Electromatics

Gretsch 5129

I've found a 519 on a french website. Probably one of the first serial. The bigsby used on it is the same than the Elliott Easton model. Can you help me. Enclosed a picture of the Elliott Easton for the bigsby model.

Help you do what? Quelle est la question?

Help you do what? Quelle est la question?

– Thomas

the bigsby look wrong for me. Not on the Elliott Easton but on the 5129. I'vnt found any picture of this guitar with this kind of bigsby.

The early ones had the licensed Bigsby with the tension bar. The bridge is top mounted and therefore fixed. I think that's a not-so-perfect combo on a Gretsch hollow body. If you can't get it ridiculously cheap I'd stay away from it. It will be no better than your modded 5120.

It just doesn't look right to me.

World of a difference.

I had one of the first run 5129 with fixed bridge and tension Bigsby. Played and sounded great, but the Bigsby felt odd.

Yeah, that would be an older model. While I never played those, I think I'd wait for a newer one. But for aesthetic reasons only, I'm guessing they would play pretty much the same.

The problem with waiting is that you don't see 5129s that often out there. I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to get a 5120 on the cheap and swap the pickups. Is it possible to buy DeArmonds 2000 off the shelf? Would it be simple to install them?

I had one of the first run 5129 with fixed bridge and tension Bigsby. Played and sounded great, but the Bigsby felt odd.

– mark t

I never used a Bigsby with a tension bar, I wonder how they feel. Would you care to elaborate on that?

I never used a Bigsby with a tension bar, I wonder how they feel. Would you care to elaborate on that?

– Nicolás

It just felt like a bit of a fight to use it. Not fluid like a B6. That being said, I played a Billy Zoom jet with the tension bar bigsby, amd it felt fine so it couldve been the guitar, or the fact that the 5129 is a B70 licensed version.

I've run the strings both over and under the tension bar of my Pro Jet. The Bigsby felt the same either way. Bring on the flames!

The early ones had the licensed Bigsby with the tension bar. The bridge is top mounted and therefore fixed. I think that's a not-so-perfect combo on a Gretsch hollow body. If you can't get it ridiculously cheap I'd stay away from it. It will be no better than your modded 5120.

– sascha

Thanks. At last i've missed the auction. I will stay with my 5120 and my 3140 (and the rockingham) and save my money for another kind of guitar.

There's really nothing wrong with the old 51XXs. A common quirk is a perfectly straight neck with no tension on the truss rod. Because of that, I can't string mine with 10s or lighter. I'd have to raise the bridge too high. But with 10.5s or higher I can get the action as low as I want it. The one legitimate issue that some people have with an older 51XX is that the Bigsby handle doesn't extend far enough in the direction of the neck for them. For me that's not a problem.

I'd offer up my 5129 since the neck is too chunky for me, but I'm stateside, and I believe ga bu zo meu is in France.

Yep, his screen name gives him away…
Et les shadok pompaient, pompaient….

always liked the b6/floating bridge version of the 5129…

witness- in the hands of a good player-

cheers

cheers

– neatone

this gdp member is a guitar killer.

I got a 2005 5129 with the floating bridge and b60 licensed. I’m loving it.

The first of the 512X series with the DeArmond 2000s were made by Peerless. They make very good guitars but they usually use the B70/700 series of licensed Bigsbys with the tension bars. Not sure if the switch to B60 Bigsbys coincides with the switch of manufacturers to SPG but that would not surprise me in the least. I think that Peerless uses a shallower neck angle that requires the use of the tension bar. Others may correct me.

Also, there is a rule of thumb that when the bridge is attached to the top as the early ones are you need a tension bar because of the angle at which the bridge is mounted. When the bridge is floating (even if the bridge has been pinned or glued) you use a non-tension bar.

As I recall, the 512x series was intended to use the B6 Bigsby. It just didn't work on the first production run, so the B7's were used until the guitar body could be corrected.

If your looking for a good guitar, I think the 512X model with the B6 and DeArmonds are the ones to look for.

Lee

cheers

– neatone

DAMN!

I have a 5129 and had the opportunity to add t armonds, which I did. Always thought I'd get another so I could enjoy the original pups. Sad day when this range was discontinued but that's the modern way I guess.

Register Sign in to join the conversation