also, if someone wanted to try a different pickup, does TV Jones make version of any of their pickups or mounting hardware (as needed) got the G100CE? (the "Duo-Tron" sounds like it might be interesting.

Man, I don't know if you are still on here, but I am so with you about the pickguard. I love the guitar, the pickguard is horrible, in my opinion. Been trying to make one, but have been unsuccessful. I also succeeded in screwing up the pots connections, and had to resolder. A friend of mine is cutting a piece of teak he has, and I am going to try again. We shall see...

Register Sign in to join the conversation